Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    They had the entire 'sidekicking' thing which leveled you up in areas that you were lower in (you'd just be weaker than normal players at that level because you don't have as many skills/abilities etc), the opposite of the downgrading system we have now. They took it out though, which is sad because it made the entire world open for everyone and made it entirely sandbox and make your own 'path' in playing and made the game more linear in terms of leveling progress like other MMO's, just without the entire old questing system to a certain extent.
    The limitation to that system, though, was that you needed to be grouped with someone and you wouldn't be upscaled any higher than the level of the highest person in your group.

I'm kind of sad they took it out, but I guess I can understand why.

They had the entire 'sidekicking' thing which leveled you up in areas that you were lower in (you'd just be weaker than normal players at that level because you don't have as many skills/abilities etc), the opposite of the downgrading system we have now. They took it out though, which is sad because it made the entire world open for everyone and made it entirely sandbox and make your own 'path' in playing and made the game more linear in terms of leveling progress like other MMO's, just without the entire old questing system to a certain extent.

OT:

- Decide if your main character will be your crafter, or a seperate alt. You can get a max character from just leveling all the crafting professions which would be easy to do if you gathered materials from normal leveling on multiple characters.
    You were only able to uplevel when you had someone of that lvl in your party, iirc.

Not that it matters. Anyway I like them removing it. It gives players the feeling of progression.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

If make a Charr and name him 'Mr Buttons' before I can, you owe me a beer.

- you will NOT be able to turn or strafe as quickly as you can in WoW. Make allowances for that
    - you can keybind a 180-degree turn in the options menu
    - the first weapon skill for most classes will be an automatically-repeating chain of 3, and will usually apply a status effect at the end. Casting other spells will reset the chain, so sometimes it's better to hold off and get that status effect before casting your more powerful skills.
    - most weapons will hit everything in their swing arc, not just your target. Make use of this

will add more if I think of any
    Last edited by Ashtaroth; 2012-08-24 at 09:37 AM.
    Making sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    You were only able to uplevel when you had someone of that lvl in your party, iirc.

Not that it matters. Anyway I like them removing it. It gives players the feeling of progression.
    I generally would prefer them to have a upscaling to their downscaling for areas, while it gives a feeling a progression, you're still stuck in a linear questing fashion, it's just not -as- linear as other games. The only reason I can see this being bad is that you could go to high level areas and farm hard to get materials from mobs.

But dropping this as it's derailing the thread.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    If make a Charr and name him 'Mr Buttons' before I can, you owe me a beer.
    challenge accepted

I generally would prefer them to have a upscaling to their downscaling for areas, while it gives a feeling a progression, you're still stuck in a linear questing fashion, it's just not -as- linear as other games. The only reason I can see this being bad is that you could go to high level areas and farm hard to get materials from mobs.

Indeed, it's not in the game anyway so no point in discussing it at great length

OT: you can send materials to your storage from your inventory on the fly

edit: was said before apparently :'(
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2012-08-24 at 09:44 AM.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

- you don't need gathering professions, and nodes are 'instanced' for you, so don't be afraid to harvest everything in sight.
    - bag space is at a premium. invest in bigger bags over anything else.

offtopic, I know, but.. Terry Brooks fan, by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtaroth View Post
    offtopic, I know, but.. Terry Brooks fan, by any chance?
    Assuming it's a rhetorical sentence d:
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic