Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    pushing it out to millions of accounts
    Which is the real issue. Send out emails on that scale is anything but instant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Which is the real issue. Send out emails on that scale is anything but instant.
    For proof, we just need to remember what happened when we were signing up for participation in closed betas. Some of us waited a long time for e-mails.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    This is pretty silly. It's not like email is some archaic form of communication. If you can't be bothered to communicate with me, your CUSTOMER, via MY preferred method of communication, maybe I can't be bothered to give you my money. Obviously not the case here with me but I'm just sayin' as someone that is a SALESMAN by profession that you really should do things on the customer's terms whenever possible.

Or, they could just send out an email if it's something important like a stress test (after all, you want as many people as possible in your stress test yes?) and save the bullshit contests for twitter.
    For announcements that are for the CUSTOMER's benefit they do. BWE's are announced on all social media sites and through email. Stress tests on the otherhand are for THEIR benefit not YOURS. Bulk mailing has many extra steps involved than tossing a simple anouncement up on their FB page. For mailing the message must be composed, double checked for accuracy, cross all the T's dot all the I's, get it signed off on by marketing to ensure it sets the proper tone and is unlikely to inadvertently offend someone. People are allot less forgiving of mistakes made in "Official" correspondence and thus the extra steps and therefor additional time is required if they choose to go that rout. FB posts on the other hand are much more informal and the customers must make the conscious choice to go there to see every message granting Anet more leeway and allows them to get announcements out quickly.

In effect using facebook/twiter involves 1 person in getting the word out. Dev's tell community leader that were having a test in 10 minutes, community leader updates facebook to that extent. Useing email on the other hand the message may have to pass through 2 or more departments before being sent out, departments that may be closed for the evening at the time they want to send out the announcement.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2012-08-23 at 06:47 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Not just that, but clicking "send" on an e-mail isn't "instant", and hasn't been since its inception. Especially when doing them en masse.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not really no. If that were the case we'd be using Emailbook and Tweemialer.

Having an email template, changing the body of the email and pushing it out to millions of accounts is a slower process than typing "Stress Test in 10 mins. Smooches. ~RB2".
    How long does it take to send out an email that says "We are having a stress test at such and such a time"? Not very damn long. Is Twitter faster? Maybe so but if you want to actually you know, stress test stuff, don't you think it would be a good idea to do both?

Not sure how one comes to believe twitter is a slower process than emailing. That's fine though. As someone said above, some companies have chosen the popular social media outlets as their method of communication.

Deal with it.gif.
    I never said Twitter was slower. I did however say email is neither outdated nor does it require exceptional effort to utilize. I think only using social media to get news to your players is pretty damn lazy. Does that have a bearing on my decision to play GW2? Nope, I like the game too much but if I were on the fence about it, the fact I have to go to somebody else's website (ie: twitter) to get news about the game I'm paying for wouldn't thrill me. Luckily with this game I don't really even need to go to twitter. There's plenty of little spambots here that are all too happy to monitor it and breathlessly repost as fast as they can

10+ Year Old Account
    I think only using social media to get news to your players is pretty damn lazy.
    Says the person refusing to go the extra mile to check on social media. O_o

lol, extra mile, like it really is that hard...
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 10:33 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Says the person refusing to go the extra mile to check on social media. O_o

lol, extra mile, like it really is that hard...
    I do check it but I don't check it constantly and I don't want to like/follow them and get notifications every time they post something irrelevant to me on their social media sites.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do check it but I don't check it constantly and I don't want to like/follow them and get notifications every time they post something irrelevant to me on their social media sites.
    I still don't understand what all of these spammy notifications you're talking about are. I mean, sure, you showed examples, but I've liked their facebook, I have their twitter followed with my vastly under-used twitter account, and I check them now and then whenever I have nothing better to do, and I'm not seeing large amounts of spammy notifications that are giving me ulcers, like you seem to suggest is happening. If nothing catches my interest, I shrug and move on.

It seems to me what's happening is that you're making a mountain range out of an ant hill.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Osprey, you can turn notifications off in Facebook and Twitter under settings/account profile and such.. that way you dont get spam in your inbox saying blah blah posted blah and the like.. really not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I still don't understand what all of these spammy notifications you're talking about are. I mean, sure, you showed examples, but I've liked their facebook, I have their twitter followed with my vastly under-used twitter account, and I check them now and then whenever I have nothing better to do, and I'm not seeing large amounts of spammy notifications that are giving me ulcers, like you seem to suggest is happening. If nothing catches my interest, I shrug and move on.

It seems to me what's happening is that you're making a mountain range out of an ant hill.
    It's not that I think that A-net is that spammy about it. I'm really just voicing my opinion as a customer and that opinion is I don't like having to monitor social media to keep up with their product. You guys started the back and forth by saying stuff like 'get more modern'. I just tried to point out that lots of people, like me, have a strong distaste for twitter and/or facebook. I don't use twitter at all and I wouldn't use facebook either if it weren't for the fact that it is an easy way to keep up with distant friends and relatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also go into the settings for like... priority of notifications, I believe. But then, if you loathe facebook/twitter with a ridiculously pointless passion (i.e. for the sake of being a hipster), I suppose that kind of priority wouldn't matter?

I can understand not caring to use them to a certain extent. Personally, I see no point to Twitter, because the messages are so damn short, and I don't care to tell people every thought/action I have/take over the course of a day. It's also kinda redundant with what Facebook already does.
    But something like Facebook, it has it's uses, so long as you don't go overboard with it like some people do. It's become habit to periodically check Facebook just because, hell, something might have happened that's worth noticing.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 10:50 PM.

It's not that I think that A-net is that spammy about it. I'm really just voicing my opinion as a customer and that opinion is I don't like having to monitor social media to keep up with their product. You guys started the back and forth by saying stuff like 'get more modern'. I just tried to point out that lots of people, like me, have a strong distaste for twitter and/or facebook. I don't use twitter at all and I wouldn't use facebook either if it weren't for the fact that it is an easy way to keep up with distant friends and relatives.
    The thing is, they know how many have registered accounts (and thus can participate in events), and how many follow them on twitter/facebook. In addition, stress tests are for them, while BWEs are for both us and them; for BWEs, they send out emails (and those sometimes take hours if not > a day for some people). For stress tests, they must feel that they have enough followers through social networking (plus fan sites where at least some follow social networking and then spread the word) that they don't feel the need for further spreading the word. Plus, due to the delay of email, and the timing of stress tests (last night there was one with only 10 minutes heads up) it wouldn't be effective -- you'd have some users getting the email after the stress test occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I dunno, on the people/personalities I have 'liked' on facebook in the past, I get every damn thing they post.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally just think that people hate on Facebook because it's the "in" thing to do to rage against the machine and be hipster about the whole thing. At the end of the day, nobody really gives a shit. It's useful, and there's no reason to hate on something just because it's widely popular. I know I was using Facebook back when you required a university e-mail to join, simply because it was a great way to keep in touch with my college friends, and my high school friends that went off to different colleges. Now it's expanded to be a great way to keep in touch with any of my regular friends, who may not be able to keep in touch with me face-to-face forever (and realistically, nobody will).

All I know is, that if it weren't for Facebook, I'd have no idea where my old high school friends have gone to in the world. I wouldn't know about the one guy who got a sex change. Wouldn't know about that girl who got married and just now recently got divorced. Wouldn't know about the one who has become a mother of two, and is still incredibly religious. Wouldn't know about the one who went and became really obsessed with biking and exercise and now looks really amazingly trim.
    Do I really need to keep tabs on these people? Nah. Not any more than I need to give a damn about my own family's piddly ass problems. But it's still nice to keep in touch with people. It's all part of being social.

I dunno, on the people/personalities I have 'liked' on facebook in the past, I get every damn thing they post.
    Does that really matter? What are they making you miss by you scrolling through things you have no interest in? You might as well be raging at companies that own TV channels about all these ads that are worthless to you. You might as well go PM Bobouille that all these ads on the web site piss you off.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    Diablo 3 launch was awesome, though. I got so much housework done that day. I've never felt so productive.
    We have a winner.

I have twitter just for GW2 (and following hardstyle DJs/parties), quite handy.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    The thing is, they know how many have registered accounts (and thus can participate in events), and how many follow them on twitter/facebook. In addition, stress tests are for them, while BWEs are for both us and them; for BWEs, they send out emails (and those sometimes take hours if not > a day for some people). For stress tests, they must feel that they have enough followers through social networking (plus fan sites where at least some follow social networking and then spread the word) that they don't feel the need for further spreading the word. Plus, due to the delay of email, and the timing of stress tests (last night there was one with only 10 minutes heads up) it wouldn't be effective -- you'd have some users getting the email after the stress test occurred.
    Again, I'm not asking for email notifications in lieu of twitter/facebook posts. I'm saying why not use both methods and cover all your bases? Yes, I realize sometimes there are delays in emails getting delivered but that is the exception, not the rule.

Again, I'm not asking for email notifications in lieu of twitter/facebook posts. I'm saying why not use both methods and cover all your bases? Yes, I realize sometimes there are delays in emails getting delivered but that is the exception, not the rule.
    When you're sending out hundreds of thousands if not millions of emails, it's pretty much the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    About the only thing about Facebook that truly pisses me off is that employers will check you across social media to see if you're "hirable" as if your social life impacts your work ethic. O_o

Thinking that sort of behavior should be illegal. Then again, companies would probably just pull the old "If you don't give us permission to check your facebook, we won't hire you" kind of bullshit.

At least I can set everything on my page to only show to friends, or even just specific friends, and look extremely anti-social?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 11:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Osprey when you like a page yes you get crap on your page, however if you hover your mouse next to the title u'll see a drop down menu, and then you can choose hide this post then it will give u an option to hide all posts from that page ... seems to me that perhaps you need to look at stuff in depth instead of just fobbing it off as crap.
    Last edited by Cherrysoul; 2012-08-23 at 11:21 PM.