Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

7 days ban for "abusing" report system

This morning I was something like shocked, when I got a nice e-mail by Riot.

"Internal audits by staff members of Riot have revealed consistent abuse of the "Report A Player" feature by your account within League of Legends.

Falsely reporting players over a large span of time dilutes the significance of your reports and causes unnecessary distress to the players being reported. Reporting players is a tool used to help improve the community rather than a tool used to threaten or bully other players."

First, I knew that reporting falsely is bannable, and that is really good, because I hate those morons saying "OMG report him/her for feeding, he has 6 kills and 7 deaths, that is intentionally!" or when you have a bad round....and that is the point. I don`t report for things like that, when its not really intentionally or really hard flaming....and thats happening maybe once a week.

But I the Bad Player report, because that is no bannable report and only lowers the hidden elo (I have heard). Now am I confused. Could I really be banned because of an non bannable report? That is wierd, then they should change it....and for the time of seven days o0

Cheers

EDIT: found a red post:

These are not Tribunal bans. We've been doing a lot of experiments and analysis with false reporters and have found that many of them are contributing to negative experiences in the games they are in--these players tend to threaten players with reports, or threaten players to play their way or be reported. For example, the OP in this case has reported hundreds of players that were not actually toxic and in the process created toxic experiences for these players. The same OP has received reports in 19% of his games resulting in hundreds of reports filed against him and has been punished multiple times by the Tribunal.

We've reviewed these players with extremely high numbers of false reporting and decided to send out a temporary timeout to these players and warn them that this behavior is unacceptable and let them know that they have been creating a negative experience for other players.
    In short, we are issuing ban to people who spams false reports. Now we have gathered enough data, we believe it is time to act
    Last edited by mmoc50a729cd06; 2012-08-23 at 05:12 AM.

I think its a brilliant move by Riot.

Reported for 19% of the games you have played and you have reported hundreds of players for no toxic gameplay? Punished by the tribunal multiple times? Looks like you have been a bad bad boy.

I report a lot of players since I have started the game. Most of the those reports have been for dc, no team play and verbal abuse. Punished alot of people in tribunal and have been reported myself for verbal abuse. Didn't receive a ban yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

Deleted
    Thats not my statistic, that was an example from a red poster

BUt there is some massive fail in these, I think its good, too (even when Im banned), but:

Who decides if you false reported? The Tribunal? Its your own opinion, you decide if you think he acted wrong or trolled or something like that.#

But when the people in the tribunal says, they dont punish him, because they laughed about his bad behaviour...whats then?

I only feel a little confused. I definetly never reported someone wrong. BEcause I hate morons that do that. I only reported these sometimes. Only because of that "wrng" reports a ban like these? SO maybe i was toxic, but only to these players, who were toxic before in way like they banned now.

I absolutely like the way they banned those, but I feel treated unfairly, because I only said something in bad behaviour against those, who acted in a bad behaviour

I report a lot of players since I have started the game. Most of the those reports have been for dc, no team play and verbal abuse. Punished alot of people in tribunal and have been reported myself for verbal abuse. Didn't receive a ban yet.
    And that is wierd, too. You got no ban, but you reported often for no teamplay? Who says they really did not participate in teamfights etc and you just reported wrong? There is a big failure in the way they did it, even when they did it right. Paradox.
    Last edited by mmoc50a729cd06; 2012-08-23 at 07:48 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    It's not high [reporting after 10% of games] at all. Some of these players have reported players in nearly 100% of their games, or all 9 players in their games in numerous games--they've used reports as a bully tool.
    Seems perfectly fine to me to ban people that just spam report button and constantly threaten others with reports.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

Even spamming the Bad Player report will get this to happen, and you weren't doing it just "maybe once a week" to get a 7 day ban for abusing it, you were hitting it nearly every game.

Seems perfect, reporting a player for no reason is just wasting someone else's time.
    And if you report someone every game, you seriously must have some issues.

"oh i lost a game and got my ass handed to me by the enemy team?

report."

"but but, he said LOL to me when he got first blood on me...

REPORT."

lmao
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2012-08-23 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I think its a brilliant move by Riot.
    Couldn't agree more.

I've been following all of Lyte's responses on the issue, and wow, some people in this game... I've even seen some of the examples he refers to about hate speech in the Tribunal.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    And that is wierd, too. You got no ban, but you reported often for no teamplay? Who says they really did not participate in teamfights etc and you just reported wrong? There is a big failure in the way they did it, even when they did it right. Paradox.
    Because when I reported for no teamplay, rest of my teammates also reported that same person. I just don't report everyone asap they do something that doesn't make sense to me. The same person has to do mistakes over and over and over, and not listen, then I report them. Same goes for everything else.

And when I talk about people reporting me for verbal abuse, it's generally stuff like "you guys are idiots" etc. (people report for this stuff) I never restore heavy flaming. I do however, mock people when they make mistakes or play stupid after they called me out on something I had done previously.

My reporting statistics are something like 1 person every game in about 3 games. Most of my reports have been for people who dc right from the start. Don't report "feeders" and light "verbal abuse" even though I believe it's perfectly valid to do so.

If you receive such a lengthy ban, then you must have done something very very wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

when its not really intentionally or really hard flaming....and thats happening maybe once a week.
    Long time lurker, but felt the need to repost to this topic. As soon as I read your response to this ban I immediately went to check who started the "Why do you flame your opponents when you win", and sure enough it was you. While I can see there are some cases where people actually "flame" at the end of a game, I thought you were being waaaaay too sensitive. If someone is doing bad and then gets carried to victory by his team, and the only thing he says is "noobs" at the end, he is probably just joking. After reading that awhile ago seeing that you got banned was flat out hilarious. After reading the red posts on the matter it is quite clear that pretty much all the people banned are people that deserve it, and in the vast minority of the community. Chances are you need to relax a bit when you play and watch your own behavior.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Even spamming the Bad Player report will get this to happen, and you weren't doing it just "maybe once a week" to get a 7 day ban for abusing it, you were hitting it nearly every game.
    Wait wait wait! So you say you don't see some guy playing bad like every second game?
    There is on big thing here, this thing is not even for tribunal, but wait there is even more. By reporting bad players you actually HELP them, and other people too. Lowering their MM value will place them with stronger players (hopefully) and will allow them to get better without getting steamrolled.
    If you're talking about randomly reporting everyone in the game, then pardon. But can't see how it's bad to report unskilled people often.

Deleted
    i never played LoL, but with all these mentioned reportings, the game just seems to be a giant douchefest i am not interested in participating in.

seriously, reporting players for being a bad player? wow
    Last edited by mmocd03f375e36; 2012-08-24 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AFK-Champion View Post
    Wait wait wait! So you say you don't see some guy playing bad like every second game?
    There is on big thing here, this thing is not even for tribunal, but wait there is even more. By reporting bad players you actually HELP them, and other people too. Lowering their MM value will place them with stronger players (hopefully) and will allow them to get better without getting steamrolled.
    If you're talking about randomly reporting everyone in the game, then pardon. But can't see how it's bad to report unskilled people often.
    From what I read from Lyte, some of these people were reporting a HUGE amount of people, like the other 9 players in almost every match, for reasons that would reach the Tribunal, where the unskilled player report never reaches that. Just for reference on the bans they did, http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2504838&page=1
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    You have no idea, the community of LoL is spot on notorious for being extremely hostile. You need tough skin if you want to take the game seriously

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    i never played LoL, but with all these mentioned reportings, the game just seems to be a giant douchefest i am not interested in participating in.

Playing LoL the last 4 months or so definitely made me a bit more tolerant of the WoW community, that's for sure.

It's still far better than XBL though.
    Light or darkness...which are you blinded by?

Great move, the main thread about these bans is also hilarious to read.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garivana View Post
    Long time lurker, but felt the need to repost to this topic. As soon as I read your response to this ban I immediately went to check who started the "Why do you flame your opponents when you win", and sure enough it was you. While I can see there are some cases where people actually "flame" at the end of a game, I thought you were being waaaaay too sensitive. If someone is doing bad and then gets carried to victory by his team, and the only thing he says is "noobs" at the end, he is probably just joking. After reading that awhile ago seeing that you got banned was flat out hilarious. After reading the red posts on the matter it is quite clear that pretty much all the people banned are people that deserve it, and in the vast minority of the community. Chances are you need to relax a bit when you play and watch your own behavior.
    YOu are right. I reported these often, too, but only other people say, saying easy or something else in the end of a game is not worth a punish in the tribunal I get banned, because my report rate that got really punished was too low? You found the failure in the ban system. RIOT based on stats by player decisions. And in these are the same flamer and reporter, that have not got a ban. Even if they deserved it, too, but they seemed to have luck.

And btw, when I got banned because I report everyone who says easy at the end...really, read the codex of LoL. Saying Easy at the end is against their own codex so a ban must follow, but stupid players decide not to ban, so others got banned, that did not deserve it. There is the major problem and why RIOT cut their own flesh. On international forums i saw an awesome thread about tribunal cases you can laugh about.

So deciding on "wrong" reports from the tribunal is the worst thing they could ever do. I feel like I should flame now instead of being calm, what I am most of the time, and think I should not be banned for that, but those, who report me should be banned.

BTW: You can call for more accurate reports for your ban I read, and there seem to be some major changes after people got them and compared them to other tribunal cases from finalesfunkeln.com/tribunal.php, there seem to be first unbanned people now...and they seem to get nice remunerations, that is the proof RIOT just banned some without a strict line
    Last edited by mmoc50a729cd06; 2012-08-24 at 07:55 AM.

Deleted
    YOu are right. I reported these often, too, but only other people say, saying easy or something else in the end of a game is not worth a punish in the tribunal I get banned, because my report rate that got really punished was too low? You found the failure in the ban system. RIOT based on stats by player decisions. And in these are the same flamer and reporter, that have not got a ban. Even if they deserved it, too, but they seemed to have luck.

And btw, when I got banned because I report everyone who says easy at the end...really, read the codex of LoL. Saying Easy at the end is against their own codex so a ban must follow, but stupid players decide not to ban, so others got banned, that did not deserve it. There is the major problem and why RIOT cut their own flesh. On international forums i saw an awesome thread about tribunal cases you can laugh about.

So deciding on "wrong" reports from the tribunal is the worst thing they could ever do. I feel like I should flame now instead of being calm, what I am most of the time, and think I should not be banned for that, but those, who report me should be banned.

BTW: You can call for more accurate reports for your ban I read, and there seem to be some major changes after people got them and compared them to other tribunal cases from finalesfunkeln.com/tribunal.php, there seem to be first unbanned people now...and they seem to get nice remunerations, that is the proof RIOT just banned some without a strict line
    You seem to think you got banned because you mis-used the function once or twice. I'm convinced, even more so after reading the thread, that you have mis-used it often while being an ass about it and also had other things on your name/account. THey have some serious restrictions in place before you are eligible for this ban, and if I see people asking why they didn't get banned with 35-40% reports overall then these restrictions are very high. I report players every game, seriously. I always make sure to enter some motivation and make sure the report is warranted. I might say "I'm reporting you for ... (usually verbal abuse)" in game, but I never say "omfg noob report feeder". All these things make a big difference. I am by no means a very calm person, I just keep it to myself.
    I daresay over 90% of the bans handed out will be justified, and your post really screams to me that you are in the category of the majority, and thus at fault.

Sentences like these make me so sure: "I feel like I should flame now instead of being calm, what I am most of the time, and think I should not be banned for that, but those, who report me should be banned."