Thread: Asura - WTF?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Ahhhhhhh.....I missed 11 pages of asura mud-slinging :'(
    Asura 4ever! <3
    4 pages of bookahs, 7 pages of defining the term humanoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Ahhhhhhh.....I missed 11 pages of asura mud-slinging :'(
    Asura 4ever! <3
    I was able to distract them with semantics and Charr. Big people are more noticeable I guess.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I never said that Asura or Greys are NOT humanoid.
    You did a good job of not saying it then. Why did you bring them up?
    they're still extremely distinct from humanoids.
    What
    Take a look at the body structure, and you'd see what I mean.
    Okay.
    Asura heads = larger
    Okay.
    Asura necks = thinner
    Okay.
    Asura chests = smaller
    Okay.
    Asura midriff = wider and rounder
    Okay.
    Asura legs = squatter and thicker
    Okay.
    Asura feet = wider, completely different shape all around
    Okay.
    Asura forearms = thicker and longer
    Okay.
    Asura shoulders = scrawnier, moreso to match the chest
    Okay.
    Point being that Gnomes and Dwarves are truly humans with stunted growth. Asura are something else entirely, even if they are humanoid.
    You didn't prove anything, just that Asura have the same shape as humans with different width in features. Humanoid does not mean "looks exactly like a human." There's no point in the word if you're only going to classify average human, midget, and neanderthal in it.
    Not to mention eyes - both in the shape, and the fact that they have no iris.
    Okay.
    Shape of the torso.
    Okay.
    Shape of the legs.
    Okay.
    Shape of the head is even quite a bit different, though that's mostly tied to the head crest thing.
    Okay. That sure was a lot of differences in width, and they're still essentially humans! You forgot facial appendages too.
    Everybody seems to just want to argue semantics - maybe it's because it's ONLY when you argue semantics you're able to sound smart and make other people sound dumb? You must enjoy trying to find ways to raise yourself on a pedestal and put other people down.
    Ironic, since you're doing the same.
    that I see nothing human in Charr
    Well, that's your own fault. You can say it as much as you like, but it doesn't make it true.
    Otherwise you'd actually try to be arguing everything and actually making salient points, instead of just arguing semantics and insulting everybody you can. Because I've brought up numerous other points that everybody is just plain ignoring.
    You mean your brilliant comparison of Pikachu to humanoid shape because, hey, if he walks on two legs sometimes he must fit the definition? Your posts have been no less condescending than anyone else's.

No need for flaming. -- Blood
    Last edited by Jovanaar; 2012-08-22 at 11:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this thread has completely went astray from the original topic O_o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    Well this thread has completely went astray from the original topic O_o
    See it as an example of 2 asuras arguing about something

Quote Originally Posted by ajoram View Post
    Even though all my friends keep telling me about how awesome GW2 is going to be, I have to facepalm everytime I see a screenshot of an Asura...

It has to be the most ugly, stupid-looking race I've ever seen in any game I've ever played.

As much as I would like to join my friends in GW2 I just can't get over it....
    You have a very shallow decision making process, but as far as opinions go so be it.

I think they're supercute. Like dobbies.. I love dobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilut View Post
    See it as an example of 2 asuras arguing about something
    Oh man, this reminds me of the trial in GW1.

Point being that Gnomes and Dwarves are truly humans with stunted growth. Asura are something else entirely, even if they are humanoid.[COLOR="red"]
    I don't even know what is this trash.

Gnomes and dwarves are truly humans? What the f. In games? In myth? In real life? What are you talking about.

Gnomes, dwarves, asuras are all humanoid non-humans. That's what it means to be humanoid, you're NOT human.

And fyi, a creature has to be similar to a human in certain base characteristics to be defined as humanoid. Period. Doesn't matter if it has split hooves, inverted knees, no pupils, or lilac irises.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2012-08-22 at 11:50 PM.

I seriously question the motives behind threads like these. We get it, you don't like Asura, that's fine. But did you need to let the world know? Isn't that what Twitter/Facebook we're made for?
    Last edited by zaphon; 2012-08-22 at 11:51 PM.

This is an unusual argument.

I'm not even sure who is trying to prove what anymore. The links to pikachu and the flame lizard were funny though.

Quote Originally Posted by ajoram View Post
    As much as I would like to join my friends in GW2 I just can't get over it....
    One race is stopping you from enjoying this game? that's just weird. I hated Gnomes with a passion in WoW but it still didn't stop me. For a race to actually stop you from playing I think there must be more here than your willing to admit. Do you shake visibly when you see one? break out into cold sweats? Do they remind you of a nightmare you had? maybe of a bully at school that stole your lunch money?

time to move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Asuras somehow looks like a hideous morph of a gnome and a kobold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    You didn't prove anything, just that Asura have the same shape as humans with different width in features.
    And the entire reason I'm bringing that up is to point out that Asura are different from humans.

The main reason I see people like Ashnazg complaining about "lack of imagination" in MMORPG races is because of what happened with SWTOR.

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Gnomes and dwarves are truly humans? What the f. In games? In myth? In real life? What are you talking about.

Gnomes, dwarves, asuras are all humanoid non-humans. That's what it means to be humanoid, you're NOT human.

And fyi, a creature has to be similar to a human in certain base characteristics to be defined as humanoid. Period. Doesn't matter if it has split hooves, inverted knees, no pupils, or lilac irises.
    And, as expected, you're still stuck on semantics, instead of following the discussion proper.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

And the entire reason I'm bringing that up is to point out that Asura are different from humans.

The main reason I see people like Ashnazg complaining about "lack of imagination" in MMORPG races is because of what happened with SWTOR.

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 07:35 PM ----------

And, as expected, you're still stuck on semantics, instead of following the discussion proper.
    Naw, I am just seeing how deep of a hole you can dig for yourself.

For there to be a "discussion proper" you first have to have a leg to stand on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Well, that's your own fault. You can say it as much as you like, but it doesn't make it true.
    All right. Prove it is true. Without bringing up the fact that they walk on two legs and have opposable digits, what in them is human?

The main reason I'm bringing this up is because, in Azeroth and Tyria both, bipedal movement and opposable digits is not uniquely human. In fact, it's so incredibly common, that "lesser evolved" races, such as Skritt and Quaggan do it.

The only way they could fit better with large cats in the wild like tigers, leopards, lions, etc... is if they no longer walked upright, and had proper paws on their forelimbs.

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 07:44 PM ----------

Naw, I am just seeing how deep of a hole you can dig for yourself.

For there to be a "discussion proper" you first have to have a leg to stand on.
    And my response was an attempt to point out to you, and admittedly a failure at doing so, that everything I've been saying about asura has nothing to do with this stupid semantics bullshit you're still stuck on.

I said it twice in this thread, bluntly, explicitly, and openly: Yes, Asura are humanoid. I never NOT said that. If you want to prove me wrong, you can try to find the quote, but you won't. You're digging your own hole with this one.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 12:45 AM.

I said it twice in this thread, bluntly, explicitly, and openly: Yes, Asura are humanoid. I never NOT said that. If you want to prove me wrong, you can try to find the quote, but you won't. You're digging your own hole with this one.
    So why are you lumping them in the same category as Charr then? Who, you are arguing, are not humanoid?

But Charr? Asura? It makes me do a "WTF?" face.

10+ Year Old Account
    So why are you lumping them in the same category as Charr then?
    I am lumping them there, in that specific statement, because it boggles my mind that anybody can claim they're not imaginative or unique. I have already stated, multiple times, why I see them, physically speaking, as being unique enough that they should not bother the average person.

Who, you are arguing, are not humanoid?
    I already said - there's nothing human in the Charr, right down to their musculoskeletal system. They're a far cry from Mithra, after all.

Have you ever watched Underworld? I'm sure you've at least heard of it. Did you know that most of the werewolves in the trilogy weren't CGI at all? They used CGI enhancing in some places, but every single werewolf (even the ones crawling on walls/ceilings - they used all sorts of wire acrobatics) were actual people in big old mechanical werewolf suits. They had huge stilt-like legs to stand on, and the head and face had a bunch of animatronic stuff in it. They went all out.

To cosplay a Charr accurately, you'd have to do shit like that. You couldn't just put on a rubber mask and call yourself a Charr.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 12:55 AM.

I was gonna make a thread about how much I hate the Charr and want them destroyed from the face of tyria. But it seems like someone has an almost similar hate for the asura.