Poll: Who to level in MoP as my Random BG focused main?

10+ Year Old Account

Question Who to level in MoP as my Random BG focused main?

Ok this turned out kind of long, but half the reason I wrote it was to try to organize my own thoughts anyway. I'm posting it since I figure I might as well since I wrote it, and maybe it will generate some interesting conversation. Or not. I guess we will see.

For various reasons I'm taking a break from WoW right now but I am eagerly looking forward to MoP. I think it's going to be great fun. The trouble is, I am having a really hard time deciding which class to level first. I'm putting this here in the PvP forum because most of what I do is PvP, specifically regular random BG, the little PvE I do is to help me progress in gearing for PvP.

I was not an MMO guy before WOW. I was an RTS guy playing WC3 before I got my invite into Vanilla beta, I did not really think I was going to play WoW because I thought it was going to be more like Diablo 2, my least favorite Blizzard game. Beating up on scripted AI mosters gets boring to me really quickly and the more annoying the AI dance is, the faster I'm disinterested. Playing against other people is what I enjoy.

I love PvP, but I am not a fan of arena. I enjoy the objective based PvP game style much more. I'd love to do more Rated BG but that is difficult because A) on my server it's just about impossible to get into an RBG group without a high arena rating and full conquest gear and B) even if I had a regular RBG group they won't be playing as much BG as I'd usually like to be playing. When I'm subbed I usually get in half a dozen or more Random BG every day at least, closer to a full dozen as often as not.

I also prefer to level one guy at the beginning of an expansion and really focus on him to get him geared up and in a good competitive place. Not until towards the end of an expansion cycle do I start drifting off to other alts.

I know a lot of people say, "Play the class that is fun for you." and I agree with that sentiment, but for me a good portion of 'fun' equals being effective, making a difference between winning and losing games.

I'm looking for some feedback from folks who have played the classes I have at 85 in PvP at 90 regarding how they are performing in BGs.

So here is the quick rundown of the classes I have at 85 and ready to level to 90:

Druid: My first main (lvl 60) and the guy I keep coming back to over and over despite frustrating me. As far as lore goes Druid is number one with me. I have bounced between Balance and Feral because I like the stealthy playstyle (Stealth is my #1 favorite ability hands down) but I also love typhoon, it's one of my top five favorite moves in game. Balance is good when you have a group with you but tough to be effective all alone, but I often feel when I'm playing kitty I'd be better off just playing my Rouge. Now I can have kitty and Typhoon all at once, plus all the cosmetic stuff druids have gotten is pretty sweet.

Rogue: I rolled my Rogue on a whim to kill some time hiding out from the group I had just bailed on. I had finally gotten completely fed up with healing people, but I still wanted to play that day. I just fell in love with the class. Great fun in Random BGs, I feel like I can make a difference often with my Rogue. Shadowstep is my #2 favorite move in the game. I like the idea that I can have Shadowstep and use swords again (combat spec) because for whatever reason I just don't like daggers. However to have shadowstep I have to give up Preperation and all I hear from rogues in the beta is that 'the class is ruined'. Lorewise I'm kinda meh about Rogues.

Paladin:
    My second serious main (lvl 70) Mostly played him as a PvE healer back in the day because my guild (Horde) really needed one. Finally got burned out on healing and played Ret for a bit in BC and decided I kinda hated it. Have picked him up now and then to see the state of Ret, usually after one has handed my ass to me, but it always feels clunky. Too much time waiting for a cooldown to finish to do something. I have heard this has changed with MoP so I'm sort of open to being convinced it's the way to go. Lorewise Pallys are probably my second favorite class as well, but I kind of hate bubble, I feel dirty whenever I use it.

Deathknight:
    I was also in the wrath beta and after leveling my Rogue in the beta and trying it out for a while I decided to test out the DK. I was feeling my Rogue was in a rough place then and the OP (at the time) DK was a nice change. Aesthetically I really like wielding a 2h sword. Death grip is probably my third favorite ability in game and the combination of ranged and melee abilities that are almost all instant cast is really nice. However DK has been my main through Wrath and Cata now and I think I'm ready for a change. I haven't played my DK much in the last several months, mostly I have been playing on my other guys. Plus, I'm just not really stoked on how the talent trees shook out, nothing there makes me really excited to pick my DK back up. DK lore is fun, I like the corrupted Pally flavor.

Hunter: This is my newest guy, never had one at level cap until very recently. I have been goofing around with him somewhat but I don't really like all the kiting. Maybe it's all my time playing melee classes and being kited, but kiting feels like a cheap move to me. I have the same problem playing Balance, running away feels cheap. Relying on it can be a problem in objective PvP too as you can easily get out of position to defend your node. On the other hand being able to attack anyone anywhere near you is a nice change from melee where there is only one place you can attack from. Additionally, I sort of hate having a pet, lol. It's a PITA to keep track of. Honestly Hunter is the least likely of my guys to be chosen but I wrote this part for the sake of completeness. He's mostly a gathering grunt now anyway, odds are he will stay the same.

So… if you were me, knowing what you know from playing the beta, which guy would you choose to main at the start of MoP?
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well due to some crazy circumstances, including moving 4 times in the last few months, I haven't been able to play any of MoP yet. I finally have a house and a net connection now and will be back in the game early in December, but I really won't have time to play more than one guy and that makes this decision even more important.

Since there had been some time for things to shake out, and with the first big patch coming, I thought I'd try my question one more time. Thanks in advance for any advice
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever, But you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun...
    And you see a girl's brown body dancing through the turquoise, And her footprints make you follow where the sky loves the sea.
    And when your fingers find her, she drowns you in her body, Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's such a personal preference. The only time I enjoy PVP is when I'm healing, it's really the only time I feel really effective.

However considering what you posted I would go with Rogues as it sounds like that's the class that you are leaning towards.

For me.....
    Hunters: I find them really fun but I'm with you on the pet thing, I'm the worst huntard.
    Pally: Ret feels clunky to me as well (was my main in Wrath but haven't touched my pally much since, so I'm really out of the loop on them)
    DK: Love mine but personally don't enjoy melee in PVP
    Druid: For me Resto druid is slowly becoming my favourite PVP class
    Rogue: I have little to no experience, I think the highest I ever got was level 40 but it was fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm pretty much leaning heavily towards Druid right now. I do dig the Rogue, but the crying on the Rogue forums from essentially everyone, good and bad, has me doubtful about where they are now and it does not look like much is changing in 5.1.

I like melee, but I'm finding that playing from SEA gives me a lot of lag related positioning issues so a ranged class seems like a good idea right now, and from what I am reading Balance spec is in a pretty good place right now. Plus with the Druid if I want to switch roles it's just a matter of a respec and some gear, not leveling a second guy.

In the order you listed the poll.