Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Should I get Guild Wars 2?

    First off, I am sorry if this is a repetitive thread, since I am sure this has been asked many a time on this board.

    Now to the meat of the question:

    I never played the original Guild Wars, so I am not really familiar about the story (I know there's dragons involved somehow).

    I am considering getting Guild Wars 2, but I am not sure at the moment. I only really started looking into the game a few days ago when a pcgamer article caught my eye, and then I started looking at the website. I like the look of the combat and the races, and I think I would play one of the northern people (Norn?). The world itself looks amazing and it is pretty clear they put a lot of love into it. The classes and combat also look really cool. I am just still on the fence about it, just like Mists of Pandaria.

    Any thoughts about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

  2. #2
    If you're questioning getting MoP, then yes, definitely get it.

    No sub fees either, so it's a great buy.

    Take a look at the READ ME sticky for more info on the game.
    Last edited by Spriggan; 2012-08-25 at 12:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    Well from what I was told the story of Guild wars 2 takes place long after the events of GW1 so you should have no problem figuring out what the story is.

    I think you answered your own question really, you said you like the combat, races and how the game looks

    For me, I know a game is good when it starts to grow on me. When I first started playing WoW I found it really weird and I seemed to kind of get annoyed with it for a while... and then it started to make want to play it even more because every time I started playing it I found something new about the game and learned that it was so different from any other game that I had played. And then I was hooked on it like a crack addict for the next 7 years. I got the exact same feeling when I started playing the beta and stress tests for Guild Wars 2

    Honestly, I say buy it because reading up on it and watching videos really doe snot do it justice. The game really is different than any other MMO out there right now. It does not try to be some sort of WoW clone with a bunch of gimmicks slapped onto it that get tedious and boring after a few days like all of the other MMO's out there nowadays.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  4. #4
    Get on board now so ur not left behind

    No but really...check out the mass info sticky..it will detail more info and you can make a better judgement based of more facts about the game.
    Personally, it's the game I've been waiting for.
    I'm going to cry like a little baby when Logan and Rytlock reconcile and have a glorious man-hug

  5. #5
    I will make this simple Are you a PVP or PVE player ?

    PVP = guild wars 2
    PVE = Tera is currently available for 15$ until Aug 28 (omg GW2 fan gonna hate me)
    Last edited by hotshot25120; 2012-08-25 at 12:28 AM.

  6. #6
    No offence, but this is a bad place to ask. Everyone here loves GW2, I would personally wait for a review from a gaming site like PCgamer and so on. They will tell you all the pros and cons you really need to know.

  7. #7
    1)No indoor raids = Scaleable World bosses-mobs (scale how many ppl attack them)
    2)8 x 5-man dungeons (3 paths each - vote with ur teamm8s wich path to get-different boss in the end )
    3)No quest with a question mark on their head = dynamic events (events happening nearby often ) or the heart events who look like quests . If u love to explore in a game = u will love it , if u hate the lack of direction or ur frustrated where to go in most games = u will hate it .
    4) No world open pvp = u have to join WvWvW(600v600v600 castlefights) - u can do dynamic events-kill players in there , getting exp without touching the <<normal world>>. Be there 24/7
    5) No mounts (not ground mounds for now-u can use waypoints (teleporters )) - no addon-macro support-no LFD(there is not trinity-grap 4 random ppl and the istance in almost next to a waypoint)
    6) 30 minigames
    7) U can join normal bgs-arenas (bumb to 80-unlock all talent points+have free 80 lvl gear)
    8) Jumping puzzles

    If i where u i should w8 20 days and come again to check <<Fencer>> evaluation
    Last edited by Plzbegentle; 2012-08-25 at 12:55 AM.
    GW2 : Plzbegentle - Ruins of Surmia EU - Sylvari Engineer
    WoW: Vergin - Deathwing EU - Elf Resto Druid (27/05/05 - 02/04/12 Perma-Banned- Unhappy whinning PvP customer - whos begged from 4.1 to get rid of the RNG of Regrowth ... )
    It seems ppl have the energy to whine for a game , for not beeing exactly like their <<main>> game , while it dont have a SUB , and they dont have the courage to whine at their Game Master for slacking and producing few PvE content ...

  8. #8
    It is an MMO the game is second to the people you interact with.

    If you are alone you will miss so much but if you are not even a bad game will be fun.

  9. #9
    Mechagnome Fitzgerald77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    Get Mop Gw2 has no endgame whatsoever you won't regret it in the long run.
    Wow, you could not have been more wrong.... EVER. Another person that has not researched the game and done their homework before posting stupid comments such as this.

    And how exactly would he regret buying it as opposed to buying an expansion where you pay $15 a month to only have a limited amount of content released every 5 months?...
    Last edited by Fitzgerald77; 2012-08-25 at 12:39 AM.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Warpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York City, Brooklyn
    Posts
    446
    I'm playing GW2 and WoW since no sub fee is required from GW2.
    Last edited by Warpaladin; 2012-08-25 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"

  11. #11
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    437
    Noone can give you an answer.

    Google. Use it, and form your own opinion on the game.
    Last edited by Lucette; 2012-08-25 at 12:46 AM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    Get Mop Gw2 has no endgame whatsoever you won't regret it in the long run.
    You should do some research before you post misinformation.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    3)No quest with a question mark on their head
    Waaahhh? That's not true :P

    | Warrior Moderator | Protection Warrior Weakaura Group |

  14. #14
    I'm neutral to this, I like both Guild Wars 2 and WoW...

    my opinion... you need to "forget" everything you know about MMO to really test this game out. I bought GW1 to play with friends but I got bored so soon because I played WoW next to it. It is pretty hard to not compare WoW with GW2, but that is exactly what you got to do.

    This game caught me with their exploring, puzzles and events rather then quests. The first BWE I was thrilled and stunned by the beauty, but also blown away by the different things I saw. No more questing and a forever changing world ( I still have to experience this world changing tough ) On the 2nd BWE, I only played 1 day and I got quite bored of it already. I didn't even play stress-tests and other BWE simply because I started to get bored doing everything over and over. I am a achiever, I want to clear everything out and grow attached to my character, but this was impossible in BWE's because they would get reset all the time.

    Now... I am awake and it's starting in 6 hours and I should get some sleep. I am looking forward into jumping in this game and be able to kite as a Warrior. I will explore everything in this game, wether it takes me 1 month or a year. Probably then I will rush through the content with my alts, get faster in leveling everytime and focus on PVP.

    So, I'm having mixed feelings about this...
    Peace

  15. #15
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sioux Fall, SD
    Posts
    34
    Id say if you have a regular income and time to play get it. 60$ for an amazing game that has been in the process of creation for so many years and has some great features, thats a no brainer right there. The worst that can happen is you have a bit of fun and play it for a month like most xbox games and then never again, but get your moneys worth. So yeah go for it before its too late.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedsterz View Post
    No offence, but this is a bad place to ask. Everyone here loves GW2, I would personally wait for a review from a gaming site like PCgamer and so on. They will tell you all the pros and cons you really need to know.
    Actually some of us here are not big fans of the GW2 philosophy at all (e.g., no meaningful progression, PVE zergfests with no competetion, nothing in PVE is challenging in the least, annoying cash shop, nobody traveling around the world due to the fast travel system, WvWvW with pay2win aspects to it, eSport PVP where you feel a complete detachment to your character, etc). In fact, I bash this game quite regularly, especially over the uber-pathetic cash shop.

    But the fact is, of course you should get it. For example, I rejoined Rift recently just to do some PVPing and they have basically thrown in the towel and are in a desperate race to be just like GW2. Adding in a half-assed 3 faction PVP instance and now they are experimenting with eSportifying their battlegrounds. The reality is why play a game desperately mimicking another game, might as well just play the real thing. Or you could play some other ancient MMO out their but yawn...

    I will therefore most likely be buying GW2 myself despite my displeasure at it, although I will not spend one dime on their cash shop because cash shops in MMOs are mega fail. I would have preferred a subscription but what is an MMOer to do? Stick with ancient MMOS? Try an epic fail MMO? Go to an MMO desperately trying to be just like GW2?

    No, GW2 is the only answer in the MMO world at least for the next 3 months or so...

  17. #17
    How the hell do I know what you should do?

  18. #18
    Field Marshal Ruie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    88
    Why should we sit here and type out full explanations just for you? Do you know how tiring that is? It's tiring just reading other people do it. I am not trying to be mean, but you honestly just need to figure out if you want to play the game on your own. I already bought Guild Wars 2 and I will be playing it tonight! I also already bought Mists of Pandaria which I definitely will be playing once it comes out. One of the great features about Guild Wars 2 is that you do not have to worry about a monthly fee which enables you to play another game if you wanted to. There is no gear treadmill like there is in World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 is just about straight having fun or aesthetics. I just don't feel like explaining everything in detail since there are plenty of videos you could be listening to, researching forums, etc.

    Before someone says I am too into Guild Wars 2: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Ruie/advanced
    I will be raiding hardcore with my 25M Guild AND playing Guild Wars 2 at the same time.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    ...
    Pay to win items ?
    Where are they ?
    Seriously man , do some research ,,,

    greek: Re malaka Tamashi , min arxizeis tis idies pipes ....
    (damm moron Tamashi , dont start the same bullsh@@)
    Last edited by Plzbegentle; 2012-08-25 at 01:11 AM.
    GW2 : Plzbegentle - Ruins of Surmia EU - Sylvari Engineer
    WoW: Vergin - Deathwing EU - Elf Resto Druid (27/05/05 - 02/04/12 Perma-Banned- Unhappy whinning PvP customer - whos begged from 4.1 to get rid of the RNG of Regrowth ... )
    It seems ppl have the energy to whine for a game , for not beeing exactly like their <<main>> game , while it dont have a SUB , and they dont have the courage to whine at their Game Master for slacking and producing few PvE content ...

  20. #20
    Thanks for the fast replies

    I have been reading through the sticky with all the information regarding the game. The game world looks really evolving and responsive to player actions and the world looks great. I am on the fence mostly because of price, because I want to build a new computer (Mine can handle it, but I want to make a decent gaming computer). One more question though: Is the combat responsive? By that, does a ability go when you actually hit the button instead of being held back by some sort of deliberate imput lag (the one thing that I cannot stand about any game, imput lag. I like responsiveness, whether it being the using of abilities, scrolling around the map etc), and is the combat satisfying in the viseral, "I am actually damaging it and it shows", sort of way?
    Last edited by Bloogonis; 2012-08-25 at 01:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvt Huson View Post
    I want to make an 80ft golden dong and get terrorised by fisher price shoggoths
    “You heard the man,” Jaime said to Ilyn Payne. “Find a nice long spear, and shove it up his arse.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •