Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding the threat against Chapman's life...

The parole board held a third hearing in 2004, and declined parole yet again. One of the reasons given by the board was having subjected Ono to "monumental suffering by her witnessing the crime." Another factor was concern for Chapman's safety; several Lennon fans had threatened to kill him if he were released. Ono's letter opposing his release stated that Chapman would not be safe outside of prison. The board reported that its decision was based on the interview, a review of records and deliberation.
    As said.....
    You don't simply release someone into freedom, if said freedom has a high probability to equal death. AND on top the continuation of the spiral by replacing one prisoner with a new one. By making 2 murders out of 1 murder.

Common sense used by the justice system.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Thank you for proving my point.
    Disproved..... Plus your knowledge of the case appears to be lackluster.
    The parole board has long established what I said.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    This is likely the reason, but not because of any "fear of reprisal" but simply because everyone - even the parole board - says, "Oh, this is the dick that shot Lennon, fuck him."

Remember, rich and/or famous people are better than you! If you're going to shoot people, make sure they're just poor folk, preferably minorities. (The More You Know!)
    with richs knowledge of the military, I dare say he could shoot anyone, and no one would ever know who done it

20 years to life.

Some people do not understand the "to life" part.

He could live to be 120 years old and still be in jail, denied parole over 50 times or w.e, it still does not change what that sentence means. His time was never over when he served 20 years, that was the time he was to serve until he was eligible for parole. Thats a massive difference.

Plus, he wont live 2 days before being brutally murdered once he is out. And I do not want to see a dime of tax payer money ensuring his safety either, he isnt worth anything.
    Chronomancer Club

Personally....I have a really hard time with this. A Life sentence itself seems almost as barbaric as a death sentence or state condoned murder (Really that is what it is). Haven't we grown past this mentality? Isn't the prison system there to rehabilitate people so they are able to enter back into society as a productive member? Again, I have a really hard time with this subject because there are people I "think" should never be allowed into public again... BUT if they have been successfully rehabilitated then why should we keep people in prison? It seems like everyone always runs back to the "eye for an eye" mentality of locking someone up forever.....but it seems very counter-productive to the stated goal.

Aside from that, I have a hard time with this because he was John Lennon's killer. At the same time, everyone that knew this man knew how he lived his life and what he stood for. How do you think he would feel about this man sitting in jail possibly for life?

In my Crim theory class the case was brought up because the guy was clearly insane. It then becomes an issue of how responsible is he for his actions and will he reoffend.

Deleted
    They should release him and put him in a mental institution.. what he did was bad but if he was given 20 years in prison and he has carried hes sentence, monster or not, they shouldn't be able to keep him locked up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Life in prison seems completely fair when you decide to murder someone.

If someone was to murder me in the future, I'm perfectly fine with knowing they spent the rest of their life locked up for it. Forgiveness? Rehabilitated? No. You robbed me of my life and took me from the people that loved me most.
    Yes but then he should have received a life sentence, not 20 years. We live in a country where laws should reign supreme and feelings or fear of what someone might do shouldn't give anyone the right to keep a person locked up.

ANYONE should be paroled when they become no longer a threat to society. Is there evidence to suggest he is reformed? I would like to see some sources before I form an opinion on this individual... The way murderers can repay their debts to society is by changing their ways, adopting non violent values and working + paying taxes/charities like the rest of us.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-08-23 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Life in prison seems completely fair when you decide to murder someone.

If someone was to murder me in the future, I'm perfectly fine with knowing they spent the rest of their life locked up for it. Forgiveness? Rehabilitated? No. You robbed me of my life and took me from the people that loved me most.
    Again, you are condoning "eye for an eye" aka revenge. This doesn't solve the problem, nor does it prevent it from happening in the future. It just tosses 2 lives away. Also if someone is mentally unfit, they should be in a place that provides help for that issue....jail is really not the right environment for them and might be more dangerous for the other inmates.

Still I am torn because murder is such an emotionally charged and biased crime. No punishment should ever be based on an emotion. It is a mistake every time.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eye for an eye is a valid practice when you're 100% sure who the murderer is. Like in this case. The only reason death penalty is not readily implemented in civilized countries is because Justice System is not infallible. That saves innocent lives. But also saves guilty ones.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side