Buying Windows 7

It turns out the free academic version of Windows 7 I was counting on is 32-bit.

That leaves me with 2 questions:
    1) Is this the right version to buy as a replacement? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    2) Is it OK to use the 32-bit version for a few days until I get the 64-bit version? I know it will be a clean install that will wipe everything I load. I just don't want to miss the Guild Wars 2 early start. I also know performance will be diminished because it's only using 3.5 of my installed 8 GB RAM, but my concern is will I harm the RAM or create problems for the SSD by doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by hungrybat View Post
    It turns out the free academic version of Windows 7 I was counting on is 32-bit.
    You will need to do a full reinstall from scratch to move from 32 to 64 bit either way.

My suggestion - get a week or two of GW2 under your belt, then start again from scratch

That leaves me with 2 questions:
    1) Is this the right version to buy as a replacement? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    2) Is it OK to use the 32-bit version for a few days until I get the 64-bit version? I know it will be a clean install that will wipe everything I load. I just don't want to miss the Guild Wars 2 early start. I also know performance will be diminished because it's only using 3.5 of my installed 8 GB RAM, but my concern is will I harm the RAM or create problems for the SSD by doing this?

Sorry, I didn't follow the link to check but someone will! 32bit Windows will do no harm to your computer. Install and play away. The good thing about a lot of games is they don't integrate too heavily with Windows and if you backed it up to a data drive you could install the new 64 bit when it arrives and be back on Guild Wars in an hour :-)

The key for a 32 bit copy works fine for a 64 bit copy.

Hmm, well I have the valid key, I just don't have the 64-bit disc. Is there anywhere to download a safe and legit version of Win 7 Pro 64-bit and just apply my key?

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    The key for a 32 bit copy works fine for a 64 bit copy.
    Oh and this, I completely forgot about this.

Hmm, well I have the valid key, I just don't have the 64-bit disc. Is there anywhere to download a safe and legit version of Win 7 Pro 64-bit and just apply my key?
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/
    Last edited by chaud; 2012-08-24 at 11:51 PM.

Yea, this works really well. You can either burn it to a DVD or use a USB thumbstick (with some preparation), as long as the thumbstick has more than 4GB space (you will lose anything else on it due to formatting).

Thanks, Chaud. I'm downloading it right now.

May I ask which version that links to? Their page for Win 7 Pro 64 lists a different number: X17-24281.iso. I ask because the key I have is for the Pro version, so I'm not sure if it'll work for Home Premium, plus I'd like to get the Pro in any case .

The latest version of Windows 7 DVD image available is of media refresh version, which commonly known as Windows 7 SP1-U (Media Refresh). Microsoft released the media refresh version of Windows 7 DVD media to fix a rare bug related to invalid computer name when small set of computer names returned error when used to install Windows 7. Otherwise, the Windows 7 with SP1 and Windows 7 with SP1-U (Media Refresh) is completely the same.
    Almost the same.