Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

too little too late?

how did the diablo 3 team not realize there needs to be some type of end game progression to keep people playing? was it that they thought people would be working on inferno for more than a year or something?

it just seems like a huge oversight and im surprised they had to learn it the hard way.

i'm happy the champion level system was implemented, but sometimes i think, is it too little too late for diablo 3?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    how did the diablo 3 team not realize there needs to be some type of end game progression to keep people playing? was it that they thought people would be working on inferno for more than a year or something?

it just seems like a huge oversight and im surprised they had to learn it the hard way.

i'm happy the champion level system was implemented, but sometimes i think, is it too little too late for diablo 3?

Why do you feel the need to play this game everyday for years?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    This is what I have to ask. Diablo 3 is not a sub game that is supposed to have unlimited content like WoW. Stop playing for a while and come back again some other time.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    not sure what i wrote that made u think that i need to play this game everyday for years...

---------- Post added 2012-08-21 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This is what I have to ask. Diablo 3 is not a sub game that is supposed to have unlimited content like WoW. Stop playing for a while and come back again some other time.
    people aren't asking for unlimited content. but i think they were* asking for something to look forward to after hitting 60 and beating inferno. (like min maxing there char)
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Not really. It'll be too late if after the first expansion the game still hasn't had the kinks ironed out, and considering how many kinks they just worked out I think they'll manage to have it pretty smooth by then, and many will come back for the expansion if they hear it's good.

how did the diablo 3 team not realize there needs to be some type of end game progression to keep people playing?
    because they fucking suck that's why. i mean look at jay wilsons resume before D3 - el, oh, fucking el.

with that said, they seems to suck less and less each patch. i don't think it's too late. last minute yes, but i think they made it.
    Last edited by Joey Ray III; 2012-08-21 at 08:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure what i wrote that made u think that i need to play this game everyday for years...

Not sure what you typed?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

people aren't asking for unlimited content. but i think they were* asking for something to look forward to after hitting 60 and beating inferno. (like min maxing there char)
    I have 160 hours of play time with Diablo 3. I had 15 hours with Rage and 41 hours with the Fallout 3 game of the year edition and whopping 2 hours with Duke Nukem 4ever.

So I've gotten more hours of play from one game, than 3 games I bought afterwards. Though I guess to be a little fair, I could have gotten more hours out of RAGE had I played again on the harder difficulties.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2012-08-21 at 08:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    because they fucking suck that's why. i mean look at jay wilsons resume before D3 - el, oh, fucking el.

with that said, they seems to suck less and less each patch. i don't think it's too late. last minute yes, but i think they made it.
    Lets see yours? Since you seem to be an expert.

10+ Year Old Account

To say that they should have realized a "end game" progression was needed isnt fair, D2 doesnt have what is considered end game by today's standards. What they should have realized is that since Diablo doesnt have an end game, you needed to have something to that goes beyond the last level of difficulty i.e. higher level cap, collectable items like rune words and skulls, armor sets, and interesting gear and for shits sake PvP!
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-08-21 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I have 160 hours of play time with Diablo 3. I had 15 hours with Rage and 41 hours with the Fallout 3 game of the year edition and whopping 2 hours with Duke Nukem 4ever.

So I've gotten more hours of play from one game, then 3 games I bought afterwards. Though I guess to be a little fair, I could have gotten more hours out of RAGE had I played again on the harder difficulties.
    Most people were willing to spend 100+ brainless hours in D3 because they were expecting an end game. Its like sitting through another 85 levels on an alt so you can heal/tank/dps in your guild's raid.

If players knew there was no end game, they would only sit through the 10 hours of normal difficulty.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-08-21 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post

Yeah, why dont you go take a look at Jay Wilsons Resume. You might be shocked to see that he was heavily involved with DoW2, one of the most original and interesting RTS's released since SC. Your comment shows just how ignorant you are. Educate yourself before degrading yourself. I would be willing to bet money that DoW2 is one of the main reasons JW was hired at Blizzard.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2012-08-21 at 08:12 PM.

I agree, D3 had everything lined up for it, from hordes of fans to irrelevant wow players and great publicity. Paragon levels are a great idea and they will add some desperately needed purpose to the game, but it is not enough for me. I wanted a dark grindy dungeon crawler, not a stock market.

I dont think its too litle, i do think its too late, specially with the big monsters coming next week (GW2 and MoP).

This would have been great if it was implemented a couple months ago when nothing big and new was in the market

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That's your answer? We are gamers. We love to play games endlessly. If a company said: "Hey, want the fun to last? Play less." they'd be laughed out of the industry.

Not that it matters much to me anyway. Unless the they add a real random world generator so the randomness is more like D2 and not just "oh this time THIS cellar is open and THIS trapdoor is locked, and make it worth grinding for gear and not just for gold to go to the AH I'm not playing it. Got bored in less than a month.
    Last edited by TylerGamer84; 2012-08-21 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2012-08-21 at 07:59 PM ----------

well there is a rumor of a super hard more where you can only die ONCE and then you would have to start from scratch all over again for those that really like it ...hard core...

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Most people were willing to spend 100+ brainless hours in D3 because they were expecting an end game. Its like sitting through another 85 levels on an alt so you can heal/tank/dps in your guild's raid.

If players knew there was no end game, most players would only sit through the 10 hours of normal difficulty.
    I guess it's good that I didn't know what to expect going in. I'll agree I would have spent less if I knew it was just purely rinse and repeat. I was thinking, maybe more levels opened up or something. Then again, looking at my wife's account she has over 100 hours and I told her that nothing would change, and sadly she doesn't have any toon at 60 yet.

I dunno, Only Battlefield 3 has gotten has many hours, but it came out in Oct, so not a 100% apples to apples comparison. But I understand some people were looking for D3 to last them years, I didn't play either D1 or D2. So I don't get how anyone can just keep playing the same thing over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Not really. It'll be too late if after the first expansion the game still hasn't had the kinks ironed out, and considering how many kinks they just worked out I think they'll manage to have it pretty smooth by then, and many will come back for the expansion if they hear it's good.
    Nailed it.

Most people who DO drone on about the years they spent and still spend playing D2 (I know the OP didn't, just referencing) don't remember how awful that game was at launch. Most people only remember post 1.1. Blizzard prides themselves on releasing the best game they can, not a moment sooner, but they also pride themselves on going back and righting the oversights they had during development.

The reason I still buy every game they release is I know that most of the things I dislike will most likely be fixed later on. I feel like this patch does a great job for the most part. Is the game perfect yet? no. They'll keep working on it though. +1 to Blizz, in my book ^_^

Lets see yours? Since you seem to be an expert.
    i'm not a D3 team lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    he was heavily involved with DoW2, one of the most original and interesting RTS's released since SC.
    the what? how's that relevant to diablo? even if it was he didn't need to be 'interesting' or 'original'. all he needed to do is not to fuck up.
    Last edited by Joey Ray III; 2012-08-21 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerGamer84 View Post
    That's your answer? We are gamers. We love to play games endlessly. If a company said: "Hey, want the fun to last? Play less." they'd be laughed out of the industry.
    That is my answer. Most games are not designed to be played forever. While it's hoped that a game will always have a cult following, only a few games forever expand. You can't lump every game that Blizzard has made into the mold of World of Warcraft.