Poll: What would you rather be?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Jack-of-all-trades or a Master?

Simple question, would you rather be a jack-of-all-trades, good at almost everything you do, but there will always be someone that can surpass you in every given domain, or a master in a specific domain, only a few are able to match you, but performing as any average person on all the other domains.

For me this is quite hard to answer. I'm more of a Jack-of-all-trades kind of person, and it's really hard for me to find that specific spot in which i can fit. I'm a good artist and want to make a living of it, i'm better in arts than any of my friends and better than most of my schoolmates (when i was still in college), but i can still find a couple of persons that can make some impressive display of imagination that even i can't compete with.

I would really love to become a master in my domain and be able to out-do everyone else in arts, but if i was given the choice to sacrifice my general aptitude to the other domains in exchange to become a master in arts, i don't know if i would do it.

(Sorry english is certainly not one of my best aptitude, it isn't my native language)

ROFL OH MEH GOSH sorry for the Jack-of-all-''tardes'' typo in the poll!!!!

Mod edit: Fixed the typo in the poll
    Last edited by mmoc8b7a14d456; 2012-10-01 at 04:35 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather be a master.

Master drummer, computer tech, computer systems administrator, writer, beer brewer.... would rock.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

i chose - Jack-of-all-tardes...

Jack of all TARDES...sorry I couldn't help laughing LOL.

Anyway I'm pretty much a jack of all trades person, and I'm highly interested in a various different areas...so for me being a jack-of-all-trades is better. I'm very independent type, I'd rather be able to do everything, than just be able to do one thing.
    Last edited by Drekker17; 2012-08-23 at 03:14 AM.

but on a serious note i would prefer jack of all trades, overall i believe it would be more handy and probably cheaper if you knew how to fix/make things yourself rather than rely on paying someone to do whatever it is you needed done

"Jack-of-all-tardes" gets my vote for best typo of the day.

I'd rather be a Master in one area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Master, totally. In my opinion, people who specialize tend to be more successful (and revered within their given field).

Master. specifically Master of puppets

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    Simple question, would you rather be a jack-of-all-trades, good at almost everything you do, but there will always be someone that can surpass you in every given domain, or a master in a specific domain, only a few are able to match you, but performing as any average person on all the other domains.

For me this is quite hard to answer. I'm more of a Jack-of-all-trades kind of person, and it's really hard for me to find that specific spot in which i can fit. I'm a good artist and want to make a living of it, i'm better in arts than any of my friends and better than most of my schoolmates (when i was still in college), but i can still find a couple of persons that can make some impressive display of imagination that even i can't compete with.

I would really love to become a master in my domain and be able to out-do everyone else in arts, but if i was given the choice to sacrifice my general aptitude to the other domains in exchange to become a master in arts, i don't know if i would do it.

(Sorry english is certainly not one of my best aptitude, it isn't my native language)

ROFL OH MEH GOSH sorry for the Jack-of-all-''tardes'' typo in the poll!!!!

easy answer. I am the jack-of-all-trades. I have never really approached something I could not do. I, however, am fully aware that there will always be someone better at me at any given task. It is how the world works with six billion people.

Master, I want to be renowned in my field rather than average at everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adio View Post
    Master. specifically Master of puppets
    I like what you did there

OT: Master, being extremely proficient in one field is more enticing to me than being average at many things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Master physicists. Or, well, simply a physicists with a Master's. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I would prefer to be a Master of one.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Well the question is what people WANT to be right?

Cause in reality at least 60% (yeah made up on the spot) of the people are neither nor.

Why not both

10+ Year Old Account
    Master, trust me.

Being ok at a lot of things doesn't help one damn bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said Jack-of-all-trades because that's basically what I am, and basically what I do for a living. A little accounting, a little finance, a little operations, a little IT, a little HR, etc. When I don't already know a subject well, based on my track record, I'm expected to learn it fast, and I do.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Master, without a doubt. Being the world's leading scientist in nano-technology, giving the world a push towards the next technological revolution? Yes please.
    Last edited by Dassen; 2012-08-23 at 01:28 PM.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Master, trust me.

Being ok at a lot of things doesn't help one damn bit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci