Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Uh, no. There's tons of people that don't even have Facebook or Twitter accounts and if you have an Android phone and use Gmail then you are basically always checking your email. I look at Facebook one or two times in the evening after work. I look at Twitter like, oh, almost never. I check emails whenever I get a notification.

    Bottomline is this, Facebook and Twitter are fine and all but they have all of the email addresses for those of us that have set up an account. It wouldn't kill them to email as well. Sending a mass email doesn't take any longer than making a facebook or twitter post.
    I had to sign up for a Twitter account so I wouldn't be missing any gaming news. It seems to be the trend nowadays.

    I hate having it. I hate social media. I want email updates and I want to see news on the website of the game, not on some third-party site like Facebook.

  2. #22
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,028
    You people do realize you don't need a Twitter or Facebook account to read their posts to either site? They make the posts fully public.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    I had to sign up for a Twitter account so I wouldn't be missing any gaming news. It seems to be the trend nowadays.

    I hate having it. I hate social media. I want email updates and I want to see news on the website of the game, not on some third-party site like Facebook.
    I got a twitter account for the same reason but it's really pointless. If you find an active fan forum like this one, anything that gets posted on twitter will be cross posted here before the 'ink is dry' so to speak. Same thing with Facebook but I actually use that at least a little bit. I have no use for twitter at all.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 11:34 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You people do realize you don't need a Twitter or Facebook account to read their posts to either site? They make the posts fully public.
    And you realize that he wasn't limiting the scope of what he was talking about to a-net right? That said, I would expect most game developers would make their posts public. The point is that there are many of us that really don't like social media and forcing us to use it for updates isn't really appreciated. They have my email address, use it.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You people do realize you don't need a Twitter or Facebook account to read their posts to either site? They make the posts fully public.
    ^ truth, I dont have an account on either site yet I follow GW2's FB page (and no other pages on that hellspawned site) I also frequently refresh the forums here as folks are prety good about relaying anything posted there withen minutes of an anouncement.

    Who is John Galt?

  5. #25
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    And you realize that he wasn't limiting the scope of what he was talking about to a-net right? That said, I would expect most game developers would make their posts public. The point is that there are many of us that really don't like social media and forcing us to use it for updates isn't really appreciated. They have my email address, use it.
    Get more modern. There's people out there who still don't like e-mail or cell phones, and still use fax machines.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    I got a twitter account for the same reason but it's really pointless. If you find an active fan forum like this one, anything that gets posted on twitter will be cross posted here before the 'ink is dry' so to speak. Same thing with Facebook but I actually use that at least a little bit. I have no use for twitter at all.[COLOR="red"]
    If you use twitter for only one thing (Anet new here), its pretty useless.

    The purpose of twitter is to follow multiple things so that every news come straight to you without having to check things one by one.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Get more modern. There's people out there who still don't like e-mail or cell phones, and still use fax machines.
    That's apples and oranges. And your "get more modern" statement to a guy that has a high end gaming pc, ps3, smartphone, multiple HDTVs, etc. is fucking laughable. I think I'm doing just fine keeping up with technology. Some people don't like social media. Deal with it.

  8. #28
    Actually it does take longer/more headache to send out emails than a tweet or status update. Part of the reason social media became so popular was immediacy.

  9. #29
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    And your "get more modern" statement to a guy that has a high end gaming pc, ps3, smartphone, multiple HDTVs, etc. is fucking laughable.
    Doesn't matter. Sooner or later, every person stops advancing their technology forward, stubbornly claiming that they don't need to advance. Some people draw the line at different points. Even people still using fax machines aren't against upgrading to the latest and most awesomest fax machine.

    I simply endeavor to never let myself get that old. ^_^
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 05:51 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    That's apples and oranges. And your "get more modern" statement to a guy that has a high end gaming pc, ps3, smartphone, multiple HDTVs, etc. is fucking laughable. I think I'm doing just fine keeping up with technology. Some people don't like social media. Deal with it.
    And some businesses have chosen social media as their preferred quick announcement outlet. Deal with it.

    Note I'm one of those people that don't like social media. I make just as much use of it as required and ignore it otherwise.

    Who is John Galt?

  11. #31
    That's why I prefer twitter to facebook. You don't have to be social on twitter.

    Just follow what you like, keep the page open, receive announcements, click links, never miss a thing. No friends chatting, no photos, no demand of likes, no wall of texts, very concise display...
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-23 at 05:54 PM.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    If you use twitter for only one thing (Anet new here), its pretty useless.

    The purpose of twitter is to follow multiple things so that every news come straight to you without having to check things one by one.
    The problem is you can't control what people post to their twitter feeds. For every one thing I care about like this:

    We will be conducting another stress test in 10 MIN! Details here: http://ow.ly/daqx5 ^MK
    There are 10 things I couldn't give a shit about like this:

    @ibrokeit1979 Should be possible now, try again ^MK
    I get enough bullshit notifications on my phone. I don't need them increased exponentially.

  13. #33
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,028
    Who said anything about feeds? O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    The problem is you can't control what people post to their twitter feeds. For every one thing I care about like this:



    There are 10 things I couldn't give a shit about like this:



    I get enough bullshit notifications on my phone. I don't need them increased exponentially.
    Unless you're already following "ibrokeit1979", the second one does not actually show up on your personal feed. But you'd know that if you ever actually used Twitter.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  15. #35
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Unless you're already following "ibrokeit1979", the second one does not actually show up on your personal feed. But you'd know that if you ever actually used Twitter.
    Heh, even better. Not that I actually use Twitter enough to know these things. :O
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually it does take longer/more headache to send out emails than a tweet or status update. Part of the reason social media became so popular was immediacy.
    Seriously doubt that. I can send an email to everyone in my customer database within seconds of finishing typing it and I don't have high end, expensive software. Furthermore, I'm not asking that they stop the social media crap, just shoot out an email to those of us that don't want to bother monitoring that crap. We are customers too and I'm pretty sure they pay people just to communicate stuff to their customers.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 11:58 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Unless you're already following "ibrokeit1979", the second one does not actually show up on your personal feed. But you'd know that if you ever actually used Twitter.
    Check out this month's @GamesMaster to be in with a chance to win an Alienware X51 and some #GW2 @SteelseriesUK gear!...
    Better? Point is that there is lots of shit I don't care about on there.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    The problem is you can't control what people post to their twitter feeds. For every one thing I care about like this:



    There are 10 things I couldn't give a shit about like this:



    I get enough bullshit notifications on my phone. I don't need them increased exponentially.
    You don't receive tweets aimed at other people. Just the official ones.

    If the official ones are a bunch of useless crap then its another issue but @GuildWars2 isn't one of them.

    Edit:

    Well okay you will receive that kinf of promotional stuff... if it makes you angry sure don't use twitter and miss the thing you care. I still think its way easier to just receive tweets from everything you want and then just scroll down and ignore the unimportant stuff, than having to check multiple sources to see if anything is new.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-23 at 06:02 PM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    And some businesses have chosen social media as their preferred quick announcement outlet. Deal with it.

    Note I'm one of those people that don't like social media. I make just as much use of it as required and ignore it otherwise.
    This is pretty silly. It's not like email is some archaic form of communication. If you can't be bothered to communicate with me, your CUSTOMER, via MY preferred method of communication, maybe I can't be bothered to give you my money. Obviously not the case here with me but I'm just sayin' as someone that is a SALESMAN by profession that you really should do things on the customer's terms whenever possible.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 12:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rezoacken View Post
    You don't receive tweets aimed at other people. Just the official ones.

    If the official ones are a bunch of useless crap then its another issue but @GuildWars2 isn't one of them.

    Edit:

    Well okay you will receive that kinf of promotional stuff... if it makes you angry sure don't use twitter and miss the thing you care. I still think its way easier to just receive tweets from everything you want and then just scroll down and ignore the unimportant stuff, than having to check multiple sources to see if anything is new.
    Or, they could just send out an email if it's something important like a stress test (after all, you want as many people as possible in your stress test yes?) and save the bullshit contests for twitter. Just to clarify, that stuff doesn't make me angry, I just find it a waste of time because I'm wholly uninterested in entering a contest with one of their marketing partners. That doesn't just apply to A-net, it's all companies that have those contests. I don't enter them and I don't care about them.

    edit: I just took a look at the website the OP linked. You can enter your email address for each event and the site will send you an email reminder. How ironic
    Last edited by Osprey39; 2012-08-23 at 06:12 PM.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Seriously doubt that.
    Not really no. If that were the case we'd be using Emailbook and Tweemialer.

    Having an email template, changing the body of the email and pushing it out to millions of accounts is a slower process than typing "Stress Test in 10 mins. Smooches. ~RB2".

    Not sure how one comes to believe twitter is a slower process than emailing. That's fine though. As someone said above, some companies have chosen the popular social media outlets as their method of communication.

    Deal with it.gif.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-23 at 06:19 PM.

  20. #40
    I made the mistake of following the Sims 3 twitter feed.

    Yes, I play Sims 3. Get over it.

    Talk about random nonsense spam. I just want updates about expansions and other game news. I don't want to read everything they feel like re-tweeting. I also don't care about their random musings. Seriously, stop spamming. I un-followed them.

    GW2 isn't as bad with their feed but there's still more crap than I care about reading. I get emails from every other game I'm interested in, why can't I get emails from GW2?
    Last edited by rhinomatic; 2012-08-23 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Auto correct sucks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •