Thread: Asura - WTF?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I just find it extremely disturbing that people have decided that "humanoid" can simply now be synonymous with "bipedal with opposable thumbs" because, well... humans are much more than just those two features.
    What part of it meaning that is so hard to understand? You're arguing semantics because the humanoid creature doesn't look the exact same as a human.
    And honestly, now you're saying Draenei and Asura aren't humanoid? Because they have hooves and clawed elephant feet?
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-08-22 at 10:27 PM.

  2. #202
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,290
    Either you love it or hate it, but if it's a gamebreaker for you... then good luck finding

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  3. #203
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    What part of it meaning that is so hard to understand? You're arguing semantics because the humanoid creature doesn't look the exact same as a human.
    And honestly, now you're saying Draenei and Asura aren't humanoid? Because they have hooves and three-toed elephant feet?
    Asura look more like Greys than humans. O_o

    I still don't know, after all these years, what to think of draenei. Horns, horned ridges on their forehead, reverse-joint hooved legs, tails, unnaturally-tinted skin, eyes with no iris or pupil to speak of...
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 10:28 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Asura look more like Greys than humans. O_o
    Lol. Greys are humanoid to the extreme.

    Just LOL.

  5. #205
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Asura look more like Greys than humans. O_o
    What's not humanoid about this?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Asura look more like Greys than humans. O_o

    I still don't know, after all these years, what to think of draenei. Horns, horned ridges on their forehead, reverse-joint hooved legs, tails, unnaturally-tinted skin, eyes with no iris or pupil to speak of...
    Bipedal, opposable thumb, human in every way aside from head crest, hooves, and a tail.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-08-22 at 10:31 PM.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Asura look more like Greys than humans. O_o

    I still don't know, after all these years, what to think of draenei. Horns, horned ridges on their forehead, reverse-joint hooved legs, tails, unnaturally-tinted skin, eyes with no iris or pupil to speak of...
    I don't think I've seen someone sawing off the branch they're sitting on with quite this much vigorous ignorance in a while...

  7. #207
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    So Sylvari are phytophila inspired in that case?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    So Charr are for furries.
    I'm not sure why you would even argue these points but, both are highly preferable to Pedophilia.
    Last edited by Snow White; 2012-08-22 at 10:32 PM.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    I'm not sure why you would even argue these points but, both are highly preferable to Pedophilia.
    This discussion is a can of worms I don't want to open.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post

    SWTOR races suck they are all just different heads on one of 5 bodies, and its gross, most of the races in the old movies were unique from each other and you cant even play them in this game, swtor was the worst mmo to the market in 20 years bar none. it was a lazy development team and greedy ceo.

    This thread is so off-topic.

    Most of races in Star Wars DO NOT vary by a large degree. 95% of the sentient races appear humanoid. Most of those are just recolored humans, humans with extra/less feature ie they are just bald humans, or they have a tentacle. The SWTOR races ARE races that were in the movies. Not sure you think SWTOR's races some how go against the Star Wars universe when they are all canon.

    On-topic

    If you don't like Asura then you are racist!
    Last edited by pacox; 2012-08-22 at 10:41 PM.

  10. #210
    I'll agree with some of the others here... as appealing as this game is, race options are not one of its strong points.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse

  11. #211


    I don't see what you're talking about.

  12. #212
    Titan apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    12,114
    I made my Asura have the biggest ears as possible. I love it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  13. #213
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Lol. Greys are humanoid to the extreme.

    Just LOL.
    What's your point? I never said that Asura or Greys are NOT humanoid. My point here is merely that they're still extremely distinct from humans.

    Take a look at the body structure, and you'd see what I mean.
    Asura heads = larger
    Asura necks = thinner
    Asura chests = smaller
    Asura midriff = wider and rounder
    Asura legs = squatter and thicker
    Asura feet = wider, completely different shape all around
    Asura forearms = thicker and longer
    Asura shoulders = scrawnier, moreso to match the chest

    Point being that Gnomes and Dwarves are truly humans with stunted growth. Asura are something else entirely, even if they are humanoid.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 06:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Bipedal, opposable thumb, human in every way aside from head crest, hooves, and a tail.
    Not to mention eyes - both in the shape, and the fact that they have no iris. Shape of the torso. Shape of the legs. Shape of the head is even quite a bit different, though that's mostly tied to the head crest thing.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 06:16 PM ----------

    Everybody seems to just want to argue semantics - maybe it's because it's ONLY when you argue semantics you're able to sound smart and make other people sound dumb? You must enjoy trying to find ways to raise yourself on a pedestal and put other people down. Lucky doesn't even have a response to me saying that I see nothing human in Charr, other than to go on insulting me, like he does every time he posts.
    Otherwise you'd actually try to be arguing everything and actually making salient points, instead of just arguing semantics and insulting everybody you can. Because I've brought up numerous other points that everybody is just plain ignoring.

    If you're complaining about Norn being unimaginative? I get it. They're just giant humans. Most people are disappointed in this.
    If you're complaining about Sylvari being unimaginative? I really don't get it. They're humanoid, sure, but they're still plant people, with a really unique culture and outlook on life. Plus, I've never seen another fantasy race like them. I've seen plant monsters galore. I've seen people dressing themselves up with plants. But plant people? Haven't seen it. They're different, or at least different enough.
    If you're complaining about Asura being unimaginative? I really don't get it. Said it already: Unlike gnomes and dwarves, they aren't humans with stunted growth. They're something entirely different. Their inspiration is Dragonlance gnomes - except their inventions work. But that's where the similarities with gnomes end, entirely. Asura are a work of brilliance.
    If you're complaining about Charr being unimaginative? I think you're officially insane. Yeah, we've seen "beastmen" before, but not like this. I mean, for one thing, they're not people with cat ears attached. And they're not people that magically turn into beasts. They're actually a race designed from the ground up to appears as though they followed their own evolutionary path, more similar to felines than people.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 11:24 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  14. #214
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    FC World
    Posts
    6,381
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    What's your point? I never said that Asura or Greys are NOT humanoid. My point here is merely that they're still extremely distinct from humanoids.

    Take a look at the body structure, and you'd see what I mean.
    Asura heads = larger
    Asura necks = thinner
    Asura chests = smaller
    Asura midriff = wider and rounder
    Asura legs = squatter and thicker
    Asura feet = wider, completely different shape all around
    Asura forearms = thicker and longer
    Asura shoulders = scrawnier, moreso to match the chest

    Point being that Gnomes and Dwarves are truly humans with stunted growth. Asura are something else entirely, even if they are humanoid.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 06:06 PM ----------


    Not to mention eyes - both in the shape, and the fact that they have no iris. Shape of the torso. Shape of the legs. Shape of the head is even quite a bit different, though that's mostly tied to the head crest thing.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 06:16 PM ----------

    Everybody seems to just want to argue semantics - maybe it's because it's ONLY when you argue semantics you're able to sound smart and make other people sound dumb? You must enjoy trying to find ways to raise yourself on a pedestal and put other people down. Lucky doesn't even have a response to me saying that I see nothing human in Charr, other than to go on insulting me, like he does every time he posts.
    Otherwise you'd actually try to be arguing everything and actually making salient points, instead of just arguing semantics and insulting everybody you can. Because I've brought up numerous other points that everybody is just plain ignoring.

    If you're complaining about Norn being unimaginative? I get it. They're just giant humans. Most people are disappointed in this.
    If you're complaining about Sylvari being unimaginative? I really don't get it. They're humanoid, sure, but they're still plant people, with a really unique culture and outlook on life. Plus, I've never seen another fantasy race like them. I've seen plant monsters galore. I've seen people dressing themselves up with plants. But plant people? Haven't seen it. They're different, or at least different enough.
    If you're complaining about Asura being unimaginative? I really don't get it. Said it already: Unlike gnomes and dwarves, they aren't humans with stunted growth. They're something entirely different. Their inspiration is Dragonlance gnomes - except their inventions work. But that's where the similarities with gnomes end, entirely. Asura are a work of brilliance.
    If you're complaining about Charr being unimaginative? I think you're officially insane. Yeah, we've seen "beastmen" before, but not like this. I mean, for one thing, they're not people with cat ears attached. And they're not people that magically turn into beasts. They're actually a race designed from the ground up to appears as though they followed their own evolutionary path, more similar to felines than people.
    You don't know what Humanoids are, do you?


  15. #215
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,656
    Your entire wall isn't proving your point at all.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-08-22 at 11:33 PM.

  16. #216
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    You don't know what Humanoids are, do you?
    I've quoted this, twice, so I know full well what it means. The problem here is that I'm actually following with the definition, and other people are imagining up on their own just how "human-like" is enough to fit it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 06:21 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Your entire wall isn't proving your point at all.
    So you're telling me that you didn't read it, because it's too long. I never said Asura are not humanoid. Hence, I have bluntly told you that your argument of what I'm arguing is wrong, because I never once argued it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 11:22 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  17. #217
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I've quoted this, twice, so I know full well what it means. The problem here is that I'm actually following with the definition, and other people are imagining up on their own just how "human-like" is enough to fit it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 06:21 PM ----------


    So you're telling me that you didn't read it, because it's too long.

    I'm sorry, but Charr don't resemble humans.
    Skelington read it. Give him a minute and he'll break it up for you.

  18. #218
    Dreadlord Ecstatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Between the sacred silence and sleep
    Posts
    863
    The dance is the only redeeming thing about this race.
    Best dance I've seen in an mmorpg.
    Also, it's a very well-made race. I cant help but feel other races dont have as much depth and quality as the asura. I not only speak model-wise.
    I like them, I used to hate them, but now I can live with them. I might roll one on smallest size as mesmer for lols just to mess around with people.
    Currently playing: |FFXIV: A Realm Reborn| |Everquest Next: Landmark| |Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft|

  19. #219
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Skelington read it. Give him a minute and he'll break it up for you.
    The key point in my response to you, however, is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    What's your point? I never said that Asura or Greys are NOT humanoid. My point here is merely that they're still extremely distinct from humans.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 11:24 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  20. #220
    Grunt noxal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    21
    What asura lack in looks they make up for with cynicism and condescending jokes hehe and tech talk ofc!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •