Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

(RP) Why would a priest NOT wear plate?

Thanks to holy paladin we know that holy healing spells can be cast in full plate armor with no D&D-like change for failing for spells. (In D&D, your spells are very likely to fail if you're wearing armor)

So, you're a healing priest who's going to fight in... lets say Warsong Gulch. Why the hell would you go there with robes? Why not armor? It's a battle! What is the logic behind this?
    Last edited by yolmez86; 2012-08-21 at 06:47 PM.

Deleted
    they are too weak to carry it !

Their faith is stronger so the light is their armor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they're not handy with melee weapons. If they were then they'd be paladins, which is why they hide behind them in cloth.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2012-08-21 at 06:34 PM.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    they are too weak to carry it !
    This. Paladins are strong physical fighters as well. So we have the strength to don full plate armor.

Are they too weak for leather too? Anything is better than cloth!

I think that's where paladins came from in the first place.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

These are not the Clerics you are looking for.

think the OP never touched/lifted a real life plate armor :P

Quote Originally Posted by ruga View Post
    Hey, if I was going to battle, I would pack a little more than robes, a dagger and a book! Maybe not full plate but still...

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    just like in Ultima Online where Meditation won't work if you wear mail/plate

but not applicable to WoW as it's a tank&spawn PvE-based game, UO was 99% PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Their faith is stronger so the light is their armor.
    I love this answer. /tip hat

I'd have to say.. the same reason mages and warlocks wear cloth.. because.. they do? Blizzard made it that way, so it is that way to split up armor proficiency among the classes.. yes, in reality a cloth wearer could wear leather, mail, probably even plate in some cases (considering your class has no effect on your actual physical appearance so it can be assumed that say, an orc warrior and an orc warlock.. are equally as physically strong). but this would mess up how the game works. Plus, priests' shields and damage mitigation are OP enough in PvP, why give them that extra armor that you'd have to try to hit through?

Quote Originally Posted by resonance7982 View Post
    I'd have to say.. the same reason mages and warlocks wear cloth.. because.. they do? Blizzard made it that way, so it is that way to split up armor proficiency among the classes.. yes, in reality a cloth wearer could wear leather, mail, probably even plate in some cases (considering your class has no effect on your actual physical appearance so it can be assumed that say, an orc warrior and an orc warlock.. are equally as physically strong). but this would mess up how the game works. Plus, priests' shields and damage mitigation are OP enough in PvP, why give them that extra armor that you'd have to try to hit through?
    Less boring, more imagination please. I put the (RP) there for a reason.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    This. Paladins are strong physical fighters as well. So we have the strength to don full plate armor.
    Except that Holy doesn't stack +Str! They can barely move under all that weight!

Since Holy Paladins are essentially the AD&D "Cleric", I have been fine with considering Priests to be more of a "White Mage", to use the Final Fantasy terms. However, I have always felt that, as a nod to the AD&D Cleric, Priests should at least be able to equip spell shields like Shammies and Holy Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by ruga View Post
    A properly made (and properly worn, i guess) plate armor doesn't hinder your movement. It is a common misconception. Sure, you wouldn't use it as a jogging cloth.

On the topic:
    From RP point of view, priests shouldn't be in the battle in the first place. They're tending the wounded and staying behind the line. Unless you're shadow, but with shadow the same logic used for mages and warlocks applies.

From a balance perspective, you would expect Priests to wear plate if they are designed to "tank" players and mobs in PvP. It is fairly ironic that a paladin, who does wear plate, to have better CC then a priest.

Oh well, this game wasn't designed for PvP, and they have been awful slow correcting this like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Except that Holy doesn't stack +Str! They can barely move under all that weight!
    the skill to wear plate means they are strong enough to wear plate armor.

stacking strength means you are strong enough to kill a t-rex with a punch.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Have you ever seen a priest real life in plate? Most "Priest" type guys are wearing white robes AKA cloth.
    Rogues wear leather because chain would make to many noise, and cloth is to weak + quicker escape with leather
    Shamans wear mail because they need to stay in touch with the elements.

Try running away in plate and then in cloth, see who is faster?

The answer really does come down to the strength of the Light, which is an armor in itself. Priests don't need the plate to protect themselves when the Light can wrap around them in a powerful shield to ward off damaging attacks. Also, most Priests are in the back tending to the wounded and sick. Tyrande Whisperwind is a prime example of this.
    Last edited by caninepawprints; 2012-08-21 at 06:56 PM.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail