Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Some info on sub-numbers. Not just for SWTOR.

I found the following information at MMOData.net. These are charts in which they track sub numbers over the years, measuring their peaks. It's a little out-dated, having been updated on May 8th. I just found it interesting, how many games didn't even breach the 1 million mark. Assuming this data is correct, of course.

1. Games that have peaked at over 1 million.

2. Games that have peaked from 150k-1 mil.

3. Games that have peaked between 150k-50k.

Edited due to large picture. Can click images for bigger versions. -Arlee
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-08-23 at 06:24 PM.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

As far as I know those graphs are pretty accurate. I haven't really seen anyone disprove their info.

Thanks for scaling those down for me!

Also, there was a sub-50k chart, but I didn't feel like posting it. It was far too depressing, and I'd never heard of even a single one of those games.

Deleted
    no sub numbers on the secret world?

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally have looked at this date in the past. AC and Vanguard were both amazing (in my opinion) but their sub numbers were no where near astronomical. Subscription numbers do not determine if the game is great or not. Its all on perspective.

@Niker99

These were graphs created before TSW was released.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2012-08-23 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I personally have looked at this date in the past. AC and Vanguard were both amazing (in my opinion) but their sub numbers were no where near astronomical. Subscription numbers do not determine if the game is great or not. Its all on perspective.

Ridiculous! Sub numbers clearly determine if a game is good or not, and if a game doesn't maintain at least 1 million players it's an awful game!

Seriously though, the thing I actually find most interesting about the graphs is how long some of these games stayed around with relatively few players. I mean look at Ultima Online, it looks like it was around for 12 years and only peaked at 250k players. I think it puts things in a different perspective.

Also is Aion still a subs game? That is one that I have never really looked into.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never knew Aion was that big, or Warhammer and AoC so small. Interesting stuff.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    As far as I know those graphs are pretty accurate. I haven't really seen anyone disprove their info.
    To quote from their page:

Accuracy Rating :

A rating – Most or all of the datapoints come from official or other reliable sources and are in line with other numbers and information.

B rating – Part of the datapoints come from official or other reliable sources and part of the datapoints come from estimates, third party sources, unclear official sources or other indirect information.

C rating – Some of the datapoints may come from official or other reliable sources, many of the datapoints come from estimates, third party sources, unclear official sources or other indirect information.

Star Wars The Old Republic
    Abbreviation = SWTOR
    Accuracy Rating B

World of Warcraft
    Abbreviation = WoW
    Accuracy Rating A

World of Warcraft East
    Abbreviation = WoW East
    Accuracy Rating B

World of Warcraft West
    Abbreviation = WoW West
    Accuracy Rating B

Rift
    Abbreviation = Rift
    Accuracy Rating C

Ultimate verdict...they really can't prove anything. Almost every entry is graded by their own scale of B and lower. Even determining their A grade, I underlined why I will never believe anything they publish. Basically everything they do is logical guesswork. No thank you.

Edit: They also do not reveal what any of these 'reliable sources' are. Oh ok, please feed me the sugar spoon sir!
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-08-23 at 06:56 PM.

Why no Maplestory on active accounts list?

I knew it was BS that it was Chinese subs WoW was losing. People always love claiming that, saying "oh it doesn't matter that they lost subs because it was mostly Chinese people anyway."
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Pretty crazy how big the gap is between WoW and the next MMORPG. Kinda surprised Rift is that low, always thought they were in the 500k range at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

@Niker99

These were graphs created before TSW was released.
    I found AC alright, but Vanguard (to me) was 'meh' at best. It's like the EQ guy (Brad McQuaid, I think) just tried to make "his version" of EverQuest. My RL best friend lauded this game as a WoW-killer, and I got to smugly laugh at him for.. well.. I still do it if he mentions Vanguard. Years of entertainment for me, and I only actually played the game for less than a month!

However, you're correct. To each his own. I wasn't posting it to show who's "best" (I don't care for WoW, the obvious 'winner'). I just thought it was interesting is all.

Rift topped a million really quick. So obviously the data is off for that one. The rest seems pretty close to what I have seen before heard in the past yada yada yada. Also sub numbers are a measure of success not quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Ultimate verdict...they really can't prove anything. Almost every entry is graded by their own scale of B and lower. Even determining their A grade, I underlined why I will never believe anything they publish. Basically everything they do is logical guesswork. No thank you.
    Yeah, it's not really "proof". You can't prove your numbers when the company doesn't release them (Trion, for example). These are estimates, and the site even admits they're estimates. The community is pretty good at figuring these things out, though. The charts might be off one way or another, but it can't be by that much, right? Say 30-50k in one direction or the other?

Which particular entry did you find the most "false" or "inaccurate"? Just curiosity on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

Edit: They also do not reveal what any of these 'reliable sources' are. Oh ok, please feed me the sugar spoon sir!
    Ah I see, well that is saddening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    Rift topped a million really quick. So obviously the data is off for that one. The rest seems pretty close to what I have seen before heard in the past yada yada yada. Also sub numbers are a measure of success not quality.
    You mean topped a million sales? Because you can easily have over a million sales and not ever have over a million subs.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rift has never released sub numbers. So its inaccurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Just because the company itself hasn't released numbers doesn't mean one can't get a general idea of it.

From this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...play-and-money
    "The only number we saw was 1 million, which referred to Rift accounts pre-launch. That didn't mean 1 million people had bought the game, nor did it mean 1 million were paying an £8.99 a month subscription.

Hartsman declared Rift "is absolutely profitable", but there's a tendency to believe that if the developer/publisher hasn't shared numbers, then those numbers weren't worth shouting about. Had Rift more than 1 million subscribers, we believe we'd have heard about it by now.

We've seen this kind of behaviour before. Dungeons & Dragons Online, The Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, Champions Online, DC Universe Online and soon Star Trek Online all withheld subscriber numbers. Then, months - sometimes years - down the line, each game eventually reinvented itself as a free-to-play MMO."

And if you read the thread Kitty linked the info about where/how they get the info and Rift is listed as a C... So thanks for restating.

Deleted
    I've yet to see anything that convinces me they have any basis in fact.