Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Favorite (General) Quotes!

I apologize if there's a duplicate thread elsewhere; I searched for "favorite quotes", and I couldn't find a similar thread. I did see a "favorite video game quote" thread, but this thread is dedicated to general quotes, not tied to a specific nature.

Post your favorite (general) quotes here! They can be funny, insightful, meaningful, or whatever. Post away!

Here are mine:

• "Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure. When in fact to be proven wrong should be celebrated. It is [being elevated] to a new level of understanding." - Peter Joseph

• "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

• “The perfect being, was it? There is no such thing as perfect in this world. That may sound cliché, but it’s the truth. The average person admires perfection and seeks to obtain it. But, what’s the point of achieving perfection? There is none. Nothing. Not a single thing. I loathe perfection! If something is perfect, then there is nothing left. There is no room for imagination. No place left for a person to gain additional knowledge or abilities. Do you know what that means? For scientists such as ourselves, perfection only brings despair. It is our job to create things more wonderful than anything before them, but never to obtain perfection. A scientist must be a person who finds ecstasy while suffering from that antinomy. In short, the moment that foolishness left your mouth and reached my ears, you had already lost. Of course, that’s assuming you really are a scientist.” - Bleach. Lol.

• "There is no right, nor wrong; only conflicting ideologies." - Anonymous

• "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: What's the point. Which is a play on the following quote.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.— Robert Frost.

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.— Thoreau

“Three great forces rule the world: stupidity, fear and greed.” ― Albert Einstein.

"Knowledge and ego are directly related. the less knowledge, the greater the ego"
    ― Albert Einstein

"We are selfish, base animals, crawling across the Earth, [but] because we got brains, if we try real hard we can occasionally aspire to something that is less than pure evil. "
    - Dr. Gregory House
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-08-24 at 05:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." ~The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Mostly Harmless

10+ Year Old Account
    "I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the result of the known, irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence rather than the unknown, rational efforts of extraterrestrial intelligence." -- Richard Feynman

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll stick with the quote in my signature, and add another: "A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward." Same character. Don't care if he is fictional!
    Last edited by Willeonge; 2012-08-24 at 06:58 AM.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Just heard of a good, new one:

• The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices his money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die and then dies having never really lived." - Dalai Lama

Keep 'em coming, guys!
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2012-08-24 at 07:58 AM.

Deleted
    "O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life but exhaust the limits of the possible" - Pindar
    "Whether you think you can, or think you can't - you're right!" - Henry Ford
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why". - Mark Twain.

As written above the door of my home-gym:

"Fast enough to catch you, strong enough to rip your head off" - Anon.
    Last edited by mmoc36f8af66e9; 2012-08-24 at 08:20 AM.

Kurt Vonnnegut:

“And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.”

Edit: that entire chapter is a thing of pure beauty.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-08-24 at 08:25 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

--Marcus Aurelius

Also, my sig.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2012-08-24 at 08:20 AM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
    ~ Oscar Wilde

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    ~ Oscar Wilde

"Law Is The Servant Of Freedom. Freedom Without Limits Is Just A Word."
    ~ Lance Constable Dorfl (Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett)

“There may be a lot of things I’m not good at, but at least I don’t treat the punctuation of a sentence like a game of Pin the Tail on the Donkey…”
    ~ Commander Samuel Vimes (Jingo - Terry Pratchett)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
    ~ Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

Yeah, I'm rather keen on Mr Pratchett.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

15+ Year Old Account
    "Self confidence is the key to life" - Anon

I have a self interpertation of that tatooed on my body

"Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end" - Paolo Coelho

10+ Year Old Account
    Isaac Asimov
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

Oh and, this entire speech:

EDIT: I like the version with Time in the background better.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-08-24 at 01:56 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Isaac Asimov
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

Oh and, this entire speech:

EDIT: I like the version with Time in the background better.
    Oh, never seen that speech before. Very inspiring.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    "Only a fool humbles himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him."

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Big Bad Pig smelled lots of flowers and became a good pig. - Snapple 1999~ radio ad.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Our engines making a clink-clankety thunk bang kinda noise," were the final words the pilot said. -- Sim City 2000

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    John Lennon

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

"If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live"
    Martin Luther King Jr
    Last edited by Thrive; 2012-08-26 at 04:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man who drop watch in toilet, bound to have shitty time.

Ok seriously

Corny if you love something give it away
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Deleted
    Our bodies break down, sometimes when we're 90, sometimes before we're even born, but it always happens and there's never any dignity in it! I don't care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass... it's always ugly, always! You can live with dignity; you can't die with it!-greg house.

10+ Year Old Account
    "You speak of knowledge? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, all that you have built here is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which you shall awaken, finding yourself drowned in a greater nightmare." - Zeratul

"Let's face it, the "good guys" are just a bunch of pansies." - Attributed to Robert Jordan, on his Wheel of Time series.

Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron - The barbarians of Icewind Dale
    May the fleas of a thousand reindeer nest in your genitals

"The gods don't lie. People lie. The system fails when the gods must speak through a man's voice." - One of the Guild Wars Henchmen (I forget the name)

Learn how powerless, selfish, and foolish you are and accept your fate. - Eurynome Rhade (First name may be wrong)