10+ Year Old Account

So...what now? (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD)

Hello, everyone! Total computer newbie (hoping to learn more!) here with a bit of a snafu.

So, about a week ago I built a pretty rad computer (mostly thanks to the help/build of the Computer Build/Upgrade Help Subforum in this thread here) with the help of a couple friends. Things seemed fine and dandy until recently, where I've had the chance to really started using for normal periods of time (30 min+). I kept getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bluescreens, regardless of what I was doing, between 30 minutes to 1 hour of computer usage.

It turns out that my friends, who "totally knew what they were doing and built computers all the time" had installed the RAM into the wrong slots. I corrected this issue immediately following the MoBo manual, but I've still been getting computer crashes just as frequently.

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic which gave me the generic "you have a problem with your memory, contact manufacturer immediately blah blah blah." I also ran Memtest 86 and decided enough was enough when I hit the 1,000,000 error mark.

So, what should I do now? Is it possible that I've damaged the RAM or (god forbid) the motherboard through using the computer with the RAM improperly installed? Is there any way I can possibly fix the issues by re-formatting my C: drive? Should I start looking into buying different RAM?

Thank you for your time and assistance!
    Last edited by Milanor; 2012-08-24 at 10:40 PM.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was working before, it won't be damaged by using it in the 'wrong' slots.

There is no real 'wrong' slots, some motherboards in some setups prefer to have them in say, slot 1 and 3, or slot 2 and 4. But if it was working it was working (as in, the RAM was installed the correct way in the slot, it may have just not have been in the 'recommended' slot which isn't the end of the world).

Chances are they were just damaged either before you received them, or when they were being installed.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

What speed are you running the RAM? Voltage? Etc. Bunches of things can cause memory-management issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    What speed are you running the RAM? Voltage? Etc. Bunches of things can cause memory-management issues.
    I'm not -entirely- sure what any of these really mean (again, super new to everything computers) but the BIOS has a table set up like this:
    JEDEC ID JEDEC XMP #1
    Frequency (Mhz) 1600 1600
    Voltage (V) 1.500 1.350
    CAS# Latency(tCL) 11 9
    RAS# to CAS#(tRCD) 11 9
    RAS# Precharge(tRP) 11 9
    tRAS 28 24
    tRC 39 40
    tWR 12 12
    tRRD 5 5
    tRFC 128 155
    tWTR 6 6
    tRTP 6 6
    tFAW 24 50
    tCWL 9
    Command Rate 2

Does that help answer your question? It's the same numbers for both sticks.
    Last edited by Milanor; 2012-08-24 at 10:34 PM.

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 1.35v is probably rather little for your RAM... But this assumes you've enabled the XMP profile.
    Generally, if you've set it to XMP, turn it off and see how that fares. The other profile should be more stable. o.o
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-08-24 at 10:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 1.35v is probably rather little for your RAM... But this assumes you've enabled the XMP profile.
    Generally, if you've set it to XMP, turn it off and see how that fares. The other profile should be more stable. o.o
    I just looked this up and tried turning the XMP profile #1 on (it was marked as set to "Auto") and the computer froze while I was trying to copy some files. I forced a restart and got an Asus error message that stated: "The ocerclock failed! Please press F1 to enter setup." I then changed everything back to the default settings and rebooted the computer. I haven't had any problems come up yet, but I'll update after I get back from dinner.

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 04:34 PM ----------

Hrm. Was running a full system scan for any malware and just got a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bluescreen. In addition, my secondary hard drive keeps getting filled with more and more random folders full of letters and numbers.

Hrm...does this pretty much confirm faulty RAM?

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 04:50 PM ----------

Aaaaaaand just got another MEMORY_MANAGEMENT blue screen of death. So much for getting to play GW2 tonight...
    Last edited by Milanor; 2012-08-24 at 11:37 PM.

Memory Management BSODS usually mean that either 1) you have faulty ram (may or may not be the case depends) or 2) your ram settings or overclock settings in your bios aren't stable or set right (too low/high).

It would help if u specify the ram make and model and also the motherboard make and model.

Judging from your table and based on your cpu's IMC the ram should be set to 1600Mhz.

You should also set your ram voltage and timings manually in your bios to what it's rated/recommended to run at (I can tell u what they need to be set to if you give me the ram model/make.)

How many sticks of ram do you have installed?

Have you tried taking out half the ram sticks and test the system for BSOD to try and isolate the "faulty" ram stick(s)?
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-08-25 at 12:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Memory Management BSODS usually mean that either 1) you have faulty ram (may or may not be the case depends) or 2) your ram settings or overclock settings in your bios aren't stable or set right (too low/high).

It would help if u specify the ram make and model and also the motherboard make and model.

Judging from your table and based on your cpu's IMC the ram should be set to 1600Mhz.

You should also set your ram voltage and timings manually in your bios to what it's rated/recommended to run at (I can tell u what they need to be set to if you give me the ram model/make.)

How many sticks of ram do you have installed?

Have you tried taking out half the ram sticks and test the system for BSOD to try and isolate the "faulty" ram stick(s)?
    I have two sticks of RAM installed; here's what I got:

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

I think I can find the Voltage/Timings/Etc for the RAM online and apply those manually to the BIOS, but any help would be appreciated. Right now it's just set to the default "AUTO;" I haven't done any overclocking yet. I'm going to be testing each stick of RAM individually tomorrow when I can get my hands on a good screwdriver, but shouldn't I be looking at new RAM regardless if I want to be running with two sticks?.

Ok so either load the XMP profile or go into your BIOS and manually set it to these timings as listed exactly in the XMP #1 profile you posted. Maybe the motherboard auto set the voltage to 1.5volts on your ram and that could be causing the issue most likely.

CAS Latency 9-9-9-24-2N
    1.35 Volts

Save those settings and then try using your pc and maybe test your ram again.

If you still have BSODs take a ram stick out and test them 1 at the time. It might be that one of the sticks is faulty.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2012-08-25 at 01:36 AM.

I had a similar issue, my ram was not cooperating with the XMP on my board, try setting your RAM to default and making sure XMP is OFF, not AUTO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Ok so either load the XMP profile or go into your BIOS and manually set it to these timings as listed exactly in the XMP #1 profile you posted. Maybe the motherboard auto set the voltage to 1.5volts on your ram and that could be causing the issue most likely.

CAS Latency 9-9-9-24-2N
    1.35 Volts

Save those settings and then try using your pc and maybe test your ram again.

If you still have BSODs take a ram stick out and test them 1 at the time. It might be that one of the sticks is faulty.
    Just tested. Things were going great until I decided to try a quick scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and then...

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

:<

Gonna pop Memtest in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryann View Post
    I had a similar issue, my ram was not cooperating with the XMP on my board, try setting your RAM to default and making sure XMP is OFF, not AUTO.

Edit: But first I'm going to see if I can try that. I don't remember an "off" option, but let's have a look...
    PostEdit: No 'off' option, only "Auto," "XMP #1," and "Manual." Any time I try to run a scan of the system I get either a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or a MEMORY_FAULT BSOD. =\

Thanks to everyone for all of your help so far, by the way. Even if things ultimately don't work out, your time is greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added 2012-08-24 at 07:27 PM ----------

Welp, still getting literally millions of errors on Memtest regardless of BIOS settings. I'll pick up a screwdriver somewhere and test each stick individually tomorrow. Anyone have anything else to possibly pull out of a wizard's hat?
    Last edited by Milanor; 2012-08-25 at 02:28 AM.

You need to make a bootable cd and put memtest.org on it.

Trust me you probably have a bad stick(s) of ram. Errors like that are exactly what I've experienced and I've had 3 bad sticks of memory through my computer years.

Ah, yea, you need to set it to manual then. And make sure your ram is defaulted. My memtest was givin me a million errors also when it was set to 9-9-9-24. Once i reset it back to 9-11-10-28 they had no errors whatsoever. Also, make sure they're running at 1600, not sure about your board i guess, but my xmp likes to shoot my ram up to 2133.

In memtest, it IS saying your latencys are 9-9-9-24 right? just make sure youre set to manual and your ram is defaulted.
    Last edited by Ryann; 2012-08-25 at 03:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryann View Post
    Ah, yea, you need to set it to manual then. And make sure your ram is defaulted. My memtest was givin me a million errors also when it was set to 9-9-9-24. Once i reset it back to 9-11-10-28 they had no errors whatsoever. Also, make sure they're running at 1600, not sure about your board i guess, but my xmp likes to shoot my ram up to 2133.

In memtest, it IS saying your latencys are 9-9-9-24 right? just make sure youre set to manual and your ram is defaulted.
    How do I check most of that stuff? Is it listed in the BIOS somewhere or do I have to download some external program? I did do the rest of those things, though, and it must have done something, since it took memtest a whole extra half a second to start spamming me with a bajillion errors.

Edit: CPU-Z memory tab looks like this:
    DRAM Frequency 800.1 MHz
    FSBRAM 1:6
    CAS# 11.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# 11 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 11 clocks
    Cycle Time 28 clocks
    Command Rate 1T
    Last edited by Milanor; 2012-08-25 at 04:18 AM.

Hello, I made an account just for this topic!

I had a similar issue around 5 months ago. My computer (same Mobo, iirc) would work fine, but randomly within 5 minutes-a few hours I'd get either a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT/PAGEFAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA/IRQL_IS_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. I was running with 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM.

I went back and forth with Ibuypower tech support, they had me try 50 different things ranging from testing the RAM/Changing the RAM voltage/Flashing the BIOS/Checking for fault Video Card Drivers, etc etc etc. Nothing ever worked.

I finally just bought new RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws) and I haven't seen the BSOD since. Spend the $50 and everything will be solved!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MagmyGeraith View Post
    Hello, I made an account just for this topic!

I had a similar issue around 5 months ago. My computer (same Mobo, iirc) would work fine, but randomly within 5 minutes-a few hours I'd get either a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT/PAGEFAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA/IRQL_IS_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD. I was running with 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM.

I went back and forth with Ibuypower tech support, they had me try 50 different things ranging from testing the RAM/Changing the RAM voltage/Flashing the BIOS/Checking for fault Video Card Drivers, etc etc etc. Nothing ever worked.

I finally just bought new RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws) and I haven't seen the BSOD since. Spend the $50 and everything will be solved!
    Haha, that's actually just the RAM I was looking at on NewEgg. Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Milanor View Post
    Haha, that's actually just the RAM I was looking at on NewEgg. Thanks for the post!
    I actually run 16GB of Vengeance RAM in my desktop, and at 1600mhz with an overclock on the CPU I was getting frequent memory management BSOD. The CPU board can handle the OC, had to drop down to 4.4 or really mess with the RAM. The Ripjaws are likely better quality as far as OC goes, I've heard a lot of bad things about Vengeance lately. Likely swapping them out just in case.

Funny because my ram that gives me the same trouble is GSkill Ripjawz, and I was lookin at getting some Corsair Dominator ram lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Just ran some tests today after I got my hands on a screwdriver and determined that the problem was with one of the sticks of RAM (and not any of the MoBo slots, thank goodness). Got some more RAM coming in the post in three or so days, but for now I can run things with just one stick (not a single error on memtest, whooo!)

Thanks again to everyone who posted for all of the help!

<3