Poll: Does a film being in 3D affect your chances of watching it?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Movies] Does a film being in 3D affect your likelihood of seeing it?

Since the release of Avatar (The one with blue people and the Alien nudity) Hollywood seems to be obsessed with 3D, many films such as The Hobbit are being filmed in 3D and others are being retrofitted (Having 3D stuck on after filming).

So does a film being filmed in 3D or retrofitted affect your chances of watching it in the cinema? Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the fact I can't see 3D, it really doesn't affect me in the slightest. I pay cheaper to see, what to me is, the exact same movie I don't have to wear silly glasses for. What does affect me is that there are fewer 2D showings (at time of release) and they're shown on the slightly smaller screens.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

I. HATE. 3D movies.

Given that

1) I wear glasses, so 3d glasses on top are highly uncomfortable
    2) They make my head ache
    3) They give absolutely nothing to the movie "immersion" will not exist until we have holographic _true_ 3d in the cinema. Which probably takes a few decades to get even prototyped.
    4) They cost more.

So no, if I can watch a movie in 2D, I _may_ watch it. If I _have_ to watch a movie in 3D, I will 99% not watch it. Exceptions are movies I've really been looking forward to. Avengers was one of them, sadly...

Good guy Nolan - made Batman in 2D.

Yes, I'd be LESS likely to watch a movie in 3D, I don't enjoy wearing paper 2 colored glasses just so stuff can look like it's barely coming out of the screen

3D does not amuse me, I live in 4D FFS.

I don't mind 3d movies but it kinda does effect if I liek it or not, but it also depends on what kinda movie it is.

---------- Post added 2012-08-21 at 02:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Given the fact I can't see 3D, it really doesn't affect me in the slightest. I pay cheaper to see, what to me is, the exact same movie I don't have to wear silly glasses for. What does affect me is that there are fewer 2D showings (at time of release) and they're shown on the slightly smaller screens.
    oh thats the kinda 3d we're talking about? lol

Deleted
    I voted Yes, but not in a possitive way. If a movie is shown in 3D, I don't want to watch it. I wait for the regular non-3D version to be shown, and go for that.
    3D can be fun.. but only in some movies. A lot of movies there's no point in having it. The first movie I saw in 3D was Tron, and it was really pointless and poorly implemented. Perhaps if the cinemas showed a 3D verion without subtitles I could be convinced to see it, but the subtitles on a 3D movie is so annoying. You kinda have to set your focus zoomed all out to watch the subtitles, and then focus zoom in again to watch the actual movie. All that changing your focus gives me a headache.

Majority of the time I will avoid seeing a film in 3D, simply because they have just a handful of 3D scenes which are barely worth the trouble. Not worth the extra few £ and the chore of having to wear the 3d glasses simply for about 3 scenes of a movie.

I hate 3d. The picture quality is shit and it gives me a headache.

Yes - if a movie is being shown in 3D, I can't see it.

Deleted
    Yupp im 3D blind so if its in 3D i wont watch it however there is usaly always a non 3D version of all movies so i watch that.

10+ Year Old Account
    the only movie I've seen that actually benefited from 3d was Avatar.
    I have seen upwards 25 movies in 3d. and I actually liked the DVD version better when that came out.

on top of that 3d movies are around 25% more expensive in ticket prices.
    Tarren Mill, EU
    Tussee Level 110
    Ygtitte Level 110, Daènerys Level 110, Hotlava Level 110,
    Palefoot Level 110, Elemulius Level 110, Tussedk Level 110,
    Thuesen Level 110, Briènne Level 110, Tussebank level 110
    Tipoldefar Level 110, Gnarfy Level 110

Couldn't have said it better than Grinderofl.

I wear glasses already and don't wear contacts, so there's really no point to begin with. And when I go to see a movie, I go to see the movie itself, not to have things popping out of the screen so I can jump back and go "ooooh! ahhhhh!".

The only 3D movie I ever saw was "Journey to the Center of the Earth" because I wanted to see what all the 3D hype was about and I rank it as the worst experience I've ever had at the theater. It was one of the only times I ever actually wanted to walk out. But I'm a cheapskate so I stuck it out.

Deleted
    Definitely. If I go see a movie it has to be in 2d and if 3d is the only version available then I wait until the dvd/bluray is released no matter how good the movie is rated. 3d just ruins my whole movie going experience.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-08-21 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dercaderca View Post
    I hate 3d. The picture quality is shit and it gives me a headache.
    Pretty much this. If I have to endure 3D longer than an hour I have to throw in aspirin before. And then they want me to pay even more for that? Yeah as if. So 3D actually decreases the likelihood I'm going to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinderofl View Post
    Good guy Nolan - made Batman in 2D.
    He deserved an award for that.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2012-08-21 at 09:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Considering I am unable to see the 3D in 3D movies, it matters little to me. I watch movies for the stories and special effects : )

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen a couple of 3D movies so far, Avatar being the first. After that, however, I didn't feel like they were as good. I also felt like I was overpaying. A movie being in 3D does not affect my decision on viewing it.

I've only seen two movies in 3D (Harry Potter and The avengers) and I really dislike it. For what ever reason my eyes can never focus on the "3D" effects so I get to watch a blurry mess at times so unless I'm going with friends who are dragging me along I will avoid 3D movies.

1) I wear glasses, so 3d glasses on top are highly uncomfortable
    Me too, though our Cinema Cities have special glasses you can put on top of yours. Unless you're some hipster with retro glasses it's close to 0 uncomfortable.

2) They make my head ache
    I need about 15 mins to get used to the 3D..

3) They give absolutely nothing to the movie "immersion" will not exist until we have holographic _true_ 3d in the cinema. Which probably takes a few decades to get even prototyped.
    Unless a movie can be projected directly into your mind - I don't see any realy immersion..

4) They cost more.
    Not really. In our cinemas it's the same price whether it's 2 or 3D, granting you already have glasses (you can keep them after your first movie in the cinema).

For me 3D is just another special effect on top of the regular explosions etc etc.. I never go to a cinema just because something is or is not 3D. Doesn't bother me much, doesn't hype me much either..

Though I'm never buying any 3D TV to my house.. I can live with those glasses in a cinema, but I'm totally not going to watch movies like this in home..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Yes, it affects my likelihood, but negatively. I hate 3D for two reasons. One, because I wear glasses when I watch movies to see details, and I can't wear 3D over glasses; and two, because I like my movies not 3D...

And I don't want to vote on the poll because I feel as if voting for "Yes" means I'm voting for 3D. That's not what it means technically, voting "Yes" would mean it affects me, but it doesn't show if it's negative or positive, but I feel people would take it that way (positively).
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-08-21 at 10:26 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I still haven't seen a 3d movie, I think the very idea is just retarded.