Thread: Co-Op play?

Co-Op play?

Ok bit of a newb question, but i've only just started paying any interest to this game, and am tempted to buy it tonight.

I play WoW all the time with my kid, we played Diablo 3 all the way through in Co-op and had a great time doing so. WoW seems to punish you for grouping up and doing quests with people (less xp etc), so does this game aswell?

Really i want to know if i can buy both of us a copy, start together and play through together without being punished for it in some way.

Thanks!

Let me preface this with the fact that I didn't really like GW2 so Im a bit bias.
    That being said it doesn't seem as hard on coop play as wow.
    There are still an exp penalty on kills in a group but the number and frequency of events that don't suffer from it make it hard to notice.

in short no. As a slightly more detailed responce there are no penalties whatsoever for either being grouped or for simpily being ungrouped but helping out in a fight. If you fight a monster with another player both of you get the same XP you would have if solo, both get their own individual roll at the loot table. The only penalty if you could call it that is the targets die faster and its safer for you as you have backup.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    in short no. As a slightly more detailed responce there are no penalties whatsoever for either being grouped or for simpily being ungrouped but helping out in a fight. If you fight a monster with another player both of you get the same XP you would have if solo, both get their own individual roll at the loot table. The only penalty if you could call it that is the targets die faster and its safer for you as you have backup.
    Basicly this. They only encourage playing together with others, they don't punish it like in WOW/SWTOR/RIFT

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trix09 View Post
    Ok bit of a newb question, but i've only just started paying any interest to this game, and am tempted to buy it tonight.

I play WoW all the time with my kid, we played Diablo 3 all the way through in Co-op and had a great time doing so. WoW seems to punish you for grouping up and doing quests with people (less xp etc), so does this game aswell?

Really i want to know if i can buy both of us a copy, start together and play through together without being punished for it in some way.

Thanks!
    Guild Wars 2 promotes COOPERATIVE playing instead of Anti-Social behaviors often seen in other games such as kill stealing, mob tagging, node camping, etc

you and your family will have a blast.. and actually, chances are when your kids do their personal story and have trouble doing it alone if by chance you weren't with them

you're guaranteed to get a "dad, i need help!"

because friends/other people can join you on your personal story events

GW2 is insanely cooperative and helpful and makes you truly feel alive in an actual social MMO!

personally speaking from what you described, you'll love it

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

I think I read somewhere that not only you don't get less xp if grouped but you actually get slightly more than if you were solo...although I am not 100% sure
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Thanks for all of the responses, it sounds very promising I have never understood why WoW doesn't like you grouping up with people to do quests/play together. Surely that's kind of the point!?

Oh well, to buy or not to buy, argh!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all of the responses, it sounds very promising I have never understood why WoW doesn't like you grouping up with people to do quests/play together. Surely that's kind of the point!?
    It probably has something to do with balancing faster XP gains from questing. Theoretically, you should be getting similar amounts of XP while grouping in the same time, since apart from the "collect X" quests, you're doing the quests a lot faster.

Anyway (OT) I really look forward to playing with friends. I really enjoy the combos, because they're basically a nice reward for playing with friends.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account

Oh well, to buy or not to buy, argh!
    imnho you've been deprived of what a real mmo experience is about..

it's not just your family.. even if you were to play by yourself

you would be amazed at what a real, breathing, social mmo world is..

you're fighting a mob, you die to a mob.. someone comes and rezzes you.. WHAT?!

you're in trouble fighting 4 mobs, running away, 2 others swoop in to help you out..

you're with 10 others fighting a gigantic Wasp that suddenly breaks into 10 other tiny wasps only to see other people run over the hill to join the fight..

there's so much more to what an mmo should be that you do not experience with the way wow limits you

imnho, you owe it to yourself to experience what a SOCIAL immersive game a real MMO is all about

it's not a single player game with a built in chatroom..

Quote Originally Posted by kcsaenz View Post
    There are still an exp penalty on kills in a group but the number and frequency of events that don't suffer from it make it hard to notice.
    There is no experience penalty for playing in a group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's an article you should read .. it's ironically tailored for your thread

WashingtonPost's article today: Guild Wars 2: Making MMOs More Social
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...0&denied=1

snippet:
    Not only did designers focus on making Guild Wars 2 in a way that keeps players from stepping on others’ toes, they also built in more opportunities for players to work together.

“The game encourages people to come together,” Turetzky said. “We want people to come in and experience our world.”

In another move to foster a community, designers made the Guild Wars 2 world a persistent one, meaning that 1) it continues changing even when players leave the game and 2) actions players take can alter the in-game world for the whole community. The game isn’t designed to force socialization, but working with other players can seriously change the in-game experience.

For example, if your characters liberate or capture a village from the opposition, it affects the political situation for every other player who may wander through that area.