Thread: Ati v Nvidia

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Ati v Nvidia

im looking at purchasing a new gpu and wondering if i should even consider nvidia or not after ati's recent price drop. ive been checking online and ive seen some posts about nvidia having adaptive vsync, TXAA, FXAA, physx but tbh i dont really understand what they are, are they a good enough reason to consider nvidia even at their current prices?

Depends on your budget.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    nvidia has released the 660Ti ...
    is about 300€ ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    is about 300€ ...
    Was about to say that ^_^

About 2 weeks after i got my MSI GTX670

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Depends on your budget.
    budget is enough for 660ti, 670, 7950 (been advised against a 7970)

Get an Nvidia card imo.

I've got an Ati card atm, and the driver is just freaking terrible, had I gotten a dollar everytime my machine bluescreen with an "ATIMKPG" error, I would have bought myself a new card.

I'm not really a diehard Nvidia or Ati fan, but I just don't recall issues like this with the Nvidia cards I've had, everytime I boot up a game, it freezes after 3 minutes, and a minute later it either goes BSOD, or tells me that it restored the driver.

I've tried reinstalling windows, tried several drivers, and some "fixes" I read up on, on the net, nothing have worked so far, this shit happens wether i run in x-fire mode, or if I use either card by itself.

So yeah, get Nvidia, Ati drivers are just horrible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    is about 300€ ...
    i know the 660ti has been released, its 50 euro more than it should be

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post

pretty sure it was on the web for a good while saying it was going to be released on 16th

Deleted
    From what i've read the 660Ti offers better value for money over the 670 at almost the same performance. So if you wanna save yourself £100 get the 660ti and then go buy a lapdance 8-)

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 10:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mmocomment View Post
    i know the 660ti has been released, its 50 euro more than it should be

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 10:46 AM ----------

pretty sure it was on the web for a good while saying it was going to be released on 16th
    Wasn't hurting for money and wanted a card so i could use my old 560ti in the PC i built for my misses

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Get an Nvidia card imo.

I've got an Ati card atm, and the driver is just freaking terrible, had I gotten a dollar everytime my machine bluescreen with an "ATIMKPG" error, I would have bought myself a new card.

I'm not really a diehard Nvidia or Ati fan, but I just don't recall issues like this with the Nvidia cards I've had, everytime I boot up a game, it freezes after 3 minutes, and a minute later it either goes BSOD, or tells me that it restored the driver.

I've tried reinstalling windows, tried several drivers, and some "fixes" I read up on, on the net, nothing have worked so far, this shit happens wether i run in x-fire mode, or if I use either card by itself.

So yeah, get Nvidia, Ati drivers are just horrible.
    just out of interest which ati card have you?

7950 on the same league as 660ti but a lot cheaper with more memory.

Deleted
    Depends on the games you wanna play, Bf3 and Batman runs much better with Nvidia but games like The Witcher and Civ 5 runs better with AMD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post

so ? the gtx 660 is way too expensive.. if it would be 250 ok but 300 for a "mid range" card ? no ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boyrot View Post
    Depends on the games you wanna play, Bf3 and Batman runs much better with Nvidia but games like The Witcher and Civ 5 runs better with AMD.
    i cant really answer that one at the moment as i only really play wow due to bad pc, i have no idea what games i will be playing once i upgrade the pc but i know i wont just be playing wow

Performance wise, it's a tossup between budget and space. Both companies are going to offer comparable performance at near equal prices. Personally, I've been a user of Nvidia since they first started making cards. I've owned a couple Ati cards in my day, and the drivers always seem to have some issues.

Right now I'm using an old Nvidia 450 and it's been running great for years. Still plays every game I've owned on high-ultra settings without problems.

I would say get a nvidia card, I have a Raedon HD 6870 and I can't go through one day without my computer going to a black screen and saying "Amd display driver has stopped working and recovered" It's really annoying.
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2012-08-22 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    I would say get a nvidia card, I have a Raedon HD 6870 and I can't go through one day without my computer going to a black screen and saying "Amd display driver has stopped working and recovered " It's really annoying.
    Driver version? I've had my 7950 since March or April and not had a single crash.

Personally, I don't think the 660ti is worth 300 dollars, not with the 7950 priced as it is. Actually, the same goes for the GTX 670 and GTX 680. They are simply priced too high. Good cards, but they cost too much.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-08-22 at 10:08 AM.

Deleted
    I would say get a nvidia card, I have a Raedon HD 6870 and I can't go through one day without my computer going to a black screen and saying "Amd display driver has stopped working and recovered" It's really annoying.
    Had my 6870 for over a year and never had that problem, and will people please stop saying ATI, it's AMD now.

OT: go with whatever you prefer thats in your budget, be it 7870 or a 660.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Driver version? I've had my 7950 since March or April and not had a single crash.
    12.6 I've uninstalled all of my drivers using driver sweeper and reinstalled them I also uninstalled java and adobe flash and reinstalled them. My CPU and GPU temps are always fine I don't really know why it does it but I can't figure it out.
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2012-08-22 at 10:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

Personally, I don't think the 660ti is worth 300 dollars, not with the 7950 priced as it is. Actually, the same goes for the GTX 670 and GTX 680. They are simply priced too high. Good cards, but they cost too much.
    yeah thats kind of the point of my post, does what nvidia cards have to offer make up for the difference in price?

12.6 I've uninstalled all of my drivers using driver sweeper and reinstalled them I also uninstalled java and adobe flash and reinstalled them. My CPU and GPU temps are always fine I don't really know why it does it but I can't figure it out.
    I've got the same issue, using 5870 in xfire.

Nvidia drivers are better, I'd gladly pay the price difference just due to that.