View Poll Results: Did you find this guide helpful and informative?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

161 84.74%
  • No

29 15.26%
Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Discipline MoP Healing Guide

Gurgle. Gurgle.
    Last edited by Zosyn; 2013-02-23 at 05:38 AM.

Very, very good guide.
    Nicely set out.

A few things:

May I ask why you plan on using the Glyph Of Renew?

I've played the beta a bit on my disc, but I've not noticed Renew be any stronger.
    Should it become part of our healing rotation now?

Also, when you do the addons section, I would love to hear what addon you plan to use for managing Spirit Shell.
    Obviously your bubble on it is capped at a % of your health, so it would be essential to easily be able to see everyones "extra health" so to speak.

On live currently I used Vuhdo, I have a little white circle over the name plate for PW:S and a blue circle for DA, which lose themselves quarters of the circle if the bubble is being broke, but this is more of a "cast it and watch it go down", where I feel Spirit Shell is a more "okay, I need to hit the maximum bubble I can do without overhealing in the time I have."

Lastly, will you go into using dispels?
    I know they're all on a bigger CD now, not even sure about Mass Dispel, but it would be nice to hear your opinion on their usage.

Thank you again; I shall be monitoring this thread and continuing to give feedback.

P.s. What do you call loads of disc priests in a hot tub? A bubble bath.

Disc for life!

The Patient
    Mindbender replaces shadowfiend, in your comparison you have to consider that if you choose PW: Solace you will still have Shadowfiend which provides 90k mana per cast (@300k mana) every 3 minutes.

So Mindbender provides 39k per cast and, over 3 minutes, 117k mana. The difference between the two spells is only 27k.

With PW: Solace providing 0.7% of your mana each it will give 2,100 mana. To recover the 27k difference you need to cast PW: Solace 12.85 times over 3 minutes.

Rounding to 13 over 3 minutes that is just over 4 casts per minute + one extra cast. Anything after those 13 casts results in more mana than mindbender.

I still agree that the "default" choice will be mindbender and you will switch to PW: Solace when fights have significant downtime, I just wanted to alert you that the 19 casts is rather ridiculous for talents that are supposedly "balanced"

Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    Very, very good guide.
    Nicely set out.

A few things:

May I ask why you plan on using the Glyph Of Renew?

I've played the beta a bit on my disc, but I've not noticed Renew be any stronger.
    Should it become part of our healing rotation now?

-snip-
    Editing in a reply to this as well, I'll try and help work on this guide through posts when I can

I'm actually planning on taking Holy fire as a glyph rather than renew for the fast that instant-casts mean that I can stack Evangelism with just Holy Fire on cooldown. The 25% increase to healing cooldown will be way to good to pass up.

Renew feels in the same place as it does in cataclysm though it is slightly stronger. It might be worth a cast if someone is down 10-15% and will not take any damage in the near future. Disc's renew can't hold a candle to Holy's though and really doesn't feel that it is worthy to glyph for me.

Edit #2: Currently Disc's stat priority is Haste > Crit (because of interactions with Divine Aegis) > Mastery. Obvious all stats are below intellect and, if you need more regen, spirit.

(Edit: Crit works with SS, Inner Focus doesn't, my mistake.) This is *most likely* a bug as Archangel (that 25% healing increase I talked about) doesn't work either.
    Last edited by Overwelm; 2012-08-23 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Demonology Warlock = Beast Mastery Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Certin View Post
    Funny ... I've never seen a hunter transform into a huge ass gorilla and come and roflstomp ur ass.

Overwelm,

Thanks for your help with the Mindbender/Solace part of this guide, I am....not the best at math, but i tried! And I believe that your "Haste -> Crit -> Mastery" is not correct at all. I have talked to many high-end raiding priests and they all agreed that my stat weights were correct.

AstroleonShadowflower,

I would like to answer your question about Renew, I used this glyph in the raid testing i did, and i thought it was mainly better than the other ones. I will not be using the holy fire glyph because I personally will be adding more Renews in my healing "rotation" because it heals for a decent amount and it is instant.
    Last edited by Zosyn; 2012-08-23 at 02:39 AM.

I don't quite follow your stats explanation. You are stating mastery is third because it increases our bubble effects. Yet unless the scaling with DA has increased significantly then it primarily increases potential with Spirit shell and PW:S. It is unclear how much of our healing will stem directly from PW:S due to limitations of mana. Spirit Shell is effective but at least in my personal opinion its not sufficient to gear off of.

I would think that Haste/Crit would be rather more important than "most useless" (as stated with Haste) given merely the synergy of needing crits and multiple casts to properly utilize the Mastery. PW:S is a very expensive spell when used outside of rapture and mana is significantly tighter than 4.3.

Note: I am hardly a pro priest. I am merely attempting to clarify how your stat rankings work.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian9 View Post
    I don't quite follow your stats explanation. You are stating mastery is third because it increases our bubble effects. Yet unless the scaling with DA has increased significantly then it primarily increases potential with Spirit shell and PW:S. It is unclear how much of our healing will stem directly from PW:S due to limitations of mana. Spirit Shell is effective but at least in my personal opinion its not sufficient to gear off of.

I would think that Haste/Crit would be rather more important than "most useless" (as stated with Haste) given merely the synergy of needing crits and multiple casts to properly utilize the Mastery. PW:S is a very expensive spell when used outside of rapture and mana is significantly tighter than 4.3.

Note: I am hardly a pro priest. I am merely attempting to clarify how your stat rankings work.
    I am going to rewrite this section. I read it over and I was not stating my reasons for why I chose what I chose in a understandable way, thanks for pointing this out!

More discussion, people!

Also, I know Rapture scales with how much spirit you have now, so is it really worth keeping track of that much anymore?
    How I'd sort of see it is: The cleaner and quicker you are with Rapture (ie, everytime it comes off of ICD), the less spirit you would need on your gear?

Also, I think it's important to ask; are we using Inner Fire or Inner Will? (Think they're the names, can never remember those 2.)

More discussion, people!

Also, I know Rapture scales with how much spirit you have now, so is it really worth keeping track of that much anymore?
    How I'd sort of see it is: The cleaner and quicker you are with Rapture (ie, everytime it comes off of ICD), the less spirit you would need on your gear?

Right now a single Power Word: Shield costs more mana than rapture gives back. So that is kind of meh. But your thoughts on the idea of keeping it on CD and stacking less mana are incorrect. If anything, we are going to try to get more spirit than the spell costs, so we are at least getting a "free" mana cost spell.

As for Inner Fire/Will I believe we are still going to be using Inner Fire. I have not really seen and discussion on that topic.
    Last edited by Zosyn; 2012-08-23 at 03:40 AM.

I don't think Rapture is going to be a net mana gain anywhere before heroic t15 (even then?), and to try to get that is going to severely handicap your output stats.

It's just the ability to make a shield ultra-efficient (retroactively). It's not about mana going back up, it's about making the most out of our efficiency, getting the most healing out of our blue bar without spending too much crit/haste/mastery budget on Spirit.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

The Patient
    It costs 6.1% of our max mana, or 18300 mana. 10k spirit is not unreasonable, not easy but not impossible in a mix of blues/epics for T14. It make it 100% free I could see it being around T15 if you went for spirit, easily T15hc
    Funny ... I've never seen a hunter transform into a huge ass gorilla and come and roflstomp ur ass.

Ah, thanks for the Math then guys.
    It was a mechanic I sort of enjoyed; trying to game it so it gave back the most mana I could get.
    But now they've changed it to spirit instead of just X% mana.
    Which I can understand, since mana pools are staying the same, it would be an ability that'd only ever be the right choice.

As for the Inner Fire/Inner Will thing, I remember there being quite a big discussion on it in the EU forums during around T12... Thusly I opted for Inner Will, so I could use many inexpensive shields, while reforging all the spirit away to mastery.
    This might have been the wrong thing to do, but a lot of (good) people were standing by it.

Obviously this isn't really possible with the change, so Inner Fire it is I guess.

But now in MoP Inner Fire scales with your Spellpower and not just a static plus in spellpower.

and Overwelm... Crit DO add to SS, it's just the +100% crit from Inner Focus that doesn't add anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundmark View Post
    But now in MoP Inner Fire scales with your Spellpower and not just a static plus in spellpower.

and Overwelm... Crit DO add to SS, it's just the +100% crit from Inner Focus that doesn't add anything.

Really? Is that for all Priests Speccs?

Really? Is that for all Priests Speccs?
    Yup. Inner Will is 10% mana cost reduction that you can outgear the need to use. Inner Fire is 10% more spellpower, that gets better as you go along. Pretty clear choice, in my eyes.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I am curious as to why you do not mention the gnome racial, 5% increases mana pool. Very useful with static mana pools now in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehazen View Post
    I am curious as to why you do not mention the gnome racial, 5% increases mana pool. Very useful with static mana pools now in my opinion.
    Like I said. My guide is not completely finished.
    Last edited by Zosyn; 2012-08-23 at 05:44 AM.

The Patient
    Nice guide, i havn't been able to test my priest out much on the beta so it really helps.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

The Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundmark View Post

Ahhh, was remembering the issue wrong, that would only make crit a stronger stat for us then rather than being deflated because of an interaction with our mechanics.

The Glyph of Renew has clear cut and dry areas when glyphing it or not glyphing it works to your advantage--- regardless of spec. The Glyph has meaningful impact to HPM at breakpoints. It all depends on haste breakpoints.

Also I'd be curious to see some of the supporting math and logic for some of these tier choices. Not that they are wrong per say, a lot of the choices outlined here seem very "because I like them". (DP over Bulwark, has clear fight mechanics when one is superior to the other)

Also, I disagree with racials not being game breaking... I'm looking at you, Blood Elves. In terms of regen it is substantively different than the others.

Sidenote, now that you've edited out the statweights section and are rewriting.. I urge you to put some supporting math behind your statement for those. Defending it with "I talked to High end Priests and they agree" is a bit of a loose statement. I am not discouraging you here, just suggesting supporting information is helpful.... particularly since statweights can dramatically change based on your output spell selection.... particularly when haste is involved.

I'm amidst a the final edits of my holy guide, for publication later this week, I am sure a lot of the choices will overlap. I look forward to the discussion... or DISCussion. (har har har)
    Last edited by derevka; 2012-08-23 at 09:13 PM.

I'm quite sure Alchemy also gets an int bonus on flask usage.