Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    read his posts man! oh what the hell i'm giving you the benefit of literacy but it seems you do not have it here i'll write facts for you

FACT: he has a disability, CANNOT use his left hand for any movement

it's one thing to support a game but people should simply be honest, he came here to ask a simple question, answer it as truthfully as possible

no need to plug GW2, if he cannot play it, then say so
    There's no need to be so negative, just because you cannot play optimally or at a high level doesn't mean you can't still play it. If that were the case 95% of the MMO communities wouldn't be able to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that you will have some extra ability buttons (F1-4 for certain classes) for elemental attunements, class skills,engineer kits, etc. so it's not just 1-10
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    read his posts man! oh what the hell i'm giving you the benefit of literacy but it seems you do not have it here i'll write facts for you

FACT: he has a disability, CANNOT use his left hand for any movement

it's one thing to support a game but people should simply be honest, he came here to ask a simple question, answer it as truthfully as possible

no need to plug GW2, if he cannot play it, then say so
    By the gods you're annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I can click to move, I just don't like it as much (e.g. D3)

To clarify (in case I've confused people) the ONLY thing I have said I can't do is use my left hand to do movement. That is a showstopper.
    I would recommend a mouse with the most buttons possible. Like WoW, you can keybind things to your mouse, so you can theoretically make the mouse buttons how you move AND your abilities. Should be simple enough to do if you do it for WoW.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    There's no need to be so negative, just because you cannot play optimally or at a high level doesn't mean you can't still play it. If that were the case 95% of the MMO communities wouldn't be able to play.
    I write computer software very well, I play computer games probably in the bottom 30%.

The difference is I write computer software to earn a living, I play computer games to have fun

Done and dusted ... purchase made ... now to download a stack of stuff before start time.

It still isn't guaranteed, but at least I know I have a fighting chance

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 01:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Keep in mind that you will have some extra ability buttons (F1-4 for certain classes) for elemental attunements, class skills,engineer kits, etc. so it's not just 1-10
    In WoW - I have 1-10, Alt 1-10, Cntrl 1-10 and 5 special keyboard keys assigned for various activities - none of them movement.

Having F4 used for an important function is only a problem if I don't get my finger of the alt key quick enough from something else (which has happened a few times in WoW)

Deleted
    I have a mouse that can move everywhere, strafe and up/down on WoW - will I be able to move around at all.
    The movement keys in GW2 (forward / backward / turn left / turn right / strafe left / strafe right) are all completely rebindable, so I can see no reason to why you couldn't use your mouse controls for that.

there are way less abilities then in wow, you don't need alt commands everything can fit in 1-0 and you can rebind f1-f4 to qwer since you wont need them for movement. You also need to find a nice bind for weapon swap but other then that a mouse with enough buttons and your golden
    I believe it's time for me to be famous.

10+ Year Old Account
    The basics are the same as WoW.

I think you can dodge with your mouse, but not positive.

I am going to assume you play with a mouse with lots of buttons.

Reading through the replies, I can't see there being any problem.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2012-08-24 at 01:38 PM.

I write computer software very well, I play computer games probably in the bottom 30%.

The difference is I write computer software to earn a living, I play computer games to have fun

Done and dusted ... purchase made ... now to download a stack of stuff before start time.

It still isn't guaranteed, but at least I know I have a fighting chance

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 01:23 PM ----------

In WoW - I have 1-10, Alt 1-10, Cntrl 1-10 and 5 special keyboard keys assigned for various activities - none of them movement.

Having F4 used for an important function is only a problem if I don't get my finger of the alt key quick enough from something else (which has happened a few times in WoW)
    There are a lot less keybinds to worry about in GW2.

You have the tilde key ` is the default weapon swap hotkey, after level 7 you unlock weapon swapping and can swap between two different sets of weapons.

What weapon you are using affects your 1-5 skills. 1-3 is main hand specific and 4-5 is offhand specific. There are some exceptions such as the thief where their 3 skill changes depending on which weapon combination they are using. example skill 3 would be different for dagger/dagger, than for dagger/pistol. two handed weapons afect all numbers 1-5. Then there is number 6 which is the heal skill. and 7-9 are utility skills. and 0 is your elite skill, which is unlocked at level 30, you need skill points which you will gain from completeing skill challenges in the game to unlock those skills 7-0.

Other than that there's basically just the F keys. It's different for ever class, warriors and necromancers for example only have F1. Elementalists however use F1-4.

These skills are for your class specific ability, for necromancers it's death shroud, its a form you enter and your life force bar replaces your health bar and you get 4 new skills you can only use in that form.

For someone like Elementalist who use F1-F4, it's to swap their attunements. they can be attuned to either Fire, Water, Air or Earth. Each one they are in affects what their 1-5 skills are. They cannot weapon swap, instead they use attunements. So their 1-5 abilities are determined by a combination of what weapon they are using and what attunement they are in.

In the end its like 15 keybinds give or take.
    Last edited by Keldrath; 2012-08-24 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I am going to assume you play with a mouse with lots of buttons.
    Not really - G500 Logitech.

Side of mouse : 3 buttons, up,toggle movement, back
    Top of mouse: scroll button left = left strafe, scroll button right = right strafe, hold button + left or right to change direction or camera etc.

HOwever, in WoW it is impractical to reassign left/right click to other places - that might be different in GW2 leaving me two more buttons for movement

I also have another two buttons that are currently unused in WoW (used by default for DPI +/-).

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 01:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    There are a lot less keybinds to worry about in GW2.
    Other than that there's basically just the F keys. It's different for ever class, warriors and necromancers for example only have F1. Elementalists however use F1-4.
    Mesmer will be my first class ... looks like my kind of dood. Of course, I thought Druid would be my kind of class when I started wow and boy was I wrong

please continue.
    Last edited by Snuckerpooks; 2012-08-24 at 01:47 PM. Reason: I'm a moron

Not really - G500 Logitech.

Side of mouse : 3 buttons, up,toggle movement, back
    Top of mouse: scroll button left = left strafe, scroll button right = right strafe, hold button + left or right to change direction or camera etc.

HOwever, in WoW it is impractical to reassign left/right click to other places - that might be different in GW2 leaving me two more buttons for movement

I also have another two buttons that are currently unused in WoW (used by default for DPI +/-).

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 01:41 PM ----------

Mesmer will be my first class ... looks like my kind of dood. Of course, I thought Druid would be my kind of class when I started wow and boy was I wrong

Mesmer uses at least f1-f3, not sure if F4 was one for them but anyways for them its their shatter mechanic, they generate clones through various means but they can shatter them for added effects, each F1 key for them shatters them for a different effect, like f1 is just straight damage, so they blow up, F2 i think was the one where anyone caught in the shatter gets the confused condition, the other ones applied different statuses as well.

I think, Razer Naga or Logitech G600 + pedals on the floor will compensate the lack of fingers to press buttons.
    Sorry for my bad English, I'm from North Pole.

If anyone is interested, your right hand is controlled by the spatially superior left hemisphere of your brain, your left hand by the visually superior right hemisphere of the brain. I do not have any visual (or any sensory) 'memory' and thus navigation or movement is pretty much impossible using the visual part of the brain.

Most people can navigate using either mechanism, I cannot do this - in a car, my left hand remains lax on the steering wheel to ensure that the spatial side does the critical stuff.

Google will get you more info, but that is a short story on a single aspect of what I term my f'ed up brain

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone is interested, your right hand is controlled by the spatially superior left hemisphere of your brain, your left hand by the visually superior right hemisphere of the brain. I do not have any visual (or any sensory) 'memory' and thus navigation or movement is pretty much impossible using the visual part of the brain.

Most people can navigate using either mechanism, I cannot do this - in a car, my left hand remains lax on the steering wheel to ensure that the spatial side does the critical stuff.

Google will get you more info, but that is a short story on a single aspect of what I term my f'ed up brain
    So if I understand correctly, it is impossible for you to translate "I want to go left" to pushing for example the "A" key with your left hand, but using "hammer bash" by clicking that key does work for you?
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

That's very interesting, though unfortunate for you. Good to hear you've decided to give it a whirl - as a few others and myself have mentioned you CAN press both buttons to move. Best of luck to you, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    So if I understand correctly, it is impossible for you to translate "I want to go left" to pushing for example the "A" key with your left hand, but using "hammer bash" by clicking that key does work for you?
    It isn't about that kind of translation. To navigate you have to build a map in your brain.

For example - a fire meteor instant death is coming straight to you, you have to get out of the way. Whilst with my left hand I could easily press LEFT - the problem is I can't reconcile that with the environment, and there fore wouldn't translate get out of the way of the meteor into 'move left'.

Imagine if you never got thirsty, you wouldn't know when to drink - it wouldn't stop you drinking, you just wouldn't be able to work out when you needed to.

So for example, I managed in Skyrim to get into a hut and look around - but it took a pain staking hour of crashing into walls and walking the wrong way as the directions my left hand were doing didn't really correlate to the 'map' in my head.

On the other hand, when I need to hit fireball, or smash - it is just a decision.

It means I play melee classes poorly (yeah - I know GW2 is going to be melee a bit for all classes) because there is some aspect for example in a WoW rogue of correlating back stab with being behind a guy.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2012-08-24 at 02:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't about that kind of translation. To navigate you have to build a map in your brain.

For example - a fire meteor instant death is coming straight to you, you have to get out of the way. Whilst with my left hand I could easily press LEFT - the problem is I can't reconcile that with the environment, and there fore wouldn't translate get out of the way of the meteor into 'move left'.

Imagine if you never got thirsty, you wouldn't know when to drink - it wouldn't stop you drinking, you just wouldn't be able to work out when you needed to.

So for example, I managed in Skyrim to get into a hut and look around - but it took a pain staking hour of crashing into walls and walking the wrong way as the directions my left hand were doing didn't really correlate to the 'map' in my head.
    Ok I think I understand now. I think you'll do just fine in GW2
    In case you haven't looked up a lot about the game, be sure to read the mass info thread.
    Have fun in tyria
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

The mouse/WASD movements work just like WoW. Quick and easy answer = yes, you will be able to manage playing GW2 if you are capable of moving in WoW with just the mouse.

Thanks everyone - I'm in, and moving around with no issues.