Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    "When I was sixteen, I won a great victory. I felt in that moment I would live to be a hundred. Now I know I shall not see thirty. None of us know our end, really, or what hand will guide us there. A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus," or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice. Remember that." -King Baldwin in The Kingdom of Heaven (A quotation that I like not because I am religious in any capacity, but because if I were then I would enjoy this concept of justice.)

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” - Harlan Ellison

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Attributed (perhaps incorrectly) to Marcus Aurelius

And then of course, the best of them all when people make the strange leap of using their favourite general quotes to try and prove a point;

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-08-26 at 08:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    “All human wisdom is summed up in two words, wait and hope”

Alexandre Dumas

Ideas are bullet proof. -V-

“That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every 'superstar,' every 'supreme leader,' every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.”

-Carl sagan
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2012-08-27 at 04:23 AM.

“In the depths of my heart I can’t help being convinced that my dear fellow-men, with a few exceptions, are worthless.”
    ― Sigmund Freud

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde

Deleted
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."
    - Muhammad Ali