Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Size matters? How do you picture a profession's archetype?

Sup hommies, Well yesterday I was reppin the heavy wieghts with my homeboy and needless to say we are pretty stoked for guildwars 2. He and I take our charecters apperiances very sieriously in our games. So me and him came across a different view on how a ranger should look. He said rangers should be very frail and weak because they sit back and use a bow with a pet to get in front. I said they should have a med-above average body type for they use swords too and are not afriad to jump into combat, plus you need a good amount of strength to use a pretty powerful bow. But even though I explained my point agian and agian, he still stuck to his image because "thats how he pictured it in his mind". Which I find a very cool thing this will create alot of diversety in the game. I want to know what you guys have your archetype for your proffesion pictured in your mind. It should be very interesting to hear about what you all have to say! (-:

Peace to all my hommies out there </3
    Edit 1- fixed a little typo
    Last edited by phones; 2012-08-23 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phones View Post
    Sup hommies, Well yesterday I was reppin the heavy wieghts with my homeboy and needless to say we are pretty stoked for guildwars 2. He and I take our charecters apperiances very sieriously in our games. So me and him came across a different view on how a ranger should look. He said rangers should be very frail and weak because they sit back and use a bow with a pet to get in front. I said they should have a med-above average body type for they use swords too and are not afriad to jump into combat, plus you need a good amount of strength to use a pretty powerful bow. But even though I explained my point agian and agian, he still stuck to his image because "thats how he pictured it in his mind". Which I find a very cool thing this will create alot of diversety in the game. I want to know what you guys have your archetype for your proffesion pictured in your mind. It should be very interesting to hear about what you all have to say! (-:

Peace to all my hommies out there </3
    Edit 1- fixed a little typo
    I place a similar value in appearance. Since I haven't played beta or a stress test yet, I'll probably be spending at LEAST 30 minutes creating my main character.. if not an hour...

I don't think traditional body/class combination sizes matter to me as much though. For onearmor and weapons scale to your character size, so it would seem that a tiny Asura holding a tiny bow could fire a tiny arrow just as swiftly and far as a big bulking Norn with a big bow.

I also think body size/strength can be interpreted different ways. I plan on playing a guardian and couldn't decide between a human and an Asura. I could see an Asura being perceived as a little guy with a big heart; a guy who might not have much physical substance but someone who's desire to protect his teammates is all that matters. In this case I think an Asura would fit perfectly (whereas some would argue being an Asura would make him seem like a weak protector and that the Human would be a better fit).

Just like you and your friend had different opinions, I think the opinions in game will be split too. You'll see a lot of traditional size of body/profession/race combinations, as well as some unique combinations. Personally, I tend to agree with you

I'm playing a Charr Elementalist and an Asura Guardian, just because I can.

An archer in my head is lithe but built. Lean muscle sculpted for movement from one position to the next, crafted for agility more than strength, but not frail.

Bows with 80 lbs or larger draw aren't uncommon, even outside of fantasy, and to repeatedly pull them without strain takes quite a bit of upper body strength, so I'll stick with that.

Rangers, by what I recall, is essentially a wilderness expert, and loves to actually be out in the wild and hunt. You have to have some good upper body and endurance to survive well out in the wilds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Randaagulf View Post
    An archer in my head is lithe but built. Lean muscle sculpted for movement from one position to the next, crafted for agility more than strength, but not frail.

Bows with 80 lbs or larger draw aren't uncommon, even outside of fantasy, and to repeatedly pull them without strain takes quite a bit of upper body strength, so I'll stick with that.
    This is pretty much how I picture a hunter. They have enough strength to draw a bow repeatedly with quickness. I think they value agility and endurance more though as they have to be quick on their feet and have enough endurance to keep foes at bay. They can use swords but I don't think that would really mean they should be bigger in size. I see a hunter using a shortsword or dagger as it is just a secondary weapon. Maybe dual wielding to deliver quick deadly blows when forced to do close combat.

Rangers have big shoulders from pulling back a bow. I did some archery for a while and it works your arms.

I plan on having a muscular thief, I never really liked the look of skinny characters unless they were casters. I probably will not have a skinny character even if he is a caster. I do want an asura guardian though, their dance would look so cool in the asura tier 3 heavy cultural armor. Reminds me of tron or something lol.

Clearly the bigger the better, here is your fine example

yeah I picture my ranger with great upper body strength, not a bulging steroid Norn but a well built Human / Sylvari with good facial features/ facial hair.
    I believe it's time for me to be famous.

I picture my elementalist as a physically weak person, but with a strong mind and nimble reflexes. A ranger i see as a wire-y and strong person that can last and last and last.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So... much... frat-bro in OP's post... must... resist... urg... to mock...

But seriously...

A big reason I'll be rolling a Norn warrior is because of prof's archetypes. I wanted to make a Necro as well, but I figure it HAS to be an Asura or Sylvari. Norn casters just look... odd to me. I tried rolling one, just to see how it feels during BWE1 and I didn't like it. But, I'm totally fine with a Norn Ranger.

Another odd combo that I've tried, for pure shits and giggles, was Charr thief. It was... odd. But I also tried Charr Engineer, and that was pretty cool. Felt good too.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll be a "perfect sized" Mesmer, not for lore reasons, just sex appeal. But I guess it can be on the lore side, too. I don't see many big-boned magic users in live-action movies or TV shows. Might pull a muscle or something casting dat spell with an epic maneuver.

10+ Year Old Account
    As you said everyone will have a different perception on how they think a certain Profession should/would look like.
    I'd probably agree with you on this situation because the Ranger uses swords aswell.

I imagine Mesmer's to be frail, They use swords yes, But they are using the force to levitate the sword and do all magical stuff :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Randaagulf View Post

80 lbs isn't a lot at least for a long bow. Archers back in the day had bows sometimes above 120lbs, even 100 wasn't that much.
    I doubt that they used those for hunting tho since accuracy doesn't go up when you up the lbs.

They dug up some archer graves and their shoulders had insane defromations. So no, an archer or ranger wouldn't be a 80 pound weakling especially since they were also trained in melee combat for obvious reasons.

Deleted
    I imagine a ranger as lean, whippy, but strong. They won't be built like a brick shit house, but they won't be frail either - years living rough in the wilderness, hunting for your food etc will toughen you up alot, and the need for stealth and speed when hunting will naturally mean that they won't be too huge. Won't be frail though, not at all - pulling a bow takes a fair amount of strength and if you do it regularly you'll get huge arms

Deleted
    What an interesting thread!

I agree with the description of the ranger being lithe, yet hardy and strong. Lots of long, lean muscles.

Thief - even more lithe and acrobatic, less hardy...a body like a coiled spring.

Asura - pallid, decayed looking warty skin, a smell like fruit and millk thats gone well off...calculating eyes that act as gateways to their cruel, twisted souls...odd lumps that occasionally burst, spraying filth and young asura.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    Asura - pallid, decayed looking warty skin, a smell like fruit and millk thats gone well off...calculating eyes that act as gateways to their cruel, twisted souls...odd lumps that occasionally burst, spraying filth and young asura.
    Sounds like a bookah to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think of ranger and I think of characters like Aragorn, Faramir, and Tanis Halfelven. All skilled in various weapons, all are fairly skilled sneaks/hunters/trackers.
    You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

When I think of an engineer I think of Cid from Final Fantasy IV.

and for some reason that reminds me of a Charr with facial hair

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PropayneLOL View Post
    yeah I picture my ranger with great upper body strength, not a bulging steroid Norn but a well built Human / Sylvari with good facial features/ facial hair.
    ... didn't know someone made the potion "steroid" and that Norn have a habbit of takening it. Personally I don't think body build is affected by profession, I'm a scifi/fantasy nerd and I play NRL football and workout. An hour or two a day is all you need to keep fit and build muscle, Ranger may find it difficult to find weights while traveling through woodland but it wouldn't be impossible for them to increase their muscle mass.

On a side note: I understand its just for gameplay mechanics but an Asura shouldn't have any Melee profession due to their short stature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sjc4Zugie8 Couldn't imagine an Asura playing NRL.