Thread: PC Optimization

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

PC Optimization

I am considering upgrading some parts of my computer. I want to buy a new graphic card. My current PC specification is:

Motherboard - Asus P7H55-M
    CPU - i5 something
    Memory - 2GB DDR3
    Graphic Card - Nvidia GT 520

I am thinking about: keep the same motherboard, same CPU and change the graphic card to a Radeon HD 6950 and upgrade to 4GB DDR3 or maybe 8GB DDR3.

Any opinions? Do you think I should change motherboard and CPU too since I mostly play games and sometimes I use creativity apps like photoshop and dreamweaver? My mainly concern is the graphic card. The memory I think 4GB is enough. Some ppl are saying to me to just upgrade the ram. I want to experience graphics at a much higher level on Dead Space, WoW, CoD etc...

32bit OS = 4Gb
    64bit OS = 6Gb

Is the rule of thumb. But i would go another 2Gb just to be sure. On the GFX i highly recommend the nvidia 670GT 2Gb. i LOVE this card its silent, really cool at 100% use and have high fps in every game ive played so far.

It should be noted i run with an i5 3570k tho

Deleted
    The GT 520 is an entry-level video card, not that amazing for highly detailed video games. If you get the 6950 or another similar card (or a lower 7-series, or a similar performance nVidia card) keep in mind that those cards eat up more power than the 520, and you might have to get another power supply as well.
    Also, add more RAM as well, the difference is mind-boggling especially if you use Win7.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok i use 64bit version so I'm gonna upgrade to 6Gb. I have to buy a power suply cause mine is almost done for! It makes a lot of noise. I clean my PC so its not dust inside. So between Nvidia 670GT and Radeon 6950HD which is best? I dont need the ultra resolution but i would like to get better grafics without taking out so much FPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearington View Post
    The GT 520 is an entry-level video card, not that amazing for highly detailed video games. If you get the 6950 or another similar card (or a lower 7-series, or a similar performance nVidia card) keep in mind that those cards eat up more power than the 520, and you might have to get another power supply as well.
    Also, add more RAM as well, the difference is mind-boggling especially if you use Win7.
    That's not entirely true the 7k and 600 series cards use less power then there predessors.

OT: Nvidia just realeased there 660 and that would run just about whatever you can throw at it for like 300 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'd run with 8GB on the basis of dual-channel (since 3GB sticks don't exist AFAIK).
    He could do 2x1 Gig sticks. (which is probably what he has now) and he's looking to buy 2x2 gig sticks.

--given that the board has 4 slots.
    Last edited by Valorous; 2012-08-23 at 03:15 PM.

Deleted
    You definable want a Radeon HD 7850 rather than a 6950. They've just dropped in price and are a real steal.

4 GB of RAM are the least you want. With RAM prices being so low, there's really no reason not to get 8GB of RAM. It might not boost performance much but it will pay of eventually. Make sure you install Windows 7 -64 bit though otherwise all that RAM is useless.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    My board has 4 slot for ram. Should I buy then 4 sticks of 2Gb or 2 sticks of 4 Gb DDR 1333Mhz?

Quote Originally Posted by Krazkul View Post
    My board has 4 slot for ram. Should I buy then 4 sticks of 2Gb or 2 sticks of 4 Gb DDR 1333Mhz?
    That depends on whether or not you would upgrade again, really, though if you buy 2 sticks of 4, you can keep your other 2 sticks in there. Just make sure that they are in the correct slots. Dual channel only works if there is the same amount of ram in a channel. The slots on the board are usually color-coded to help you out with this. Refer to the diagram:

So for instance, stick the 4 gig sticks in slot 1 and 3 and the 1 gig sticks in 2 and 4.
    Last edited by Valorous; 2012-08-23 at 03:38 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah cool didnt know i could keep the other DDR. Do all of the 4 sticks must have the same MHZ? or just need to be the pair corresponding? One other thing: in specification of my board it says PCI express 2.1 and the Asus Radeon HD7850 says PCI Express 3.0. Is it compatible? Or 3.0 is just some tecnical upgrade? Sorry for nub questions! Hardware is not my strong...

For memory, it's usually best to have the closest match possible. So if you have 1333MHz Corsair ram already installed, it's recommended to go with the same brand and speed. Generally if you don't, no problems occur and if you install faster memory, it's just automatically clocked down to the lowest sticks speed. However, memory is probably the most finicky part in your machine. I'd stick with the recommendations.

Also, note that memory speed difference is really not that noticeable to the average person once you are in the 1333-1600 range. You're better off spending your money on an SSD after that to improve load times.

Quote Originally Posted by Draahl View Post
    32bit OS = 4Gb
    64bit OS = 6Gb

Is the rule of thumb. But i would go another 2Gb just to be sure. On the GFX i highly recommend the nvidia 670GT 2Gb. i LOVE this card its silent, really cool at 100% use and have high fps in every game ive played so far.

It should be noted i run with an i5 3570k tho
    32 bit 4Gb limit and sometimes dedicates 0.75 Gb somewhere else leaving people at 3.25ish

64 bit OS does not equal 6Gb it allows for more than 4Gb

Starter: 8GB
    Home Basic: 8GB
    Home Premium: 16GB
    Professional: 192GB
    Enterprise: 192GB
    Ultimate: 192GB

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...mits_windows_7

@OP there is no reason not to have 8Gb as it is so cheap unless you only have Windows 32bit OS. Also your video card is like a business class GPU not the best for gaming standards.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were you I would get 8gb ddr3 1600 ram (corsair is my favored brand) the new PSU and GeForce 660ti (that Radeon would work too) and this would do you well (IMO) until next year when you can get a new mobo + CPU. I look at it as trying to future proof or plan ahead for your next rig so you don't have to waste any money upgrading the same parts next year.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    And how about the graphic card being PCI express 3.0? is it compatible with a MB with 2.1?

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 11:55 AM ----------

also i checked yesterday and i have 4 Gb DDR3 1333Mhz so to get 8Gb, since my MB has 4 slot for memory should i buy plus 2 sticks of 2 Gb to get the 8Gb DDR3? or is it more effecient for memory manager to have only 2 sticks of 4Gb each? or is it equal having either 4 sticks of 2GB or 2 sticks of 4Gb?