Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Vietnam prepares its people for possible war with China

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-s...er_share=eedca

"A new National Defense Education Act has been approved by the standing committee of Vietnam's National Assembly on Aug. 20 to provide basic military training to every civilian under 50 years old, according to Duowei News, an outlet run by overseas Chinese.

To prepare for a possible military conflict with Beijing over the disputed Paracel and Spratly islands in the South China Sea, Hanoi has tried several diplomatic and military approaches. During the recent standoff between Chinese and Philippine vessels near the waters of Scarborough Shoal, Su-27 fighters from the Vietnamese air force began their first patrols over the Spratlys to put pressure on the Chinese government. To counter Beijing's influence in Southeast Asia, Hanoi has also changed its attitude towards the United States. US naval vessels were also invited by Vietnam to conduct a joint military exercise between the former enemies.

Facing its own territorial dispute with China in the East China Sea, Japan also decided to provide advanced patrol boats to the Vietnamese government through its Official Development Assistance program. To reduce China's cultural influence, a policy was also issued by the Vietnamese authorities to limit the broadcasting of Chinese TV programs in the country.

From its experience during the Vietnam War, Hanoi knows the value of mobilizing its population. Accordingly, it believes every civilian under 50 years old should be trained for battle in case a war with China should break out. Political education has also been introduced to teach the nation's children that their neighbor to the north is an aggressor."

war is never the answer, vietnam or china.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onorvinco View Post
    When you are attacked you do not have a choice. Nobody likes or wants to have war, but sometimes you need to deal with reality. As long as there are humans, there will always be war.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 09:00 AM ----------

Also if war were to somehow break out. The US, Vietnam, Japan and South Korea would utterly destroy China. Don't expect Russia to get involved either. They trust China about as far as I can throw my car.
    Last edited by Eomar; 2012-08-23 at 01:58 PM.

Deleted
    Looks like we are heading into a second cold war.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    Looks like we are heading into a second cold war.
    I doubt this war will ever happen, well not in the next 5 years at least. too much at stake.

Yeah because if you ask an invader to go away nicely they'll always listen.

15+ Year Old Account
    IF war isn't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

This is just one of the MANY possibilities that could lead us into WW3 and the end of things as we know it. There are so many scenarios on the table daily that we have no idea about I’m sure, that we only see otherwise in movies.

Outta sight outta mind, but it’s the realization that it could all be gone in seconds that make me appreciate what I have.
    That war=bio,and nukes bad shit

if america was smart, they'd sit back and let these guys go at each other. however, my gut feeling is that america has already struck a deal with vietnam and the phillipines for future oil rights and that's why its taking an anti-chinese stand on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    if america was smart, they'd sit back and let these guys go at each other.
    What's smart about that? It's not like like Vietnam is China's equal in material terms.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-08-23 at 02:54 PM.

Deleted
    Vietnam vs china
    GG GL HF

10+ Year Old Account
    why does every thread like this have ppl who assume the u.s would go to war with china and visa versa

not gunna happen, to much economic stuff at stake

The citizens should say Fuck the government and the war. It's madness to die only for some piece of land ffs

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What's smart about that? It's not like like Vietnam is China's equal in material terms.
    in case you've forgotten, the government of vietnam is the same government that we had a little conflict with in the 60's and 70's. they made it very clear they did not want to be on america's BFF list and have continued to do so. now all the sudden its big bad neighbor is flexing its muscle and vietnam is inviting "US naval vessels...to conduct a joint military exercise." yea, they can fuq off as far as im concerned. i don't want to see a single penny, a single piece of intelligence, a single ounce of training given to hanoi.

and why antagonize china? why get involved in a conflict that is so obviously over oil rights and nothing else. this isn't like syria where at least you could use the excuse of human rights and dictatorships and massacres and whatnot. this conflict is strictly over a few tiny islands in the ocean that has the potential of containing oil in its offshore boundaries, end of story.

its smart because we won't be wasting taxpayers' money. we won't be wasting manpower, intelligence, training on a "frienemy" nation, vietnam. we won't risk war with china. we won't risk incurring international scorn for such a petty conflict.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Vietnam wasn't equal to the US in material terms either, but they did kick the US out. China won't be so stupid as to invade.

For the US to get involved would only raise tensions.

in case you've forgotten, the government of vietnam is the same government that we had a little conflict with in the 60's and 70's. they made it very clear they did not want to be on america's BFF list and have continued to do so. now all the sudden its big bad neighbor is flexing its muscle and vietnam is inviting "US naval vessels...to conduct a joint military exercise." yea, they can fuq off as far as im concerned. i don't want to see a single penny, a single piece of intelligence, a single ounce of training given to hanoi.
    im partly with you. i dont like the idea of sending american troops on the terms of a hostile "friend" of convenience. as far as intel and stuff goes... sure. if we can do it in a manner that doesnt cause a conflict with china give them all the intel and old military equipment they want, just to keep china busy and wasting their resources. in that case we'd be using vietnam as much as they were using us

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Oh you're so silly. America attacks Vietnam, you lose, and now, for revenge, you aren't going to help them stop an illegal invasion which'll probably be condemned by the whole frakking world? Bravo.

and why antagonize china? why get involved in a conflict that is so obviously over oil rights and nothing else. this isn't like syria where at least you could use the excuse of human rights and dictatorships and massacres and whatnot. this conflict is strictly over a few tiny islands in the ocean that has the potential of containing oil in its offshore boundaries, end of story.
    Because if China invades, they'll be breaking the UN convention, and it will be YOUR duty, as the strongest military nation in NATO (not that NATO is related in such a way to the UN, but still), to provide assistance.

its smart because we won't be wasting taxpayers' money
    As i've said, UN laws outweigh national laws and interests. No one cares how much Americans taxpayers' (oh and i love that word, i can't believe how often it's used by Americans) money will go into the effort. Actually, you wouldn't have to worry anyways. It's not like America starts mass production of weapons or hires more soldiers or something. Aren't war assets constant?
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-08-23 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Vietnam wasn't equal to the US in material terms either, but they did kick the US out. China won't be so stupid as to invade.

For the US to get involved would only raise tensions.
    yes, we lost the vietnam war. however, that's only half the story. if you do an in-depth study of the vietnam war, the US was fighting that war blindfold with one arm and one leg tied behind its back. the number of stupid war conditions it imposed or agreed upon was ridiculously stupid.

when america goes ballz to the wallz against competing nations, you get results like WWI and WWII. when america goes ballz to the wallz against lesser nations, you get results like desert storm. when america fights blindfold with one arm and one leg tied behind its back, you get results like korea and vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Oh you're so silly. America attacks Vietnam, you lose, and now, for revenge, you aren't going to help them stop an illegal invasion which'll probably be condemned by the whole frakking world? Bravo.
    wait, you show up in every thread, saying america has no business doing war stuff, and now start in because someone says they DON'T want war?!? and yes, that govt is hostile to US, granted for valid reason imo. but as you've said many times IT'S NOT AMERICA'S JOB. but now it is? what?

i tend to agree with you, but i dont care for this 180 at all

You were sounding pretty smart until you said this little thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    As i've said, UN laws outweigh national laws and interests.
    I don't know what country you live in but no country waived their sovereign rights when the United Nations was formed and United Nation resolutions are only "binding" for countries that sign them. I put quotations marks around binding because LOL at the United Nations. If the US wanted to not obey them they could just pull funding and that stupid organization would just wither away.