Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver 301.42 has stopped working, but recovered?

Hopefully someone can give me some idea as to what is causing this problem while I wait for CyberPower to open for the day.

Yesterday, I opened the WoW launcher and ran to the kitchen, came back and I had a pink screen. First time this has happened - couldn't alt-tab or control-alt-delete so I shut down my computer. Checked all the cables to make sure they were plugged in properly and they were. Booted my computer up, started WoW again and played for a bit. WoW disappears and I get this error - NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver 2xx.xx has stopped working but recovered. Checked to see if my graphics driver needed an updated, and it did to version 301.42. Got that downloaded and installed, rebooted, played WoW some more and it happened again - once with the driver crashing but recovering, played some more and then I got the pink screen again.

I've had this computer for just over a year.
    CPU: Intel core i5-2500k 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache
    HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module
    Motherboard: [CrossFirexX] GigiByte GA-H67M-D2-B3 Intel H67 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x SAtA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe & 2 PCIe X1 [B3 Stepping]
    Power Supply: 750 Watts - Coursair CMPSU-750TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA brand)

Now, before all of this started happening...pretty much ever since I got the computer, whenever Windows would have an update or a driver would update and my computer would restart itself, the BIOS would pop up saying my computer was over heating @ about 206 F. I felt around my computer and I couldn't feel any heat coming off of it. I figured my computer was just being silly or something. I hope I wasn't being naive about a serious problem.

I rolled back my computer last night but I haven't gotten the chance to test it out to see if the problem is solved, but I am assuming it's not. Currently at work right now so if any other information is needed about my computer I'll have to get it in a couple of hours.

I would appreciated any help!

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 02:18 PM ----------

Yikes, lots of views but no replies! Makes me nervous!

Deleted
    Check the temperatures of your hardware in detail using Core Temp / HW-Monitor / BIOS. It's possible something is actually overheating even though it may not first appear to be. It could be a cooling failure or full of dust. Sometimes things doesn't feel so hot because the heat sink is inside a plastic enclosure. It's unlikely that the BIOS would be giving you false temperature readings, it's designed to understand the sensors installed on the motherboard. There could of course be a sensor failure although that's less likely unless there has been some damage already inflicted.

Have you tried rolling back to 296.10?

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Check the temperatures of your hardware in detail using Core Temp / HW-Monitor / BIOS. It's possible something is actually overheating even though it may not first appear to be. It could be a cooling failure or full of dust. Sometimes things doesn't feel so hot because the heat sink is inside a plastic enclosure. It's unlikely that the BIOS would be giving you false temperature readings, it's designed to understand the sensors installed on the motherboard. There could of course be a sensor failure although that's less likely unless there has been some damage already inflicted.
    Thanks for the reply. I've heard of those programs, but I'm not too familiar with them. I assume I just download and run it while playing WoW? I'll get it started once I get off of work and post what I've found. Thanks again!

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Have you tried rolling back to 296.10?
    Yes, I did roll back last night right before bed but I haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet. The pink screen and the failed driver happened once with 296.10 and once with 301.42 so I'm assuming that rolling back isn't going to fix whatever is wrong. I did notice that the night before my computer started having the problem there was a windows update. I'm not sure if that is relevant or not.

I had this problem a lot a while back. It's just the drivers. The only drivers that have worked perfectly without crashes are the beta ones. 304.79.
    Last edited by Dezeria; 2012-08-24 at 03:57 PM.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezeria View Post
    I had this problem a lot a while back. It's just the drivers. The only drivers that have worked perfectly without crashes are the beta ones. 304.79.
    Is it possible to download the beta drivers off the NVIDIA website?

nvidia driver for windows vista, windows 7, windows 8 64 bit OS, version 304.79 (beta).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-wi...ta-driver.html
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-08-24 at 04:10 PM.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezeria View Post
    Is it possible to download the beta drivers off the NVIDIA website?

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 04:11 PM ----------

nvidia driver for windows vista, windows 7, windows 8 64 bit OS, version 304.79 (beta).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-wi...ta-driver.html
    Oh awesome, thanks so much I'll try this when I get home!

Another think to check is the timeout setting in the registry.

There is a setting that tries to detect when the video card has been stalled for and will consider that a crash. I had issues with this awhile back whenever I tried to alt-tab WoW or something similar. The game would pause for a bit, and then the drivers would consider this a long enough pause that something has faulted.

Google 'TdrDelay'

If it's not a heat or failing card issue, then this should help. If it's something else though, the OS will pause for the specified TdrDelay setting is set to and THEN crash the drivers. This could be more annoying if it always has to wait 5-10 seconds to do so :P

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well I updated my BIOS to the most recent release and updated my graphics card to the beta version yesterday. Everything was all find and dandy and today it's crashed twice on me while playing WoW. Once with a yellow screen and a second time with absolutely no screen. I am at a loss.

Happen your graphics card is dying on you then :/

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Happen your graphics card is dying on you then :/
    It's barely a year old Why would it be dying already?
    It's never crashed on me when I am browsing the internet - just when playing WoW

When you are browsing the internet you are not really using the graphics card though

Does it crash if you are playing a game other than WoW?

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    When you are browsing the internet you are not really using the graphics card though

Does it crash if you are playing a game other than WoW?
    I don't really play any other games besides WoW, lol.

I had this happen quite a bit before. I tried many suggestions people on various forums suggested, but in the end, I took my cards out, cleaned the dust out of my PC (there actually wasn't a lot) and then put the PC back together. I only have stock cooling for my PC, so the dust could have been making things run a bit hot. I also use DriverSweeper to make sure that my driver installs are always clean.

This seemed to fix the issue.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I had this happen quite a bit before. I tried many suggestions people on various forums suggested, but in the end, I took my cards out, cleaned the dust out of my PC (there actually wasn't a lot) and then put the PC back together. I only have stock cooling for my PC, so the dust could have been making things run a bit hot. I also use DriverSweeper to make sure that my driver installs are always clean.

This seemed to fix the issue.
    I even have a couple extra fans. But, I'll give this a try. I opened my PC earlier today to see if there was a lot of dust and there wasnt - checked to make sure all the connections were secure. I'll give this a try once I run to the store and get some air.

Deleted
    Sorry in advance for my English, the same thing has happened to me with the same video card and only in WoW ... you're probably playing with DirectX11, playing with DX9 and you'll see that you will not have these crashes more! Do not ask me why but unfortunately I solved this ...

I get this problem if i try to run dx 11. i had to switch to dx9 and it works fine. i5 2500,8gb ddr3, geforce 580gtx.
    Intel Core i5 2500 quad core
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ASUS SABERTOOTH SLI motherboard
    Geforce 580gtx
    Corsiar Force3 120gig SSD (boot drive + WoW install)
    WD 400gb hdd

Ahh the good Ol Nvidia driver issue. I see it a lot at work with Autocad machines. The problem you face is that Windows 7 added a feature that looks for drivers that are idle and if it thinks they are nonresponsive it automatically restarts them. The problem is the service itself is too aggressive. The only way I have worked around the problem is by having the absolute most current driver downloaded from Nvidia's website, not what comes through Windows Update.

Hi buddy, I've read your post last week. And I've tried so many way to fix the crash from my graphic card(nVidia GTX 550 Ti), including some replies in this post.
    My problem is the screen flash approximately every 5 mins while I'm play NFS 17. That's pissing me off.
    I've found a solution to solve this problem, yesterday.
    When I've turn off the EPU function in ASUS - PC Suit(which I found and installed from the User CD that comes with the motherboard Intel H77), and have installed the an old display driver 280.xx from User CD comes with my graphic card, then start the game again. I've played more than 20 mins, the screen didn't flash!
    If you have installed the same software for ASUS mother. Try turn off the EPU function from ASUS - PC Suit's setting.
    When I finish the testing last night was already 1 o'clock in the morning, didn't go for any other version of display driver cause got to work today.
    Let me know if this solution works for your PC.