Thread: Mother fucker?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    At the farmers market with my "so called girl-friend"
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpledrink503 View Post
    Okay so I'm having this discussion in mumble today and a girl in mumble says Mother fucker is the most offensive curse word and she gets mad at when people use it. I ask her why and she says because it implies incest. For some reason this never crossed my mind when someone has called me this or I've called something else this.

When you use this word or if it's been used about you is this was crosses your mind? Do you think someone is saying you have sex with you own mom? Or you're implying someone else does?

I'm 31 and grew up in a pretty rough part of town and well by no means was sheltered or have any real excuse on why this never crossed my mind that way.

So I guess my question is did anyone else not think of this as an incest insult?
    That's interesting, I've never thought about it like that. I have always thought of "Mother Fucker" as not implying incest, but stating that you are the "Mother" of "Fuckers". As in the original, Top, king/queen of.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Q: What's Black, White and Asian all at the same time?
    A: Pandas. Easing racial tensions since 1999.

Different people have different sensitivities, usually because of how rough or not their environment was growing up. It's something you have to watch out for on chat. It's not a lot to ask to avoid certain words so as not to make people uncomfortable while you're all playing a game together, within reason.

I grew up in a pretty rough neighbourhood too, nothing fazes me. Every second word was "fuck" and "cunt" was used in almost every sentence as a general synonym for "person". I try to be understanding of people who find swearing more confrontational than I do :P

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Fuck literally means rape
    No, it doesn't. It has never meant that. It means to have sex with (it's neutral), it's just a vulgar way of saying it. And nobody knows what it means "literally" because its etymology is uncertain.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2012-08-24 at 05:47 AM.

Oh my bad about the title I wasn't even thinking about if I was breaking forums rules. So if a mod would change it to not offend or break any rules please do.

There was an article in a magazine (New York Mag or NY Times magazine maybe?) a bit back and they referenced the origins of the term, evidently/supposedly it came from American slavery times, when landowners would sometimes mistakenly breed black women with their male offspring (i.e. child was taken from mother at birth / sold / lost in the shuffle/ then sold back to same owner). And so it became the worst thing that a slave could call another.

Anyhoo, that's what I remember. I can't really guarantee the veracity of said history, but I'm sure you clever lads can root out the truth.

To wit: it may be colloquial now, but it originates from a literal description.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylyth View Post
    But what would you do if you DID call down the wrath of a supreme being??!!
    I'd use the phrase every second of every day, on everyone one and everything I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never once thought of it like that, though actually if the phrase is to be taken literally I think it implies more than you fuck mothers, not your own mother. Like the SNL song 'Mother Lover'
    Though I don't think anyone means it literally, Imagine this conversation
    Person A "You're a mother fucker"
    Person B "Yea yours"
    That response is more likely to just confuse them than anything. I'd consider it one of the less offensive words as I can't imagine anyone using that seriously to insult someone they don't like any more, I can only imagine friends saying it to each other as a joke.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-08-24 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never thought of it in that way, either. Like someone said, some curse words carry non-literal meanings... Even calling someone a "bitch" or a "dick" is misleading, because obviously the person is not a female dog or piece of anatomy.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Fuck literally means rape
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Yeah... no. No it doesn't. Nor has it ever.
    ya....ive walked by plenty of girls and said "id love to fuck her", never once in those thousands upon thousands of thoughts throughout life did i think "id love to rape her".

thats a pretty extreme grasp of the english language, lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't mother fucker something originally meant to be said to someone who fucked your mother? Usually that person isn't related to you.
    WoW is a game of information; the more you know, the better you are.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    Every Mother's Day needs a Mother's Night.
    OH that's good!
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

All words are simply something to be interpreted. That is especially true for curse words. Some people use words like that to add more emotion to what they are saying and others use them strictly to insult people.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpledrink503 View Post
    Okay so I'm having this discussion in mumble today and a girl in mumble says Mother fucker is the most offensive curse word and she gets mad at when people use it. I ask her why and she says because it implies incest. For some reason this never crossed my mind when someone has called me this or I've called something else this.

When you use this word or if it's been used about you is this was crosses your mind? Do you think someone is saying you have sex with you own mom? Or you're implying someone else does?

I'm 31 and grew up in a pretty rough part of town and well by no means was sheltered or have any real excuse on why this never crossed my mind that way.

So I guess my question is did anyone else not think of this as an incest insult?
    Not the sharpest tools in the shed that girl is.

Nah the most offensive words are those used specifically to insult other ethnicity's, such as the "n" word. IMHO.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-08-24 at 08:55 AM.

I think it's meant as an insult, but it's really not if you think about it.
    My wife is a mother, so when we "enjoy each others company" that's what I am ... I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    When someone calls you an asshole, does it imply that you are actually an anus?.
    This is my new sig.

Deleted
    Years ago I changed into using motherhugger instead.

My mother has called me a son of a bitch and a mother fucker... guess who stod with a loading sign over her head afterwards

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 12:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Nah the most offensive words are those used specifically to insult other ethnicity's, such as the "n" word or white'y. IMHO.
    quote correction

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

This come to my attention in abit different way. When someone says motherfucker in my language and you kinda want to say something back (if that was said offensively in the first place) and to kinda "win" argument by probably throwing the attacker back in confusion: yours, not mine (aka fuck your mother, not mine). First time it works 100%.
    Thou the meaning is never literal.
    So that girl is really too sensitive about a general insult, tell her to "fix" herself or she might have a tough time later on in her life

Change the title. Not very appropriate for a family gaming forum is it, when Mother Fucker pops up on the front page.

I can't believe that even moderators have posted in this thread and let this go.

So if your father has sex with your mother, is he not a motherfucker? Literal interpretations are for people who wish to complain about stupid things. Grow up or shut up.
    Don't be elitist, it's a video game for crying out loud. Cure cancer, then you can be an asshole.