Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    actually paragon 100 is kinda the end game thing now. atleast its the point where u stop gaining exp, so in a sense its like lvl 99 on d2 or d2lod. having the best gear doesnt necessarily make it the endgame cause that can be bought with no effort at all.

The goal didn't change from D2 to D3, which is to attain higher stats/killing speed. This is done through getting higher lvs and better gear.

Part of the process is different. D2 required killing monsters to attain gold/xp/and gear. D3 was to attain gold/xp/mats and a lottery-winning luck on better gear. If anything playing the AH well helps speed through the endgame more than playing the game.

Deleted
    I loved to craft artesan stuff in D2, D3 sux hard in that aspect

Slaying demons and getting better gear was D2's endgame, but that isn't how you get upgrades in D3: The problem is that you don't kill monsters, you go to the AH. It's too efficient. You can quickly upgrade every slot every visit, and it takes all the fun out of the game because when you use it, you're not playing the game. What's worse is that you can't just ignore it. Ignoring the AH won't make its effect on the drop rates go away; that's the biggest problem. The item hunt is far less rewarding than D2 was. Each farming run takes longer now, and on top of that, the chance you'll get something good is relatively abysmal. That's why there's no endgame; there's no reward--no strong incentive to keep playing. I know there are tons of people who do, and you're probably one of them if you're on this forum, but obviously there's a lot of people out there who didn't find it compelling enough to keep going, or threads like these wouldn't exist.

Thankfully, the first thing they talked about when announcing Reaper of Souls is that they're going to make playing the game the most efficient and rewarding way to earn loot, not the AH (if that's even still going to be something you can use with expansion characters). They're also going to put in loot runs that are shorter, more randomized, and more rewarding. It sounds like they've figured out why D3 had no endgame, and they might actually give it one in the expansion. Things are really looking up, and I'm excited to get back into the game with the expansion and have it last me a long time this time.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezaren View Post
    Slaying demons and getting better gear was D2's endgame, but that isn't how you get upgrades in D3: The problem is that you don't kill monsters, you go to the AH. It's too efficient. You can quickly upgrade every slot every visit, and it takes all the fun out of the game because when you use it, you're not playing the game. What's worse is that you can't just ignore it. Ignoring the AH won't make its effect on the drop rates go away; that's the biggest problem. The item hunt is far less rewarding than D2 was. Each farming run takes longer now, and on top of that, the chance you'll get something good is relatively abysmal. That's why there's no endgame; there's no reward--no strong incentive to keep playing. I know there are tons of people who do, and you're probably one of them if you're on this forum, but obviously there's a lot of people out there who didn't find it compelling enough to keep going, or threads like these wouldn't exist.

Thankfully, the first thing they talked about when announcing Reaper of Souls is that they're going to make playing the game the most efficient and rewarding way to earn loot, not the AH (if that's even still going to be something you can use with expansion characters). They're also going to put in loot runs that are shorter, more randomized, and more rewarding. It sounds like they've figured out why D3 had no endgame, and they might actually give it one in the expansion. Things are really looking up, and I'm excited to get back into the game with the expansion and have it last me a long time this time.
    They better like I don't mind obliterating the AH through manipulation because It's EZ but I actually do wanna do find loot. I remember playing 8 hours a god dam day and still not getting shit whos lvl 100 mind you.

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems is that Blizzard sold (via annual pass) D3 to WoW players, and that those players thought that they were going to be getting something akin to WoW when, in reality, they got something completely different. Don't get me wrong, D3 still had / has its problems, but there's also a lot of players who wouldn't have gotten the game unless it was free.

Just my $0.02.