Spell Pen = PvP Power

" Spell Penetration has been replaced by PvP Power, and Resilience is now PvP Resilience. "

So, if i understand this right, this means all current spell pen in the game will turn into PvP power, and PvP power makes you hit Player characters for more damage. However, even stacking pure PvP power gems right now i am going to assume the amount of Resilience will still make people really hard to kill in BGs until 90? Or do you think people will be able to stack enough for the next month or so to actually be able ot counter-act the PvP Res that people will have on 85 gear?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly sure the lv85 gear is reworked to include PvP Power. Don't take my word for it though,

edit: Checked wowdb, and this is indeed the case. Looking at the hunter cataclysmic legs (lv85) they have 182 pvp resilience (2.3% @lv85), AND 182 pvp power (1.97% at L85).

Looking at the same item on live it currently has 343 resilience (4.33% @ L85). If the same applies to all items (cba to check) it should make it a lot easier to kill someone in a BG, as long as you have gear.

It's late, and I'm tired so I might have made a huge error in my thinking here.. Not sure.
    Last edited by SirreASDF; 2012-08-25 at 12:26 AM.

I think lvl 85 is gonna have a hard time with pvp power... i remember having 60% resil and 20% power on my fury warrior.

I believe the change was also to combat the whole PvE gear in PvP. Right now PvE gear was built like a glass canon, they could wreck even PvP players because their damage was just so much higher that it counteracted the resilience but PvP players could do a decent amount of damage to them thanks to them having no reslience so in short;

PvE gear: High damage - low survivability
    PvP gear: Low damage - high survivability

With the introduction of PvP power, PvP players will now do more damage to each other while possibly having slightly more resilience so they aren't one-shotting each other. But now that PvP players can now have stats that reduce damage AND increase damage on players, bringing in PvE gear for the damage is much less viable.

After update
    PvE gear: High damage - low survivability
    PvP gear: high damage - high survivability

That and it was sort of unfair for casters who had to stack hit and spell pen while melee stacked hit and more anything else.
    Last edited by Demox; 2012-08-25 at 05:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    You're up in arms about something you never had and never knew you were going to have until more recent times, now you're pissed off because it turns out you might not get it, even though nobody ever actually said you were getting it anyway?
    Turns out painting a bunch of circles on the floor is all it takes to totally trivialize an encounter designed by Blizzard's dev team. I guess it must be pretty scary when your best work is broken down and utterly defeated by trigonometry.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can also gem pvp power, to get rid of those pesky blue socket:}.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demox View Post
    That and it was sort of unfair for casters who had to stack hit and spell pen while melee stacked hit and more anything else.
    Yes, because no melee has ever used expertise in pvp? Now I'm not sure about the rating for Spell pen, but most melee (read rogues and warriors at least) use 20 exp (601 rating) in pvp, which I believe to be about equal to the spell pen. In addition casters need 1% less hit in pvp. Melee will still need a lil bit of expertise for pvp most likely though. So if it was the way you said, it's the other way around now. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You can also gem pvp power, to get rid of those pesky blue socket:}.
    Is it worth it over just using red gems boosting your primary stat though? Have someone done some theorycrafting about gemming pvp power versus gemmiing other things yet?
    Last edited by mmocd6cf53cb07; 2012-08-26 at 12:11 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gemming full epic pvp power at lvl 85 (10 gems) will give you around a flat 6% damage increase vs players. (Might be slightly depending on diminishing returns on pvp power..

Looking at my statement earlier btw:
    [quote: SirreASDF]Looking at the same item on live it currently has 343 resilience (4.33% @ L85). If the same applies to all items (cba to check) it should make it a lot easier to kill someone in a BG, as long as you have gear.[/quote]
    I can say that it is wrong, since you have a base pvp resi without gear. My cataclysmic warrior has 61.45% damage reduction and 20.89% damage increase (that is without gems)

Oh and also, I love what they've done with the PvP weapons in MoP. They give a huuuge amount of pvp power (over 2k@lv90) which results in a damage increase over 10%, making PvE weapons rather weak for PvP even though they have higher base-dps. At least I assume that is what it's supposed to do.
    Last edited by SirreASDF; 2012-08-26 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demox View Post
    That's not true at all, all melees but rogues warriors and paladins had to cap Spell penetration through gems and enchants to not fail their spells attacks and more importantly, their CC, while casters only had to buy one of the pieces with Spell penetration to instantly being capped.

And in addition, melees had to also cap hit and a bit of expertise, sacrifying other stats in the process...