So Creating Apps for mobile Phones is the next big money maker

I watched a Doco on TV tonight about some young Entreprenuers from Australia who have created some

Apps for mobiles & I-pads and have moved to San Francisco USA to get them enhanced & marketed.

These guys are talking about making millions from apps .

My question is .. How easy is it to make an app..

Do you need to be a computer programmer??

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    My question is .. How easy is it to make an app..
    Not that hard to just make an app. The problem is making a good one.

Do you need to be a computer programmer??
    Well, yeah. Or hire one.

There are free courses through iTunes University that teach you how to make an app. One that comes to mind is the 3 course series from Stanford University. You take their programming 1&2, then you have the fundamentals to be able to learn iOS programming.

Each of the 3 is a full-fledged college-level course on programming though, so it's not for the faint of heart.

It's not the "next" big thing, it's the big thing right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    where have you been the last 3 years? you should think one step further though, apps are, well you have to find something that none has done before, that´s kind of hard these days

but you could allways reinvent a game that has existed for a long time, like destroy the castle -> angry birds and make a fortune
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    what we need to make is an app that locks down your phone when you are driving at over 30 mph im tired of the ads of stupid ppl getting hurt while textdriving, heck there was a guy driving on 2 lanes while i was on my way home cuz he was playing with his phone had to honk at the idiot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's not the "next" big thing, it's the big thing right now.
    Or even the last big thing. The markets are pretty saturated with "small apps", though Windows RT apps may be a emerging big market.

OT: As someone with a published iOS app, it's not the hardest thing ever, but it it would probably take a year or two of concerted learning to get to the point where you start making anything worthwhile if you've never done any computer science.

when something has hit mainstream.. it's already on the decline

Deleted
    I can only image that a very small percentage of apps are making 'big money'.

You'd have to sell a very large quantity of 69p apps to make any substantial money, and then Apple will take a cut.

I can't even see how people could make a profit on Android, what with the piracy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Programming experience is good if you want to make something decent and useful but not needed just to make a simple app.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I doubt you'll make millions, unless you have a really good idea/app

If someone needs ideas for an app PM me about it. I might have some ideas worth pursuing. Ideas I am too lazy to execute myself.
    Last edited by Vasti; 2012-08-21 at 02:49 PM.
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    what we need to make is an app that locks down your phone when you are driving at over 30 mph im tired of the ads of stupid ppl getting hurt while textdriving, heck there was a guy driving on 2 lanes while i was on my way home cuz he was playing with his phone had to honk at the idiot
    No, we need an app that somehow turns the telephone into a fan, that's what we need.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    wouldn´t be that hard though
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Probably the next economic bubble that investors can sink their money in like a bunch of tarts .
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2012-08-21 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    wouldn´t be that hard though
    idk if it should be a phone app a device built into new cars or a mix of both all i know is that someone should come up with something that stops people from playing with their phones while driving in the freeway because fines are failing as a deterrent
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-08-21 at 03:33 PM.