Thread: True Damage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It's a wording thing. True damage is both a form of damage and when you bypass all their armor/MR to deal maximum damage.

It's quite frankly a stupid thing to argue about, though I will admit I have been through the same with my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    Yeah I know it's stupid but that is besides the point, I am not really that raged about the argument. Just the fact that he muted me and now I am on a mission. (When he muted me he kept shouting how I was wrong yada yada) And I think you are wrong wordup. There are three types of damage in LoL - Magic, Physical and True http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/True_damage

So "technically" it is not true damage even if you are ignoring all resist. It is almost exactly "like" true damage but it is not. It's still magic damage unless it says true damage.

Anyone else? It's like 50/50 right now.
    First of all, both you and your friend are nothing other than geniuses, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If they do, kick them in the nuts, it's a proper intellectual response coming from a genius like you.

Now, you will have to forgive wordup for he is not a genius like you but he did try his best to elevate himself to your level so he could share his humble opinion with an esteemed higher being that you are. He obviously failed at doing so, but then again, he did raise an interesting point. Is true damage only the damage written in white or can we consider other types of damage that is not mitigated by resistances as true damage?

Although we obviously have a clear differentiation in regards to damage types (physical, magic and true) the reason why true damage is called that is because it is true to its tooltip. If it says that certain skill does 100 true damage, that skill will do that damage regardless of opponents armor or magic resistance or some other form of damage reduction. Now if it says that a certain skill does 100 magic damage and you have enough magic penetration and magic reduction to reduce target's mr to 0, you will be doing 100 magic damage to the target. So in the end, both skills are doing true damage because the damage is true to the damage written in the skill tooltip.

And don't forget that both you and your friend are geniuses. A true blessing to humanity.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Axethor; 2012-08-23 at 12:31 AM.

You sure had an idiotic argument.

It's an incredibly common phrasing to say you're doing true damage when your magic/armor pen is equal or greater than the target's resist/armor. It's not technically correct, since those abilities can still be reduced by defensive abilities unlike proper true damage, but all the phrase is implying is that your abilities/attacks are doing their full damage, instead of suffering reduction.

In the game mechanics sense, the attack is classified as "magic" "physical" or "true." You can't alter those.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

true dmg is so dumb hate it

I'm not sure what's worse....raging over something as stupid as this and being on a mission to prove someone wrong, or your idiot friend muting you over it. Equally stupid, actually. You should both stop playing for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thigrai View Post
    So yes, you're friend is correct in the sense that he is dealing true damage to opponents.
    He is dealing unmitigated damage to opponents.

True Damage ignores Armor and Resist.
    Unmitigated Damage is produced when you have enough Penetration.

Edit: Offtopic
    Quote Originally Posted by Makoblade View Post
    It's how you figure out who's an Alliance spy, amirite. How's that RBG team doing these days? fyi I quit long ago.
    Last edited by Liquephyre; 2012-08-22 at 07:19 PM.
    Grammar- It's the difference between knowing your shit & knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquephyre View Post
    He is dealing unmitigated damage to opponents.

True Damage ignores Armor and Resist.
    Unmitigated Damage is produced when you have enough Penetration.

Edit: Offtopic

It's how you figure out who's an Alliance spy, amirite. How's that RBG team doing these days? fyi I quit long ago.
    Haha, exactly!

Unmitigated damage is certainly a more accurate term for what the friend was trying to say.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makoblade View Post
    Haha, exactly!

Unmitigated damage is certainly a more accurate term for what the friend was trying to say.
    Stand back, semantic arguments are something of a specialty of mine!
    :P

true damage is true damage, and if you have enough Mpen to make enemy armor/resist 0 you cannot go lower then 0 and you will not do more damage
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
    true damage is true damage, and if you have enough Mpen to make enemy armor/resist 0 you cannot go lower then 0 and you will not do more damage
    You might want to know what you're talking about before adding to a discussion - http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_penetration
    Flat magic resistance reduction stacks additively.

Example: 20 magic resistance reduction reduces the target's magic resistance by 20, so a target with 30 magic resistance will be reduced to 10 magic resistance. (30 − 20 = 10)

Flat magic resistance reduction can reduce a target's magic resistance below zero. For example, if an enemy with 10 magic resistance has their magic resistance reduced by 25, the enemy will have −15 magic resistance.
    Last edited by Liquephyre; 2012-08-23 at 05:15 AM. Reason: my original post was pretty mean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    No.

True damage by definition is damage that avoids all resists. However, if you have more pen than they have resists, you will be doing true damage. You cannot reduce their resists into the negatives, only shred it down to zero. If you do 200 damage and their MR reduces it by 50%, but then you have more pen than they do MR, even if it's significantly more, you will still do exactly 200 damage.

You are technically dealing true damage when you exceed their resists with your penetration. You are in essence wrong, but the whole argument is very stupid.
    You can reduce resists bellow 0 and do more damage than the skill would normally do. Problem is that this always takes champion ability that does this, because items don't allow you to do very much ( 44 with malady and abyssal is only enough to bring negative MR for guys that never buy it nor do they get it from levels ).
    The best way to see it actually is just to grab AS on Ahri and shoot orb at minion wave - it will do more damage when you throw it than when it comes back.

Deleted
    You are right, true damage is different from magic damage or physical damage, simply because the true dmg, pierces all armor and mr you have, it doesn't matter if you have armor pen or magic pen it still goes throw all of their resistance.

While magic dmg and ad dmg, even if the enemy has 0 armor and 0 mr, you aren't dealing true damage, you're still dealing that type of dmg but at it's fullpower so to speak.

People just say that because it's like dealing true damage, although it's not called true damage. Considering there's really no word for doing the full damage of an ability, I think, people just try to pick an existing word that means almost the same thing, hence people saying true damage. Tbh I think it's not a big deal but since your friend muted you because of that, yeah you need to prove him wrong :P

Quote Originally Posted by Liquephyre View Post
    You might want to know what you're talking about before adding to a discussion - http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_penetration
    His statement was technically true, no amount of magic penetration will reduce someone's MR below zero. For that you need flat magic resist reduction.