Still undecided on which profession to go with for my main

Hey all..I'm new here, although I've been coming to MMO Champions for years for Wow info...Anyway, I'm still not sure which profession to play!..I'm leaning toward a Norn Warrior or a Human Necro and will play both to level 10 before I decide which to make my main. Guardian really appeals to the former Paladin in me too though as does the Engineer since it's pretty different than anything I've ever played before. Either way..I'm looking forward to launch and don't plan on sleeping much this weekend (case of Redbull... check!)

You are not alone in your indecision. I'm still waffling on main profession and what I like for profession/race combos.

The nice thing is not being "stuck" as a melee only on Guardian the way a Pally would or a Warrior for example. The variety of play styles adds nice flexibility and versatility so that you won't feel as limited as in other games.

Rather than levelling to 10, you can just do the start tutorial (takes you to level 2) and then hop into the Mists (PVP waiting area). You'll be level 80 and have all the skills and traits unlocked, so you can experiment all you want and figure out which class you'll want to play first. Well, it should greatly help you decide anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Luckily it's not imperative that you have a main.

In the case of PVP especially, you can immediately do structured PVP on a character and be level 80 with a full set of traits, skills, and a gear set.

As far as PVE, yeah. I can see why you'd prefer to commit to one profession. Me? I'm an altoholic. The only shame is that I only have 5 character slots.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

Yes.I'm sure my 1st purchase from the cash store will be more character slots ..I was an alt-aholic in Wow too..I had 6 80s in wotlk Druid(main) Pally, Mage, 2 DKs and a Shaman...I'm also indecicive, in SWTOR I couldn't decide between an Inquisitor and a Warrior and ended up leveling both concurrently.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post
    The only shame is that I only have 5 character slots.
    I too wonder why Arenanet only provide 5 character slots and and yet 8 professions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovver View Post
    I too wonder why Arenanet only provide 5 character slots and and yet 8 professions
    Character slots from cash shop, babe!

I think. Are they even offering that?
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post
    Character slots from cash shop, babe!

I think. Are they even offering that?
    Yes they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovver View Post
    5 character slots, 5 seperate races, which is where your personal story comes from.

If you need alternate playstyles, for PvP or whatever else, you have a reason to buy them. But most people will not play 8 professions, I know as of right now I can't even justify that I enjoy six.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to make my main a commando http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commando

I gave up on picking a main long ago. I spent the recent stress tests narrowing down which 5 to roll first. Even that was very hard. But at least I was able to do it :-P

Have been stuck between Guardian and Warrior for quite a while. Mostly it's depending on whether guardian will be viable in a 2h DPS role, just because I like the style of supporting team mates while laying waste to my enemies, but it's looking like I'll end up being a Warrior since the guardian may not be able to surpass the warrior in that category.

While I personally sympathize with the problem on picking a profession, no one in the forums will make that decision for you. We have class threads if you wish to ask more specific questions, or the video threads that have tons of professions gameplay. You may want to do it just like me, Make them all. Im closing the topic. ~Zil