Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Why do people disrespect the President?

I'm fed up with it. People saying "Deport Barry 2012," "Liar in Chief," "Sultan in Chief," "Dumbo," "Gaybama," "The Kenyan," "Our Terrorist Leader," "The Lyin' King." I really could go on forever with the insults that have been spewed out against President Obama. The people doing so should be ashamed of themselves, just like the people that say he is a Muslim, he wasn't born in the United States, or that he never went to college. I mean, what is wrong with the people that think that. First off, his religion should not matter (even though he is a Christian, he obviously had to be born in the United States (do you really think the Secret Service or FBI would NOT conduct an investigation to make sure of it?), and obviously he went to college (they don't hire anyone to be a constitutional law professor at the University of Chicago Law School).

Its one thing to not like the President, and thats the fine. We all have our political views. But to disrespect the President is absolutely disgusting and anyone that does it shouldn't call themselves an American. I dont care about our 1st amendment rights, I am not saying they should be punished, I am just saying they don't deserve to call themselves Americans.

There's plenty of people on both sides who say stuff like that. I don't agree with it, but I also didn't see an uproar over all the nasty things Bush was called and how everyone disrespected him, so Obama doesn't get much sympathy from me.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is natural and been so since the first tribal societies to call the ruler with all sorts of names if you happen to disslike him.
    Very often you have no other means of fighting back than talking crap about someone, I think you can relate to this yourself as we all can.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-08-23 at 07:46 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldTitan View Post
    There's plenty of people on both sides who say stuff like that. I don't agree with it, but I also didn't see an uproar over all the nasty things Bush was called and how everyone disrespected him, so Obama doesn't get much sympathy from me.
    Bush was "special", most of the world considered him a clown.

I only specifically mentioned Obama since he is the current President. I really meant any President. I think disrespecting the office of the President is disgusting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    I only specifically mentioned Obama since he is the current President. I really meant any President. I think disrespecting the office of the President is disgusting.
    What does the office has to do with it? A fucking moron can be voted into office as long as people vote for him.
    Sounds a bit North Korea'ish to be honest, blindly applaud and cheer for everything the leadership does.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I think it comes down to a lot of people do not respect authority. Also, some people may just not believe his presidency is something to respect or show respect to. I personally did not respect Bush AT ALL. Now, did I go around with bumper stickers on my car? No. But if someone asked me what I thought of him, they sure got a blunt response.

Respect is not given, it's earned.
    There is no reason to blindly 'respect' a politician, just because he/she was elected to a certain position.

He's a liar, a cheat and a thief - just like 99.99999% of the others.
    Follow the $, he had the most expensive campaign in history - $5.3 billion - you really think he was just Given that?
    No, he has a constituency (extraordinarily wealthy ones) to appease - at the cost of the U.S. taxpayers.
    Last edited by Trigunflame; 2012-08-23 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    What does the office has to do with it? A fucking moron can be voted into office as long as people vote for him.
    Sounds a bit North Korea'ish to be honest, blindly applaud and cheer for everything the leadership does.
    Dude you're taking it too far. You can say you hate Obama. I dont care. But calling him our Muslin in Chief is just plan disrespectful.

Deleted
    Absolutely agree with that. You have to question those that govern or you end up with a dictatorship.

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 08:51 PM ----------

Dude you're taking it too far. You can say you hate Obama. I dont care. But calling him our Muslin in Chief is just plan disrespectful.
    That wasnt in what you quoted......

15+ Year Old Account
    I gave you the answer previously.
    It is natural and been so since the first tribal societies to call the ruler with all sorts of names if you happen to disslike him.
    Very often you have no other means of fighting back than talking crap about someone, I think you can relate to this yourself as we all can.
    How many have not had a teacher they called names, or someone in class, someone at work, your brother in law, what does the president have to do with it?

Yes I agree it is somewhat disrepectful but also perfectly natural.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2012-08-23 at 07:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fed up with it. People saying "Deport Barry 2012," "Liar in Chief," "Sultan in Chief," "Dumbo," "Gaybama," "The Kenyan," "Our Terrorist Leader," "The Lyin' King." I really could go on forever with the insults that have been spewed out against President Obama. The people doing so should be ashamed of themselves, just like the people that say he is a Muslim, he wasn't born in the United States, or that he never went to college. I mean, what is wrong with the people that think that. First off, his religion should not matter (even though he is a Christian, he obviously had to be born in the United States (do you really think the Secret Service or FBI would NOT conduct an investigation to make sure of it?), and obviously he went to college (they don't hire anyone to be a constitutional law professor at the University of Chicago Law School).

Its one thing to not like the President, and thats the fine. We all have our political views. But to disrespect the President is absolutely disgusting and anyone that does it shouldn't call themselves an American. I dont care about our 1st amendment rights, I am not saying they should be punished, I am just saying they don't deserve to call themselves Americans.
    You are absolutely right, its one thing to not like the President, and that IS fine... the problem the current President and his allies have is a lack of credibility in being upset over his depictions and how he is described... MANY of them were among the vanguard of those spewing hateful things at the previous President.

Thing is... those afflicted with BDS trotted out the first amendment over and over in defense of their vitriol... so... whats good for one is good for the other...

I am truly SORRY that you are upset over the how the current President is being treated, however, he's as deserving of the verbal abuse as the previous President was/is.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Wait so just because someone is a moron it means you need to call him names and make fun of them? Sounds pretty immature to me.

And Muslim and Chief isnt what I quoted because I wasnt going to list all the insults against President Obama. Just by typing in google a quick search came up with this:

http://brainshavings.com/obama-nicknames/

Because people love having a scapegoat to deflect their own mistakes onto. Politics in this country are far more of a team sport than a rational discourse on doing what's actually best for the country.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2012-08-23 at 07:56 PM.

You don't have to agree with the President but you certainly should respect their position. I don't care how much you hate him because unless your mentally ill if he (or she one day in the future) shows up at your house you won't say "Hey go fuck yourself". You'll like say "pleasure to meet you".

There was the same level of disrespect for Bush. "He's an idiot" "He's a redneck" etc. Yeah, millionaire, owner of a professional baseball team, two time elected governor, and two time elected president. WHAT A FUCKING DUMBASS. Not. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they should die or be exiled or the country will go into a civil war.

I have no political affiliation at all and never vote. Just throwing that disclaimer out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    I am truly SORRY that you are upset over the how the current President is being treated, however, he's as deserving of the verbal abuse as the previous President was/is.
    Its perfectly okay to criticize the Presidents for things you did not like, but verbal abuse? And I do agree Obama should be criticized as much as Bush was, and as much as Clinton, Lincoln, Washington, and whoever was President. But we should never insult them. Are we all little children on the playground?

Perhaps I am just old fashioned

It's their right to think/say stuff like that... And it's my right to call them morons. That's the *whole point* of being American. The freedom to do and say whatever you want within the law.

Unfortunately, people like to take things to extremes, but no one (especially the president) should be above criticism just because of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpenth View Post
    You don't have to agree with the President but you certainly should respect their position. I don't care how much you hate him because unless your mentally ill if he (or she one day in the future) shows up at your house you won't say "Hey go fuck yourself". You'll like say "pleasure to meet you".

There was the same level of disrespect for Bush. "He's an idiot" "He's a redneck" etc. Yeah, millionaire, owner of a professional baseball team, two time elected governor, and two time elected president. WHAT A FUCKING DUMBASS. Not. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they should die or be exiled or the country will go into a civil war.

I have no political affiliation at all and never vote. Just throwing that disclaimer out there.
    Im glad someone sees eye to eye with me

There is a middle ground between absurd name calling and "blindly applaud and cheer for everything the leadership does". You can be critical of people without resorting to name calling and outright lying. Attack policy all you want but leave the personal attacks out of it imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its perfectly okay to criticize the Presidents for things you did not like, but verbal abuse? And I do agree Obama should be criticized as much as Bush was, and as much as Clinton, Lincoln, Washington, and whoever was President. But we should never insult them. Are we all little children on the playground?

Perhaps I am just old fashioned

To be honest, you need to get used to it, the US use a polarised 2-party system. About 35% of the population hate the president at any given year with all their heart.
    The national sport during election year is also not what people would asume actual politics but 10% politics & 90% smear campaigns.
    In light of that I would not be very surpirsed if the president no matter party affiliation got trash talked, do you?