Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I have to agree sure any mage can be stabbed in the back, but as far as shear firepower they can call meteorites from the heavens to smash into your gathering army of warriors nothing else has that amount of impact on a battle. (in terms of realistic fantasy) A case can also be made for necros especially in siege type warfare. Disease has been the deciding factor in thousands of battles, whole cities wiped out in weeks. And in a large battle they have a constant resource of fresh corpses. But then a case can be made for all classes that can make poison.

In a 1v1 I would definitely go Mesmer as they have that whole tricksy gonna dominate your mind and make you see shit thing going on.

It really would depend heavily on situation any child with a gun can kill the toughest man on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post
    Without an attitude, it could be seen that they draw from the ambient magics, instead of directly worshipping them.

but you know... keep thinking one and only one way.
    Guardians do not draw power from the Human Gods. Guardians do not wield divine given magic.

Culturally, Charr generally regard no being or entity as divine either.

What you are suggesting isn't supported by anything in the lore. Dwayna and Kormir are beings belonging to the Human pantheon of gods. Some races don't acknowledge the Human Gods as divine, regard them as the "wrong gods" [antiquity] or have their own set of gods/idols.

A Norn might think of a Grenth no more than a Native American thought of Moses, for example. The 6 Human Gods are not sources of power for "everyone" or "the world" in a larger sense anymore than the shiny rock a Grawl found.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-24 at 04:53 PM.

When i think of Guardians i think of: Fire Eles mixed with Warriors + Soraka, Janna and Leona.

Deleted
    Humans are the most powerful. I hear they could outrun a centaur

Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    There are NO "Wizards" in LOTR.

Besides this, I would imagine that fantasy warfare is much like real warfare minus all the magic and unrealistic physics. Be in the wrong spot at the wrong time and die. You fight someone as a Magic user and get stabbed in the back by someone running by.
    There are Five Wizards. Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast, Alatar and Pallando.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyur View Post
    There are Five Wizards. Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast, Alatar and Pallando.
    He was simply stating that "wizard" is only what the men in middle-earth call them. Their proper name is either Istari or something else. They aren't men, they just choose to appear like them.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Who says it's going to be a straight-up fight? Plenty of professions are tricksy.
    Maybe it's just me but when discussing how powerful someone is you're talking more one-on-one. I don't think being stealthy makes someone "powerful", per se. Just a matter of opinion, I suppose.

I think lorewise Mesmers are the most powerful, they have power over mind. Mesmers can make you see things that are not and make you feel things (like pain) when it is all in your head. In the books Mesmers can charm people to fall in love with them and can make copies of themselves all over a stadium and even trick an elder dragon.

On the other hand I think Necromancers could come close to first too, tough choice. But they would have to be a very powerful Necromancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Pretty sure a Charr Guardian would spit on Dwayna and Kormir.
    /agree
    GW2 Wiki is down, but it says that Charr still become guardians despite their lack of any faith due to their prowless (guardins) on the battlefield. So Guardians do not owe anything to any of the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I think lorewise Mesmers are the most powerful, they have power over mind. Mesmers can make you see things that are not and make you feel things (like pain) when it is all in your head. In the books Mesmers can charm people to fall in love with them and can make copies of themselves all over a stadium and even trick an elder dragon.

On the other hand I think Necromancers could come close to first too, tough choice. But they would have to be a very powerful Necromancer.
    True, let's not forget that Palawa Joko is currently in control over all Elona.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    So, I was thinking about that...

Rangers commune with Spirits and are even able to summon them to get help. Spirits will also obey to the ranger's commands. That's... Woah!

Necromancers summon dead crap out of nowhere (did you notice some bias? I didn't), and... I would like some lore explaining behind necros tbh.

Mesmers seem to utilise pure magic to create illusions (?)

Elementalists control the elements at their will.

Guardians use what?

And what about thieves?

If you had to put them in a row of most to least powerful, how would you put them? Why? Lorewise or feeling wise?

Note: This is not intended to be a flame/trollfest of "my prof is better than yours".
    Not to appear biased, but uh. Elementalists > all.

I mean, summoning spirits or dead gnats, or using mental magic is effective (and mental magic might well be more effective when it comes to backroom diplomacy), but for sheer staggering power, how can anything be compared to setting off earthquakes at will, flooding places with tsunamis, starting forest fires and calling twisters down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    Maybe it's just me but when discussing how powerful someone is you're talking more one-on-one. I don't think being stealthy makes someone "powerful", per se. Just a matter of opinion, I suppose.
    Power resides where men believe it resides.

All the power that Elementalist may have is all for naught when there's a Thief stabbing him in the back, cutting him down to size.

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 12:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post

That all depends on whether or not the Mesmer can overpower the will and mind of those they face.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-24 at 05:03 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

If Guild Wars Mesmers were more patterned after... Jace Beleren, I'd be inclined to agree they are the most powerful.

In some way I feel GW1 Mesmers were far beyond the modern GW2 Mesmers. A single Mesmer in GW1 could render a legion of soldiers helpless.

I change my vote to Necromancer, do we know if Mesmers have any kind of power over undead minions? I doubt it but I remember that Necromancer from Ghosts of Ascalon who was long dead and still had that way powerful minion.

Guardians do not draw power from the Human Gods. Guardians do not wield divine given magic.

Culturally, Charr generally regard no being or entity as divine either.

What you are suggesting isn't supported by anything in the lore. Dwayna and Kormir are beings belonging to the Human pantheon of gods. Some races don't acknowledge the Human Gods as divine, regard them as the "wrong gods" [antiquity] or have their own set of gods/idols.

A Norn might think of a Grenth no more than a Native American thought of Moses, for example. The 6 Human Gods are not sources of power for "everyone" or "the world" in a larger sense anymore than the shiny rock a Grawl found.
    and there is nothing in lore to deny the fact of latent energies holding zhaitan together and the power that elementalists pull from thin air isn't left by these dieties.

10+ Year Old Account
    and there is nothing in lore to deny the fact of latent energies holding zhaitan together and the power that elementalists pull from thin air isn't left by these dieties.
    There is, however. The history the gods and the bloodstones, and the simple fact that the jotun wielded magic thousands of years ago, long before the human gods ever came to Tyria, suggest that magic existed on it's own long before the gods came along.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-24 at 05:53 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

If Guild Wars Mesmers were more patterned after... Jace Beleren, I'd be inclined to agree they are the most powerful.

In some way I feel GW1 Mesmers were far beyond the modern GW2 Mesmers. A single Mesmer in GW1 could render a legion of soldiers helpless.
    Mesmers are like second generation. Like Transformers and how Primes were really powerful and could space jump. Our GW2 mesmers are rather weak in comparison. However, lore-wise and such, I'd have to concur that Mesmers have the most potential. Mind control is too OP. See: Dark Archon in SC. Or, you know, anything else.

Um, might wanna check the lore. There is. The bloodstones were not the only source of magic in the world. The Human Gods and humans themselves are no native to Tyria. Yet races had magic in Tyria long before the Human Gods arrived or Abaddon.

Further other races had magic concurrent, opposed to the Human Gods and given from source other than the Human Gods.

The Human Gods are specific to humans. It is said explicitly in the lore and by the developer's themselves.