Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Holy Paladin 5.0.4 Guide

A Holy Paladin Preview of 5.0.4

Greetings fellow Holy Paladins. Come patch day the majority of you will experience a new light of Holy Paladins and they will play slightly different from what you are used to. This is a recap of the changes that you will face on patch day and it will serve as a summary. I will not be including anything with level 86-90, this purely is about 85 and patch day expectancies. More in-depth posts about the following can be found across the web and you'll be certain to see guides on MMO-Champion in the dedicated section.

So what major things have changed:

- The Talent System has been completely re-hauled and each spec has received many appropriated spells and abilities (discussed below).

- All Paladins have had auras removed.

- You can now have up to 5 Holy Power, the Holy Power bar has also been changed to accommodate this change (Boundless Conviction).

- Maximum mana will now be capped at the same amount as other casters 100k at 85 (at 90 this will be 300k). There are very few exceptions of increasing a caster's maximum mana ie. Meta Gem with increased mana by 2%. All spells will still be cast at percentages based on your base mana.

- Intellect will no longer provide mana. It will be the best stat for throughput and will also provide a little crit.

- Spirit will be our best regen and most sought after secondary stat. Be prepared to stack this.

- Judgements of the Pure has been removed. This means that you no longer need to cast Judgement (unless you use talents which involve it).

Talent System:

As you may be already aware, there will be 6 talents in total, earning a new talent every 15 levels. This re-cap will mention 5 of these talents (the 6th tier is un-locked at 90)

You may choose 1 of the following talents per tier, you can always change your mind by purchasing a regent to remove your choice:

Tier 1 (lvl 15) - Choice of Movement you want:

Largely will depend on encounter. I have tried all three and they all have merit, I think Long Arm of the Law and Pursuit of Justice are the most favourable, but it does depend on your playstyle too.

Tier 2 (lvl 30) – Your Control of your opponent/enemy:

Once again depending on your playstyle. I always like Repentance so I always take it as a very good CC ability.

Tier 3 (lvl 45) – Choice of Healing:

Here's a tough choice! This can be changed depending on boss but also it is to suit you. Selfless Healer requires you to use 3 Judgements to get an instant free cast Flash of Light. I think this is the weakest choice for us. Eternal Flame replaces Word of Glory and heals the same instantly with a small, yet valuable, HoT, the downside is this HoT will be replaced if you cast it again on the same target. Sacred Shield is great to just click and forget about for 30 seconds, it provides a very big absorb and did I mention it's free?

Tier 4 (lvl 60) – Choice of Utility:

Hard to tell here and very situational. Hands of Purity will help on any boss with dots dramatically reducing the damage. Unbreakable Spirit can bring our Lay on Hands down several minutes to help us get more mana back (glyphed) and an extremely great heal, also of course allows shields to come right down in time too. Clemency could be godly allowing two Hands to be cast.

Tier 5 (lvl 75) – Choice of Throughput:

Another though choice! Divine Purpose is RNG but procs often granting many free heals. Holy Avenger allows extra healing and instant Light of Dawn or Word of Glory over the duration which has immense advantages with a short cooldown. Sanctified Wrath could be good for faster generation of Holy Power whilst pumping out Holy Shocks more often. I do think currently: Holy Avenger or Divine Purpose will be the most selected.

Abilities:

Several abilities will have changed icons. Along with gaining new abilities from the above talent tiers, Holy Paladins also experience the following changes:

New/Changed Spells:

Holy Radiance - no longer provides a HoT.

Cleanse - has an 8 second cooldown but will not be incurred if you do not actually dispel anything, it will cost you your mana though.

Denounce (New)- is a single target damage dealing spell which will serve mostly useful for leveling.

Beacon of Light - no longer has a timer associated with it and will stay on the target until removed by the Paladin or the player dies. It has a 100 yard radius and transfers 15% of the healing from Light of Dawn and Holy Radiance.

Seal of Insight - increases your casting speed by 10%, as well as improving the healing done by 5%, and granting a chance of 4% base mana per melee attack.

Blessing of Kings - no longer provides 5% Stamina and extra magicial resistance.

Blessing of Might - now grants mastery instead of increased mana regen and attack power.

Devotion Aura (New) - is a defensive raid cooldown. Which overs 20% magic damage reduction, also immunity to silence and movement interrupt effects. It is a mix between Aura Mastery (Holy) and Divine Guardian (Prot).

Guardian of Ancient Kings – re-designed, still with 5 minute cooldown. Whilst healing the target of your heal for the full amount it also heals nearby friendly targets for 10% of the amount healed. While the Guardian is active, you gain a stacking buff that increases your haste by 10% per stack (maximum 5 stacks) per single heal used (example: casting Holy Light will give you 10% haste, casting another gives you 20%). The Guardian disappears once 5 single heals are cast or when 30 seconds elapse.

Light of Dawn – No longer has a frontal requirement and heals up to 6 friendly players within 30 yards of the Paladin.

Passives (New/Changed):

Many of the below are marked as (New) due to they are now a passive spell instead of a talent.

Holy Insight (New) - Increases the effectiveness of your healing by 25% and your mana pool by 400%. Increases your chance to hit with Holy Shock, Judgement, and Denounce by 15%. Finally it allows 50% of your mana regeneration from Spirit to continue while in combat.

Boundless Conviction (New) - Passive ability granted to all Paladins. It increases Holy Power capacity to 5 (from 3). Abilities that cost Holy Power can still only consume a maximum of 3 Holy Power.

Heart of the Crusader (New) - Basically Crusader Aura but now passive, granting 20% mount speed.

Sacred Cleansing (New) – This used to be a talent, but now a passive that allows you to dispel magic.

Tower of Radiance (New) – This used to be a talent; Healing the person with Beacon of Light on them with Divine Light or Flash of Light will give you 1 Holy Power.

Supplication (New) – After killing an enemy which can grant experience or honour, for 8 seconds your next Flash of Light will be critical.

Sanctity of Battle (New) – Melee haste effects lower the cooldown of: Judgement, Crusader Strike and Hammer of Wrath.

Infusion of Light (New) - Is now a passive instead of a talent. It no longer makes your Holy Shock stronger. Your Holy Shock criticals now reduce the cast time of your next Holy Light, Divine Light or Holy Radiance by 1.5 seconds. It no longer reduces Flash of Light.

Daybreak – Passive that has been redesigned. After casting Holy Radiance, the next Holy Shock will also heal all players within 10 yards of the target, for the same amount as the original heal, divided amongst all targets. Basically a follow-up aoe heal.

Removed Spells:

Consecration, Holy Wrath and Inquisition are removed from Holy. Auras & Aura Mastery have been removed from the game.

Spell Usage:

Below are some personal tips for your spells:

- Seal of Insight still allows us to regen mana, so being in melee range remains ideal, however, this will not always be possible.

- Holy Shock should still be used on cooldown to generate Holy Power and becomes usable in AoE healing situations thanks to Daybreak.

- Avenging Wrath is still very powerful and is best suited for AoE situations where costly heals are made better with more powerful versions of themselves.

- Guardian of Ancient Kings allows us to stack haste up to 50% whilst active, if we use 5 single target spells instantly the Guardian will disappear and not last the 30 seconds limit. We must be smart with this power due to the 50% will stay for a few seconds after the Guardian has disappeared. This means if we play it clever enough we can weave our spells so we can remain in high haste for the full duration of the Guardian, so be careful when you cast a single target spell. You could potentially have 40% increased healing for near the full duration if you are aoe healing, be smart with your choices!

- With Holy Power being maxed out at 5 you can be extra ready for tough situations. If you pool all 5 Holy Power you can spend it on your next Light of Dawn or Word of Glory, and with a cast of Holy Shock be right back in with another Light of Dawn or Word of Glory. Be smart!

- The new Devotion Aura will allow 20% magical reduction for 6 seconds, co-ordinate this with other healers, it could save you an extra cast or two of mana.

- Holy Radiance will be quite expensive and should only be used when needed. Thankfully with Beacon of Light 15% of the heals are transferred to the Beacon (most likely a tank).

-Divine Light is expensive, you must adapt to the mantra of using the correct heal to fit the situation, it is paramount for your mana's success in lasting. Holy Light will be the most used spell along with Holy Shock as these are relatively cheap, in rare situations Flash of Light will be used (unless specced).

- Forget relying on Crusader Strike, the mana cost is too expensive and would be rarely used, if ever anymore.

- Don't neglect your Hand spells for utility! Also Divine Favor, it is still an awesome cooldown granting 20% spell crit and haste!

- Lay on Hands can be used with a glyph for 10% mana return, possibly even twice during the course of a fight, use it instead of wasting several heals to heal the target. Treat yourself.

- Remember your gameplay and strategies will vary due to the talents you pick. Many talents are situational, so be prepared to be changing at least 1 of them every fight.

Stat Guidelines:

Spirit > Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit

Spirit will provide us with the best possible regen, whilst intellect will increase our spellpower and slightly raise crit. The absorb shield from Mastery makes Mastery extremely good early on in the expansion and in this patch. Haste is very close to Mastery however, and should not be neglected. Crit will not be as valuable but never hurts to have some.

I personally recommend on live to get some additional spirit as there may be possible mana issues (not too sure with the DS debuff), but get used to doing it for MoP, perhaps even have some gems with spirit added (purified).

Please note that many glyphs will be changing along with the addition of new glyphs and the removal of Prime Glyphs. This concludes the summary of changes for the Holy Paladin for Patch 5.0.4.
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-08-27 at 08:47 AM.

Very cool, thank you!
    Shuttle of Illidan

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post

Guardian of Ancient Kings – re-designed still with 5 minute cooldown. Now heals the target of your heal for 10% of the amount healed and also heals nearby friendly targets for 10% of the amount healed. While the Guardian is active, you gain a stacking buff that increases your haste by 10% per stack (maximum 5 stacks).
    am I inferring this incorrectly by assuming that 10% of heal on Target mentioned is in addition to the heal that they would get.. in effect its a 10% improvement on heals that they would get ?

So should we reforge everything into Mastery?

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeperx View Post
    On Live? Probably not worth the effort.
    In MoP? Yes, unless you can reforge into Spirit instead.

Did you factor in the 10% spell haste with insight being multiplicative with the raid buff unlike the other guide? In relation to HPS Gain because it is highly likely that a balance of Haste/Mastery as your HPS/HPM stats will be better than just pure Mastery. (Spirit is given to be the high priority stat)

In the other guide thread you posted a theorycraft thread that was done in April on the Beta as justification of mastery being better.
    Last edited by FiveDkp; 2012-08-27 at 08:17 AM.
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/onlyjoshintv
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2...7AE0NG5sjbjYPw

Content centres around Lost Ark currently

Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    Removed Spells:

Consecration, Holy Wrath and Inquisition are removed from Holy. Auras & Aura Mastery have been removed from the game.
    Wanted to mention that Aura Mastery isn't technically removed. Just reworked with part of it's abilities combined into the new Devotion Aura

Quote Originally Posted by wlodziemier View Post
    am I inferring this incorrectly by assuming that 10% of heal on Target mentioned is in addition to the heal that they would get.. in effect its a 10% improvement on heals that they would get ?
    The tooltip quote is slightly wrong. Here is the correct one that is on beta Guardian of Ancient Kings

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Summons a Guardian of Ancient Kings to help you heal for 30 sec.

The Guardian of Ancient Kings will heal the target of your next 5 single-target heals, and nearby friendly targets for 10% of the amount healed. Every time the Guardian heals, it increases your haste by 10%.
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2012-08-27 at 08:18 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wlodziemier View Post
    Sorry typo on that I'll fix it Basically I was writing down what would happen to the other members whilst writing something else lol two thoughts at once, it happens ^^

Lucetia: It is removed as a spell but you are correct there is a new version of two/three combined spells, this is named above:

"Devotion Aura (New) - is a defensive raid cooldown. Which overs 20% magic damage reduction, also immunity to silence and movement interrupt effects. It is a mix between Aura Mastery (Holy) and Divine Guardian (Prot)."

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeperx View Post
    On live it might not be worth it, but defo for MoP. Haste is also valuable so don't dis-regard it, but Mastery will be our top stat. I would encourage adding extra spirit for live.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 09:46 AM ----------

Note: I've re-worded and made my Guardian of Kings description better, sorry about that.
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-08-27 at 08:42 AM.

Great guide but still a lot of questions for me, mostly concerning glyphs.

I've played around with some and have picked out some favorites like http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=63218 for HSpine. And I know based on my play style and my absolute "I must save everyone and trust no one!" mentality I won't be taking http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=63223 However, I'm really interested to see which majors most players will choose.
    Last edited by Ceresc; 2012-08-27 at 12:46 PM.

Stood in the Fire ImEveryCliche's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for this post. Nice to see a clear and concise list of changes affecting Holy. Props OP

Update on the haste issue. I've done the increase to HPS equations again including the 10% that seal of insight gives you from having it as a seal.

Haste still reigns supreme on HPS by 0.08% on the person's values.

To do the comparison, I will use my toon's stats. She is at 14.4% haste, 15.35% crit, 9000 spellpower, and 13.3*0.015 = 0.1995 = 19.95% mastery. The relative weights would then be:

100 Mastery Rating: 0.00837 / (1+0.1995) = 0.00698, about 0.7% relative healing increase.
    100 Crit Rating: 0.005568 / (1+0.1535) = 0.0048, about 0.48% relative healing increase.
    100 Haste Rating: 0.0078 / (1+0.144) = 0.0068, about 0.68% relative hps increase.
    100 Spellpower: 100 / (10180 + 9000) = 0.0052, about 0.52% relative healing increase
    We will use this as a reference (THIS THEORYCRAFT WAS DONE IN APRIL.)

For the haste number - for 1% haste you need 128 rating. (at level 85)

100 haste will give you (1.05 (raid buff) x 1.10(from seal of insight)(0.78125)) - 0.90234375 from 100 Haste Raiding fully raid buffed.

Using his formula (converting to percentage) 0.0090234375 / (1+0.144) = 0.7887620192307692 healing increase

Haste is better than mastery by 0.08% using this guy's gear.

Haste is better for HPS still for him at 85. I will debate the point that we may need more HPM as spirit might not be enough but to state that Mastery is better at HPS than Haste was mainly because of bad maths by the theorycrafter who ignored raid buffs and the 10% haste off seal of insight.

At 90, It is still a similar story

Mastery 600 - to get 1% haste rating resulting in 1.5% more shields.
    Haste 425 - to get 1% haste rating

100 haste with raid buffs gives 0.27176447058823529% of haste.

100 Mastery gives 0.25% more shields.

0.0027176447058823529 / 1+(0.144) = 0.23755635540929% increase in healing

0.0025 / 1+(0.1995) = 0.20842017507295% increase in healing

As i stated before, there must be a ratio where mastery would be better than haste and/or haste would be better than mastery. In this case haste is better to use at the moment from a pure HPS standpoint.
    Last edited by FiveDkp; 2012-08-27 at 04:12 PM.
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/onlyjoshintv
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2...7AE0NG5sjbjYPw

Content centres around Lost Ark currently

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the numbers and thank you guys for your thank yous with regards to haste you must also factor in faster spending on mana, where mana is a huge issue at the moment, you can stack haste but you can't do much when oom. On the otherhand mastery will provide the shields to help you conserve mana. Both stats are great but mastery will be our prime stat put of the two until perhaps better gear.

I don't think this was mentioned, but something to watch out for. We no longer have anything like the Protector of the Innocent talent, meaning you won't be getting passive heals all the time. You may actually have to heal yourself occasionally .

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    I don't think this was mentioned, but something to watch out for. We no longer have anything like the Protector of the Innocent talent, meaning you won't be getting passive heals all the time. You may actually have to heal yourself occasionally .
    True but you will have the glyph, but it's not all that good currently, but it's an option.

Deleted
    Nice guide, thank you.
    Corrected some information in mine.

This guide fails to mention there is a nerf to instant cast heals and Holy Power generation:

Infusion of Light no longer grants instant Flash of Light (and fewer Flash of Lights for Beacon means less Holy Power)

Daybreak no longer grants a free Holy Shock (which also means less Holy Power)

Glyph of Blessed Life returns 1 Holy Power every 20 seconds (%50 chance on cc) vs Blessed Life/Pursuit of Justice which returned 1 Holy Power every 8 seconds (%100 chance on hit or cc).

Eternal Glory is gone (30% chance not to consume Holy Power for Word of Glory) replaced by Divine Purpose (20% chance not to consume Holy Power for any spell)

My problem with this is pvp. Where did the fun go?

Is conviction removed? Havent seen anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything that ended up providing passive bonuses like that is gone. We're balanced around not having that anymore.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swineflu View Post
    This guide fails to mention there is a nerf to instant cast heals and Holy Power generation:

Infusion of Light no longer grants instant Flash of Light (and fewer Flash of Lights for Beacon means less Holy Power)

Daybreak no longer grants a free Holy Shock (which also means less Holy Power)

Glyph of Blessed Life returns 1 Holy Power every 20 seconds (%50 chance on cc) vs Blessed Life/Pursuit of Justice which returned 1 Holy Power every 8 seconds (%100 chance on hit or cc).

Eternal Glory is gone (30% chance not to consume Holy Power for Word of Glory) replaced by Divine Purpose (20% chance not to consume Holy Power for any spell)

My problem with this is pvp. Where did the fun go?
    As Kerfax said we're balanced around not having these, these were talents and well as you know that system has changed.
    Picking at your points: Infusion of Light change was mentioned exactly as it should be. Daybreak was worded as 're-designed', meaning it's changed. The other two were passives, and are gone with the old talent system. So yes it was all included.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Piitz View Post
    Is conviction removed? Havent seen anything about it.
    As also mentioned, this was a part of the old talent system and is removed.

Please remember people out with the old and in with the new, how it works. Things have been removed from talents and put as new spells in our passive spellbook, re-designed or gone completely. I did not mention these changes as there would be far too many spread across all 3 of my guides.

Spirit > Intellect > Mastery > Haste > Crit
    Basically, you're saying we should gem full spirit?