Thread: Asura - WTF?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

I already said - there's nothing human in the Charr, right down to their musculoskeletal system. They're a far cry from Mithra, after all.
    Hm, I am still waiting for evidence of Charr skeletons and a point by point comparison to show that the degree of difference between theirs, and humans, skeletal systems is so staggering that they would not be called humanoid.

Otherwise it just sounds like empty air, given that the whole world except for you agrees that bipedality, anthropomorphism and hands (as opposed to paws) on Charr are enough to consider them humanoid.

It seems all MMOs coming out in the near future have a retarded race added to them.

asura, pandarens, rabbits...

A design I would perfer for charr females would be the male worgen bodytype with small breast. unless the face is done distinctly enough. And more hair options for the head. Like longer hair.

More upright, yet still beastly with traits that can make them identifiable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    It seems all MMOs coming out in the near future have a retarded race added to them.

asura, pandarens, rabbits...
    Woah woah woah... Asura so are not retarded. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Woah woah woah... Asura so are not retarded. O_o
    Just a word people throw around without actually knowing the meaning of it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Hm, I am still waiting for evidence of Charr skeletons and a point by point comparison to show that the degree of difference between theirs, and humans, skeletal systems is so staggering
    O_o

Surely we've had enough screens of Charr for you to see how different the very shape of their head is, let alone the neck and tail and leg joints. They're about as different from humans as cats are from humans.

Admittedly, cat and human skeletons are similar enough to begin with. You can see where shoulders, elbows, wrists, etc directly translate to. But there's enough differences to be able to know what's a cat skeleton and what's a human skeleton. And if you ran across a skeleton similar to what we see in-game with Charr, nobody would say it's anything like humans. People would comment on how it obviously walk uprights, and clearly as elongated digits, like fingers, but they would say it looks like a cat that walks upright.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    A design I would perfer for charr females would be the male worgen bodytype with small breast. unless the face is done distinctly enough. And more hair options for the head. Like longer hair.

More upright, yet still beastly with traits that can make them identifiable.
    I will admit, I hate the posture of the Charr. We've seen plenty of concept art showing Charr as standing fully upright, instead of being hunchbacks.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 01:04 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Alright. That's enough ya'll.

The hostility needs to come down several notches here.

-- Fencers

O_o

Surely we've had enough screens of Charr for you to see how different the very shape of their head is, let alone the neck and tail and leg joints. They're about as different from humans as cats are from humans.

I will admit, I hate the posture of the Charr. We've seen plenty of concept art showing Charr as standing fully upright, instead of being hunchbacks.
    Let me try this one more time, with pictures. And more civil.

This is a humanoid alien:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...%27ma%27ra.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/babylon5/ima.../Pac_Ma_Ra.JPG

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/300W...ah-d3k17xx.png

This is a non-humanoid alien:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NkxkC2nvfR...00/Shadows.jpg

I think its clear that Charr are a lot closer to the first group than they are to the second. You will note that Pakmara do not have a head that resembles a human, nor do they have fingers (and Charr have 5 finger/claws, with the same number of joints as human fingers), but they're still humanoid.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2012-08-23 at 01:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what you're going to do is compare Charr to things with 2 legs, and then compare Charr to things with more than 2 legs, and then say "This means they're humanoid."
    When I already dispute that the definition of "humanoid," a word that means "is similar to humans," is simple enough to just roughly translate to "Walks on two legs, and has thumbs."

O_o

Cat skeleton: http://www.pictures-of-kittens-and-c...t-skeleton.jpg
    Human skeleton: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ont_en.svg.png

Pretty clear to me that Charr is closer to the first than the second.

(side-note: Why is it "humanoid" and not "apeoid" for that matter?)
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 01:08 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What makes me laugh most about the Asura, is the GW2 players that call Pandaren childish, but are completely content on playing a game with Asuras in it. Whilst I find neither actually childish, it seems to fall within the same spectrum as people that do.

Let me see, When was the last time I saw short big-eared rodents using advanced machinery.

Oh yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not an Asura, nor is he a rodent. He's a Lombax, and he's closer to a cat than a rat.
    His body shape is nothing like the Asura body shape.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajoram View Post
    https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.ne...2/asura-03.jpg

seriously - looking at this causes me physical pain.^^
    I'm going to make mine look more devious gremlin and less adorable rodent. <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we just lock this thread already?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's not an Asura, nor is he a rodent. He's a Lombax, and he's closer to a cat than a rat.
    His body shape is nothing like the Asura body shape.
    Semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Can we just lock this thread already?
    As long as there's nice asura like u and me around Mif...our race will be safe! xD
    Not sure about the other races though /evil grin

When I already dispute that the definition of "humanoid," a word that means "is similar to humans," is simple enough to just roughly translate to "Walks on two legs, and has thumbs."
    Well you shouldn't dispute it, because that's exactly what it is. Its a rough definition that includes everything that walks on two legs, has a similar enough symmetry / body proportions to humans, has two legs / two arms, a symmetrical face with vision, respiration, hearing and taste organs. You can dispute it all you want, but know that you're in an absolute minority, and all you're doing is just raking in your post count.

Since Charr satisfy all of those criteria, they're humanoid. Case closed.

Yeah I know the reasoning. Polls show the further a race gets from its human origins, the less people play it. Still, one can hope.
    If you already know this then why are you making a big fuss out of it then. Were you just trolling then ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on now OP have you seen some of the UGLY gnome faces in WoW ... Asura are no where near that ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Well you shouldn't dispute it, because that's exactly what it is. Its a rough definition that includes everything that walks on two legs, has a similar enough symmetry / body proportions to humans, has two legs / two arms, a symmetrical face with vision, respiration, hearing and taste organs. You can dispute it all you want, but know that you're in an absolute minority, and all you're doing is just raking in your post count.

Since Charr satisfy all of those criteria, they're humanoid. Case closed.
    Therefore charmander is humanoid.

Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    Therefore charmander is humanoid.

It is, isnt it classified as humanoid in the pokedex?