Page 1 of 3
LastLast

SPOILERS - Rhonin

I am still not good at English, if you guys find any ambiguity or odd expression in this thread, please point out so I can right them, thanks.

So, as we know from spoilers, Rhonin is the one killed in the imminent Tides of War. And before the spoilers Metzen updated his blog which told us the death of this famous one "has its great meaning, it will advance the story."(not quite the literal words of Metzen, but I think the tenor is grasped)

And I really doubt the reality in his words after reading the spoilers.

The reason I say so is that Rhonin's coming to Jaina's aid is odd and illogical.
    As you guys know, Rhonin is the leader of Dalaran and Kirin Tor, which all the while insists their neutrality to the extent they even rejected to dispatch any representative to attend to the Alliance gathering held by Malfurion in the novel Wolfheart.

Then, how could it be possible that a neutral leader so flagrantly came to aid Jaina with Dalaran's elite magi against the Horde ? Remember there are many blood elves in Dalaran and their leader one of the Kirin Tor council, how could they possibly brook Rhonin so obviously being in favor of their enemy? But still Rhonin came and died. It's too irrational and at odds with common sense.

Besides, I find myself can't agree with that "Rhonin's death helps advance the story".
    The major thread of Tides of War is about Jaina's conversion from pacifist to a provoked warmonger, and the reason for such resulting conversion is, by Metzen's logic, 1)the ruination of Theramore and 2)Rhonin 's death.

But if you mull it over, it's not difficult to find out Rhonin's death is totally unnecessary, the reasonings are as below:

1)if Rhonin survived but Theramore did not, would Jaina go mad at Garrosh and try to obliterate Orgrimmar?
    Certainly! She's the leader of this city state and the one held responsible to it's citizens' safety, but Garrosh killed them ALL, anyone can't bear such atrocity.

2)if Theramore survived but Rhonin not, would Jaina go trying to wipe out all orcs as she did in the novel?
    Hardly. Never in game nor in any novel her friendship with Rhonin has ever been mentioned, so to her Rhonin is no more than a mage colleague. She might become angry at Garrosh, but never would she come up with the idea of killing all orcs to revenge him.

In short, Rhonin's death is unnecessary, or rather peripheral in effect at best.

See, Rhonin's death is quite abrupt, beyond all expectations, irrational and unnecessary. Quite to the contrary of "advancing the story", in my opinion his illogical presence and violent death in Theramore compromises the quality of the book.

And, too odd in timing to be coincidental, Krasus also died not a year ago in Goledn's novel Twilight of the Aspects.

Both Krasus and Rhonin are Knaak-created and the main characters in his novels. But they both have been "written to death" by the irrelevant Golden. Coincidental? Can't believe it.

To me, Krasus and Rhonin's death appears too "artificially designed" to sit well with the books' plots. It just gives me the feeling that "Metzen or Blizzard's got bored of Knaak's characters and decided to make Golden by the way wipe the key two(Krasus and Rhonin) out in her writing, even if the book's plots do not demand that."

When I read another one's thread who's in similar opinion with me, he/she minted the word "de-knaakfication", and this word I use to explain the reason for Krasus and Rhonin's death -- both unnecessary and too violent and tragic.

I may never know what has happened between Blizz and Knaark, whose partnership has lasted more than 10 years, even much more longer than WoW itself, that so suddenly Blizz turned it's back on Knaark and began so callously methodically and intentionally killing Knaak-created characters. You see, they even did not bother to demand Knaak do such work, which is rational, after all Knaak is the father of these characters, they just put him aside and called Golden to such unhappy things.

Is it because their contract ended? Any unhappy experience happened? or Blizz wanted to warn Knaak of something? We may only guess.

Still, whatever happened, either Knaak was forced to relinquish his characters or has quit writing any more WoW novel, such behaviors of Blizz profoundly sickened me. It's reckless at best. If Blizz doesn't want these characters to play any roles in this expansion, then let them be, there are too much more ways to make a novel exciting instead of producing gimmicks from their brutal deaths.

Look around, WoW is a world full of shattered families and broken souls, that gives forlorn feelings. But all the while Rhonin, Vereesa and their intact family is a solace to many, until this time Blizz decided to shatter it, rendering another woman husband-deprived and a pair of twins fatherless. I very much want to ask Blizz that what made you so mean and petty towards Krasus and Rhonin, whose creator has helped you extremely expanded the wow universe in the last decade? Have you so easily forgotten if Krasus and Rhonin had never existed, the Aspects and Deathwing would never have been, and the whole Cataclysm expansion the same?

I'd like say, as one of my earliest acquainted Warcraft heros, I always feel Rhonin like an old friend rather than lines of cold binary coding, he's exactly as a happy neighbor who has lovely wife and laughing children and every time I see them I feel the warmth well up in my heart and tell myself life is so beautiful. But now, knowing he is gone, is no more, my stomach churns and heart wrenches and the world goes sullen.

As to Blizz, be honest and sincere, it's behaviors make me think of a couple(Blizz and Knaak) ended up in violent divorce, and so distraught and maddened and furious was the wife, that to retaliate her ex-husband she resorted to abusing and exploiting his children--also her own children.

There are some words I want to tell Blizz, despite any troubles between you and Knaak, those characters you together created are still your children, venting personal gall upon children has never been recommended to parents. Besides, that's either not the way recommended to end a partnership. Future is unpredictable, what if some day the hot honeymoon between you and Golden ends? The story of wow will continue, it's rather probably Blizz will need other new authors to help expand the universe.Then, where to put those Golden-depicted characters? Will one day Jaina die ridiculously falling from the hovering Dalaran? Will Thrall be torn to pieces in front of his son? Will Anduin behold Varian assassinated by a black dragon? And, worst of all, will all these things happen shockingly, oddly, savagely, illogically and unnaturally concentrated within several months, only serving to make the introductions of new characters theatrical and affected?

No, Blizzard, exploiting them to slags then casually forsaking them is not the way parents are supposed to treat their children. Never the way.

Deleted
    rhonin is who again?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexl38 View Post
    rhonin is who again?
    The ginger human in dalaran who chills by the portals to caverns of time. He is (was) the leader of krin tor.
    Last edited by kingriku; 2012-08-22 at 03:45 PM.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree. It is quite obvious Blizzard just wanted to kill Krasus and Rhonin off. Rhonin's death severed no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexl38 View Post
    rhonin is who again?
    well, he and Krasus are both major characters of several official Blizzard novels like Day of the Dragon, War of the Ancients Trilogy, Night of the Dragon.
    Remember the ultimate boss of this expansioneathwing? He first appeared in Warcraft II, but was fleshed out by the novel Day of the Dragon with other dragon aspects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im fine with Rohnin dying :3 never really cared about him ,and if hes death can make some really intresting plots. Bring it

People actually liked Rhonin?

Wait, dumb question. People liked Twilight too. Blatant self-insert Mary Sues sell.

If Rhonin is dead, than he's no longer a Mary Sue if you ask me. *gives the crown to Thrall*

10+ Year Old Account
    Rhonin can't die..he has two elf-human freak children , dalaran and a raptor army to lead

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    If Rhonin is dead, than he's no longer a Mary Sue if you ask me. *gives the crown to Thrall*
    Being dead doesn't magically un-write all of Knaak's purple prose about him, the moniker stands.

"The major thread of Tides of War is about Jaina's conversion from pacifist to a provoked warmonger, and the reason for such resulting conversion is, by Metzen's logic, 1)the ruination of Theramore and 2)Rhonin 's death."

Here is the thing, Blizzard never, never, never ever, never changes their characters from who they are.

Jaina will appear to become a war monger, but by the end of the story, mists, whenever, she will prove to be the same character forever and always was, and choose to be a peaceful character who only wants to find the common ground between the Alliance and Horde.

Thrall, will always always be the same Mary Sue character that he has always been.

Garrosh, at the end of the day is the same hot headed son of the father who believes in strength and power alone.

Blizzard bad guys sort of highlights this idea. The bad guys are always the same character from the first day to the last. Illidan, Kael'thas, The Lich King, Deathwing, and now Garrosh are ever unchanging characters.

Jaina is not changing she might look like for a few minutes but she is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifurzzar View Post
    I am still not good at English, if you guys find any ambiguity or odd expression in this thread, please point out so I can right them, thanks.

So, as we know from spoilers, Rhonin is the one killed in the imminent Tides of War. And before the spoilers Metzen updated his blog which told us the death of this famous one "has its great meaning, it will advance the story."(not quite the literal words of Metzen, but I think the tenor is grasped)

And I really doubt the reality in his words after reading the spoilers.

The reason I say so is that Rhonin's coming to Jaina's aid is odd and illogical.
    As you guys know, Rhonin is the leader of Dalaran and Kirin Tor, which all the while insists their neutrality to the extent they even rejected to dispatch any representative to attend to the Alliance gathering held by Malfurion in the novel Wolfheart.

Then, how could it be possible that a neutral leader so flagrantly came to aid Jaina with Dalaran's elite magi against the Horde ? Remember there are many blood elves in Dalaran and their leader one of the Kirin Tor council, how could they possibly brook Rhonin so obviously being in favor of their enemy? But still Rhonin came and died. It's too irrational and at odds with common sense.

Besides, I find myself can't agree with that "Rhonin's death helps advance the story".
    The major thread of Tides of War is about Jaina's conversion from pacifist to a provoked warmonger, and the reason for such resulting conversion is, by Metzen's logic, 1)the ruination of Theramore and 2)Rhonin 's death.

But if you mull it over, it's not difficult to find out Rhonin's death is totally unnecessary, the reasonings are as below:

1)if Rhonin survived but Theramore did not, would Jaina go mad at Garrosh and try to obliterate Orgrimmar?
    Certainly! She's the leader of this city state and the one held responsible to it's citizens' safety, but Garrosh killed them ALL, anyone can't bear such atrocity.

2)if Theramore survived but Rhonin not, would Jaina go trying to wipe out all orcs as she did in the novel?
    Hardly. Never in game nor in any novel her friendship with Rhonin has ever been mentioned, so to her Rhonin is no more than a mage colleague. She might become angry at Garrosh, but never would she come up with the idea of killing all orcs to revenge him.

In short, Rhonin's death is unnecessary, or rather peripheral in effect at best.

See, Rhonin's death is quite abrupt, beyond all expectations, irrational and unnecessary. Quite to the contrary of "advancing the story", in my opinion his illogical presence and violent death in Theramore compromises the quality of the book.

And, too odd in timing to be coincidental, Krasus also died not a year ago in Goledn's novel Twilight of the Aspects.

Both Krasus and Rhonin are Knaak-created and the main characters in his novels. But they both have been "written to death" by the irrelevant Golden. Coincidental? Can't believe it.

To me, Krasus and Rhonin's death appears too "artificially designed" to sit well with the books' plots. It just gives me the feeling that "Metzen or Blizzard's got bored of Knaak's characters and decided to make Golden by the way wipe the key two(Krasus and Rhonin) out in her writing, even if the book's plots do not demand that."

When I read another one's thread who's in similar opinion with me, he/she minted the word "de-knaakfication", and this word I use to explain the reason for Krasus and Rhonin's death -- both unnecessary and too violent and tragic.

I may never know what has happened between Blizz and Knaark, whose partnership has lasted more than 10 years, even much more longer than WoW itself, that so suddenly Blizz turned it's back on Knaark and began so callously methodically and intentionally killing Knaak-created characters. You see, they even did not bother to demand Knaak do such work, which is rational, after all Knaak is the father of these characters, they just put him aside and called Golden to such unhappy things.

Is it because their contract ended? Any unhappy experience happened? or Blizz wanted to warn Knaak of something? We may only guess.

Still, whatever happened, either Knaak was forced to relinquish his characters or has quit writing any more WoW novel, such behaviors of Blizz profoundly sickened me. It's reckless at best. If Blizz doesn't want these characters to play any roles in this expansion, then let them be, there are too much more ways to make a novel exciting instead of producing gimmicks from their brutal deaths.

Look around, WoW is a world full of shattered families and broken souls, that gives forlorn feelings. But all the while Rhonin, Vereesa and their intact family is a solace to many, until this time Blizz decided to shatter it, rendering another woman husband-deprived and a pair of twins fatherless. I very much want to ask Blizz that what made you so mean and petty towards Krasus and Rhonin, whose creator has helped you extremely expanded the wow universe in the last decade? Have you so easily forgotten if Krasus and Rhonin had never existed, the Aspects and Deathwing would never have been, and the whole Cataclysm expansion the same?

I'd like say, as one of my earliest acquainted Warcraft heros, I always feel Rhonin like an old friend rather than lines of cold binary coding, he's exactly as a happy neighbor who has lovely wife and laughing children and every time I see them I feel the warmth well up in my heart and tell myself life is so beautiful. But now, knowing he is gone, is no more, my stomach churns and heart wrenches and the world goes sullen.

As to Blizz, be honest and sincere, it's behaviors make me think of a couple(Blizz and Knaak) ended up in violent divorce, and so distraught and maddened and furious was the wife, that to retaliate her ex-husband she resorted to abusing and exploiting his children--also her own children.

There are some words I want to tell Blizz, despite any troubles between you and Knaak, those characters you together created are still your children, venting personal gall upon children has never been recommended to parents. Besides, that's either not the way recommended to end a partnership. Future is unpredictable, what if some day the hot honeymoon between you and Golden ends? The story of wow will continue, it's rather probably Blizz will need other new authors to help expand the universe.Then, where to put those Golden-depicted characters? Will one day Jaina die ridiculously falling from the hovering Dalaran? Will Thrall be torn to pieces in front of his son? Will Anduin behold Varian assassinated by a black dragon? And, worst of all, will all these things happen shockingly, oddly, savagely, illogically and unnaturally concentrated within several months, only serving to make the introductions of new characters theatrical and affected?

No, Blizzard, exploiting them to slags then casually forsaking them is not the way parents are supposed to treat their children. Never the way.

All of what you wrote is part of the problem. If what Knaak wrote was considered fanfiction people'd be accusing him of writing a self insert.

Rhonin was too perfect. He was a mage powerful enough to give lessons to Illidan and the Moonguard.
    He got the variouos races of the pre-Shattered Azeroth to work together.
    He was apparently also a very capable swordsman (first battlemage anyone?)
    He was apparently responsible for the peace between the red dragons and the Alliance.

Bluntly put the guy could do no wrong, had the perfect life and the perfect family. And from what we've heard of the spoilers is that he dies after he makes his possibly first mistake, by sending a Sunreaver to assist in the defence of Theramore.

Sad thing is that his death will likely have little to no effect.

You'd think that having their leader killed would have the Kirin Tor up in arms. But likely it'll be passed off as him getting involved in something that didn't concern him. Where's Veressa in all of this and why aren't there Sunreaver bodies popping up all over Dalaran, or possibly below it.
    And why does Jaina not exact revenge? Oh because she's stronger than that according to Golden, after she writes in Kalecgos giving her a speech on loss. Oh he lost his girlfriend. He knows so much about loss.

Bah, while I won't miss Rhonin you'd think they'd make the results of his death a bit more believeable.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Another god-awful Knaak character has rightly fallen.

I think it's the Knaak-hate that did him in, that's my best guess anyway, this is the very first thread about Rhonin where the pitch isn't "Kill him with fire!", when a character gathers so much fan-hate and doesn't really matter in the game-plot (What has Rhonin ever done that influences events as seen in-game?), Blizz might do us all a favour and kill him, to paraphrase Nietsche: "Rhonin is dead, and we have killed him" :P

But... I got my congratulatory package of useless potions from him when i hit 80 :< BLIZZARD, Y U NERF MY POTION ACQUISITION?!

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems odd really, how they arranged to have golden kill off two of knaaks major lore figures in this way.

Krasus I actully liked though, I was bummed out when he died in twilight of the aspects, I liked him as a character despite it being knaak, same as I like Alexstrazsa and the other aspects.

Whatever you might say about knaaks writing style and how he presents the characters, one of the few things he got right was the dragon aspects, some of my fav lore figures outside the horde and alliance factions.
    #boycottchina

Why would the Kirin Tor not try and prevent an atrocity? They ARE neutral which put them in the perfect place to stop the attack on Theramore and it not cause a war. Clearly it did not stop the war and Rhonin died.

Don't be surprised if Jaina is leading the Kirin Tor later this expansion or next.

He's "dead" but blizz can bring him back whenever they want.
    Last edited by Girlyman; 2012-08-22 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    I agree. It is quite obvious Blizzard just wanted to kill Krasus and Rhonin off. Rhonin's death severed no purpose.
    I agree as well, his death really served no clear purpose. Seems meaningless, but quite obvious what Blizzard is doing, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Im fine with Rohnin dying :3 never really cared about him ,and if hes death can make some really intresting plots. Bring it
    The problem it didn't >>> he die in most useless way to die... not even fighting!!!

(He just throw Jaina in portal > and die... Can't he just teleporth both of them and called it a day?)