Thread: Smite DPS

Smite DPS

So who else is excited for epic holy damage spell dps?

I Feel it can now be done as both holy and disc, with different purposes.

With hit on the holy damage spells, more damage from smite when HF is on the target, penance reacting with atonement, smite lowering the CD on holy word: Chastise plus lvl 90 talents.

This is going to be good.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's still not very much damage. hardly compares to an actual dps class.
    Although i have been testing at level 85 on the PTR and don't know how everything scales, i would say Chakra: Chastise, and Atonement DPS are NOT DPS.

With Glyph of Reflective Shield, Discipline should at least be a fairly competent soloing spec though.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-08-21 at 02:55 PM.

Well atonement dps should definitely not be as good as regular dps because you are also getting healing out of spec, but its nice that it can be used with penance now.

but in holy with chakra, and the lvl 90s, i have not tested it yet, but after the 28th, I'll see how it goes.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Why would you want to dps as holy? The only possible situation I can imagine where it could be remotely useful is while questing and for that you can spec disc or shadow since both specs are better doing that.
    Last edited by mmoc3d05ee6dd7; 2012-08-21 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellgrimm View Post
    Why would you want to dps as holy? The only possible situation I can imagine where it could be remotely useful is while questing and for that you can spec disc or shadow since both specs are better doing that.
    Do you respec just to do quests?

What if I don't like the idea of shadow for dps.

And I said holy damage that could be disc or holy for damage
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2012-08-21 at 03:08 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Do you respec just to do quests?

What if I don't like the idea of shadow for dps.

And I said holy damage that could be disc or holy for damage
    I was asking just out of curiosity. I am holy/shadow (main holy) I spec shadow when I'm questing/soloing and when I'm forced to go disc I switch it with shadow and do the same with disc spec. Personally I think that the changes to smite dps in holy spec are not very interesting since we don't get to do it effciently enough to consider doing it in holy before disc or shadow. I know many people wants to try, but I can't see it as a real option.

On the other hand, in Disc spec these changes are much more noticeable, altough I try to stay away from disc (I don't like it :P).

PD: Do you know if the lvl90 talents trigger atonement?

i personally like to stay holy while im leveling because i hate switching when a Que pops. so i am interested in holy dps so it looks like the way to boost smite dps is just to glyph for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by hellgrimm View Post
    I was asking just out of curiosity. I am holy/shadow (main holy) I spec shadow when I'm questing/soloing and when I'm forced to go disc I switch it with shadow and do the same with disc spec. Personally I think that the changes to smite dps in holy spec are not very interesting since we don't get to do it effciently enough to consider doing it in holy before disc or shadow. I know many people wants to try, but I can't see it as a real option.

On the other hand, in Disc spec these changes are much more noticeable, altough I try to stay away from disc (I don't like it :P).

PD: Do you know if the lvl90 talents trigger atonement?
    I don't think they do because they can already heal, like halo heals and does damage to anything in its path, same with divine star, cascade works more like penance where it can heal or do damage, but now penance can trigger atonement so whatever.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    I'd rather have a melee hunter in my party if you are talking about anything outside questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'd rather have a melee hunter in my party if you are talking about anything outside questing.
    Really because all melee abilites got taken away from hunters and they can't equip melee weapons anymore, and a Disc Smite priest can heal while doing decent amounts of damage, and a holy smite priest might be able to pull some real good numbers.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Really because all melee abilites got taken away from hunters and they can't equip melee weapons anymore, and a Disc Smite priest can heal while doing decent amounts of damage, and a holy smite priest might be able to pull some real good numbers.
    You don't say, that was the point of my post. I'd rather take a useless class than a healer dealing damage.

Just like any other expension the dmg is just boosted a bit to help in questing...don't try making more out if it than it is.

Deleted
    I used to be a holy dps priest (in pvp) back in classic WoW when you could actually make hybrid specs work...

I expect Holy/Disc nuking to do roughly 1/3 the dmg of a "real" dps class, with the added benefit of healing as disc obviously and possibly some more dmg as holy.

Deleted
    Actually, hunter can still equip melee weapons (mainly staves) but they can't use any ranged abilities, only autoattack, since they now share the slot with ranged weapon. In fact, it's not a bad comparison, since the pet plus autoattack damage could be in par with holy priest dps, at least in live, I don't think anyone has actually taken numbers for this anyway.

While it's nice to see some improvement in the dps healing specs can do (holy, disc), I don't think it's going to be groundbreaking atleast for one of the two specs.

It would be no where near on par with holy priest dps on live, or in MoP
    Gamdwelf the Mage