Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Ret Paladin 5.0.4 Guide

A Ret Paladin Preview of 5.0.4

Fellow Ret Paladins, you've been summoned. Come patch day the majority of you will experience a new dawn, a new rise of the Ret Paladin. They will play different from what you are used to with many changes below. This is a recap of the changes that you will face on patch day and it will serve as a summary. I will not be including anything with level 86-90, this purely is about 85 and patch day expectancies. More in-depth posts about the following can be found across the web and you'll be certain to see guides on MMO-Champion in the dedicated section.

So what major things have changed:

- The Talent System has been completely re-hauled and each spec has received many appropriated spells and abilities (discussed below).

- All Paladins have had auras removed.

- Judgements of the Bold has been changed. This means that Judgement no longer returns mana, this will be fixed with a new passive: Sword of Light (explained in abilities section).

- You can now have up to 5 Holy Power, the Holy Power bar has also been changed to accommodate this change (Boundless Conviction).

- You can now only gain spell damage from 50% attack power and no other source.

- Ret Paladins can only use: Word of Glory, Flash of Light and Lay on Hands to heal themselves (or others). Holy has taken all other heals.

Some useful mechanic changes that you should take note of:

- Glancing blows can potentially happen approximately 24% of the time on auto-attacks. A glancing blow deals 75% damage and cannot crit (mobs 3+ levels higher).

- Abilities such as: Crusader Strike, Judgment and Templar's Verdict are all melee attacks, so they will use your Melee Crit and Hit %. (Auto-attacks also follow this rule) You will need expertise as they can be dodged or parried. Hammer of Wrath (Holy damage) and can be dodged, but not parried but Expertise and Hit affects it.

- This regards Exorcism: Spells do not have partial or full resists. All damaging spells do 200% damage when they Crit (this was 150% for spells). This realistically would be affecting your Exorcism only, Please note Exorcism uses the Spell Crit and Hit %. It cannot be dodged, parried, or blocked.

Talent System:

As you may be already aware, there will be 6 talents in total, earning a new talent every 15 levels. This re-cap will mention 5 of these talents (the 6th tier is un-locked at 90)

You may choose 1 of the following talents per tier, you can always change your mind by purchasing a regent to remove your choice:

Tier 1 (lvl 15) - Choice of Movement you want:

Your choice here will depend greatly on the requirements of the encounter as each has a different way of affecting your movement.

Tier 2 (lvl 30) – Your Control of your opponent/enemy:

This is a matter of personal preference in most cases.

Tier 3 (lvl 45) – Choice of Healing:

This may be an easy enough choice, but Sacred Shield would be arguably better in dungeon/raid environments. Whereas Selfless Healer I find to be better during solo content, but is great as a support heal. Eternal Flame probably is not worth it for a ret pala.

Tier 4 (lvl 60) – Choice of Utility:

It's hard to tell which will be more beneficial at the moment. Hand of Purity could be great reducing damage during an encounter, whereas Clemency could provide two essential Hands. Unbreakable Spirit might even reduce your Lay on Hands of other spells for great results.

Tier 5 (lvl 75) – Choice of Extra Damage:

There seems to be only a small difference between easy talent. Holy Avenger seems to be coming out at top though if you like knowing when to use a cd this is for you. If you prefer RNG go for Divine Purpose as you are used to it from Cata and Sanctified Wrath allows more pewpew during wings.

Abilities:

Several abilities will have changed icons. Along with gaining new abilities from the above talent tiers, Ret Paladins also experience the following changes:

New/Changed Spells:

Hammer of the Righteousness (New) - The Protection spec ability now also belongs to Ret and will be used for our aoe arsenal. Upon striking an enemy they receive Weakened Blows, which reduces their physical damage by 10%, lasts 30 seconds.

Emancipate (New) - This spell is learnt at level 54. It costs 15% base mana and is instant cast and costs a gcd. It removes 1 movement impairing effect.

Exorcism - Is now instant cast and has a 15 second cooldown and grants 1 charge of Holy Power.

Templar's Verdict - Now costs 3 Holy Power.

Divine Storm - This spell now costs 3 Holy Power and no longer heals you or others and no longer generates 1 Holy Power.

Judgement - Now has a 30 yard range without talents. Cooldown is lowered to 6 seconds. Your Judgement now cause Physical Vulnerability. The effect linked also gives 1 Holy Power every time to cast Judgement.

Seal of Justice - Re-designed. Melee attacks now reduce the target's movement speed by 50% for 5 seconds, basically a slow.

Seal of Command (New) - Learned at level 3. This Seal is replaced by Seal of Truth later on.

Inquisition - Now grants 10% additional crit for the duration. It also lasts 10 seconds per charge of Holy Power (down from 12). Inquisition can clip to provide additional seconds when refreshed (generally when refreshed with approx 2 seconds left).

Cleanse - has an 8 second cooldown but will not be incurred if you do not actually dispel anything, it will cost you your mana though.

Blessing of Kings - no longer provides 5% Stamina and extra magicial resistance.

Blessing of Might - now grants mastery instead of increased mana regen and attack power.

Devotion Aura (New) - is a defensive raid cooldown. Which overs 20% magic damage reduction, also immunity to silence and movement interrupt effects. It is a mix between Aura Mastery (Holy) and Divine Guardian (Prot).

Passives (New/Changed):

Sword of Light (New) - Increases the damage you deal with two-handed melee weapons by 10%. Spell power is now equal to 50% of your attack power, and you no longer benefit from other sources of spell power. Increases the healing done by Word of Glory and Flash of Light by 30%. Lastly with the change to Judgements of the Bold this passive will also grant 6% of your maximum mana every 2 sec.

Boundless Conviction (New) - Passive ability granted to all Paladins. It increases Holy Power capacity to 5 (from 3). Abilities that cost Holy Power can still only consume a maximum of 3 Holy Power.

Art of War (New) - This was a talent and slightly changed. It no longer increases Exorcism's damage but makes it instant cast. This passive is not normalized (Faster weapon speed = more auto-attacks).

Heart of the Crusader (New) - Basically Crusader Aura but now passive, granting 20% mount speed.

Supplication (New) – After killing an enemy which can grant experience or honour, for 8 seconds your next Flash of Light will be critical.

Sanctity of Battle (New) – Melee haste effects lower the cooldown of: Judgement, Crusader Strike, Hammer of the Righteousness, Exorcism and Hammer of Wrath. Sanctity of Battle also reduces the GCD of those abilities.

Judgements of the Bold (New) - This passive allows your Judgement to cause a physical vulnerability and give 1 Holy Power.

Removed Spells:

Consecration, Holy Wrath and Divine Plea are removed from Ret. Auras and Zealotry (Holy Avenger is like this spell) have been removed from the game.

Rotations:

Single Target:

Holy Power = HP

Inquisition with 3 HP > Templar's Verdict when capped at 5 HP > Exorcism > Hammer of Wrath > Crusader Strike > Judgement > Templar's Verdict with 3 HP (if you took Divine Purpose talent, this is also the time to use the effect).

Aoe:

Inquisition with 3 HP > Divine Storm when capped at 5 HP > Exorcism > Hammer of Wrath > Hammer of the Righteousness > Judgement > Divine Storm with 3 HP (if you took Divine Purpose talent, this is also the time to use the effect)

The difference between the two are:
    Use Templar's Verdict on single target, use Divine Storm on 2+ targets.
    Use Crusader Strike on single target, use Hammer of the Righteousness on 2+ targets.

Stats:

Stats are still widely are being debated, so don't take the below as final:

It is expected that on patch day: Hit = Expertise > Mastery > Haste > Crit
    However these changes slightly come MoP: Hit*= Expertise > Haste > Mastery > Crit

Please once again be aware this is still being highly debated and you may join the discussion in the Paladin forums.

Glyphs:

Please note that many glyphs will be changing along with the addition of new glyphs and the removal of Prime Glyphs.

From Vanderhuge:

The safe bets are going to be Templar's Verdict, Double Jeopardy, Mass Exorcism, and Harsh Words. My suggestion would be to swap between ME for heavy AoE encounters (Yor, Hag, Spine, Mad) and Harsh Words for those situational ranged moments (Mor, Zon, War). Also note that you probably won't even need it for Morchok if Hand of Purity works for Black Blood of the Earth.

In regards to Seal of Truth glyph:

BiS profile has Seal of Truth at 2200 DPS and Censure at 4300 DPS, a total of 6500 DPS.. With a 30% boost on SoT and a 50% reduction on Censure, we get:

2200 x 1.3 = 2860
    6500 x 0.5 = 3250

For a grand total of 6110, a loss of about 400 DPS. While this will certainly be fairly awesome for killing things quickly (example: leveling to 90), it's not a gain for sustained damage.

This concludes the summary of changes for the Ret Paladin for Patch 5.0.4.
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-08-28 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great thread, thanks a bunch!

Oh yeah, I forgot the number one reason I hate this patch: they're kicking my self-healing in the balls. :sighs: I'll be surprised if I can solo as good as a Rogue with all this crap... =-/

Deleted
    Couple of doubts,
    1) Is it better to delay Inq to 4 HP or 5 HP if you have few secs left in the Inq. I heard that Inq is clipping not sure if it is true and if please let us for how many secs are accounted into for clipping ? e.g: If you have 8 secs left on Inq and you are at 3 HP will it be better to CS -> Judge -> Inq at 5 HP -> CS -> TV ? Sorry I have not played in beta so I have no idea

2) In AoE rotation of 2+ Targets I presume we would still need to Seal swap or no ?

Quote Originally Posted by wlodziemier View Post
    Couple of doubts,
    1) Is it better to delay Inq to 4 HP or 5 HP if you have few secs left in the Inq. I heard that Inq is clipping not sure if it is true and if please let us for how many secs are accounted into for clipping ? e.g: If you have 8 secs left on Inq and you are at 3 HP will it be better to CS -> Judge -> Inq at 5 HP -> CS -> TV ? Sorry I have not played in beta so I have no idea

2) In AoE rotation of 2+ Targets I presume we would still need to Seal swap or no ?
    It's best to refresh it under 2 seconds left with 3+ HP, so as long as it doesn't run out, you could squeeze in a filler if you're below 5HP. It also probably wouldn't hurt much if you had to go with 2HP. I posted the clipping duration in the other thread: it's under 2 seconds (when it says 1/0 seconds left under the buff in-game).
    Last edited by Reith; 2012-08-27 at 03:00 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Informative post Azshira, thanks for taking your time to do that.

Armory : Fear@Cho'Gall UI Screen : Elv UI Wow Progress : Vindictive
    Cpu : Intel I7-2600k Mem : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Psu : Corsair HX1050 Gfx : EVGA GTX 770

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, just as a heads up: It is not listed in the tooltip, but Sanctity of Battle is also confirmed to be reducing the GCD of Templar's Verdict (not sure if confirmed for Inquisition yet)

Sanctity of Battle also reduces the GCD of those abilities, not just the Cooldowns.

Other than that, great post. Thank you.
    Last edited by Phantoms; 2012-08-27 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot the number one reason I hate this patch: they're kicking my self-healing in the balls. :sighs: I'll be surprised if I can solo as good as a Rogue with all this crap... =-/
    With WoG having no CD now, and being able to generate Holy power on a much higher frequency, with the Sword of light +30% healing to Flash and WoG.

Just that alone on Beta has made me able to solo some pretty crazy things.

Combine that with selfless healer, or Sacred shield, and holy avenger giving huge amounts of HP for 12 secs. Our survivability is actually quite nice for PvE soloing atm.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

"Ret Paladins can only use: Word of Glory, Flash of Light and Lay on Hands to heal themselves. Holy has taken all other heals."

Not sure if I understood this. Can rets still heal other party members?
    Don't force me to run you through!

-Knight, Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Knightblade View Post
    "Ret Paladins can only use: Word of Glory, Flash of Light and Lay on Hands to heal themselves. Holy has taken all other heals."

Yeah, they can. That's just all the healing spells they have now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks so much for this compliation.
    *Consecration, Holy Wrath and Divine Plea are removed from Ret. Auras and Zealotry (Holy Avenger is like this spell) have been removed from the game.*

If zealatory is removed...what happens to our t13 4P ? Anyone has any news on that.
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Ramian View Post
    *Consecration, Holy Wrath and Divine Plea are removed from Ret. Auras and Zealotry (Holy Avenger is like this spell) have been removed from the game.*

If zealatory is removed...what happens to our t13 4P ? Anyone has any news on that.
    Thanks again
    Just increases Templar's Verdict damage. 2-set just increases Crusader Strike damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramian View Post

Thanks again
    Templar's Verdict's Damage is increased by 20%
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post

Been playing on the Beta all weekend with my Pally. Trust me there are plenty of heals or you are doing it wrong.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wlodziemier View Post
    Couple of doubts,
    Not too sure on the Seal swapping is needed to be honest on 2 targets anyway. Seals will work a lot like a warriors stance now in a way, they will persist through death too.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by knudnat View Post
    Been playing on the Beta all weekend with my Pally. Trust me there are plenty of heals or you are doing it wrong.
    Plenty of healing potential yes to keep you or perhaps others alive

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 09:57 AM ----------

As Reith stated yes you can, this just stated they can only use these 3 spells now as opposed to a few others that they used to have, Holy has stole the spells! Pitchforks! I see how you could of gotten this mixed up so just added (or others) beside it.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    Also, just as a heads up: It is not listed in the tooltip, but Sanctity of Battle is also confirmed to be reducing the GCD of Templar's Verdict (not sure if confirmed for Inquisition yet)

Sanctity of Battle also reduces the GCD of those abilities, not just the Cooldowns.

Other than that, great post. Thank you.
    Ah good spot cheers.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 09:59 AM ----------

Oh and by the way guys if you are having trouble mouse over any of the tooltips of the pictures, just refresh your page
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-08-27 at 08:57 AM.

Yes
    Word of Glory is usable on anyone and glyphed it serves as a ranged damage ability when targeting enemy targets. Still costs up to 3 holy power and can proc 3holy power gain
    Flash of Light is usable on anyone, after you get the killing blow on a enemy your next Flash of Light is guaranteed to be a critical. If you have selfless healer you heal others for more and using judgement 3 times makes your flash of light instant and mana free (one charge for every 3 judgements, stacking buff)
    Lay on Hands is just like it's ever been.

If anything ret healing has become stronger, for fun I tested it out with a few guildies on beta and I managed to burst heal 100k hps with cds single target on a friendly. So imagine in pvp or arena, you KNOW people are gonna QQ on ret survival/utility again.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

world of glory still target the enemy ? i thought blizz re-change this ability

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrlx View Post
    world of glory still target the enemy ? i thought blizz re-change this ability
    WoG can be used as an attack with the Glyph known as Harsh Words.

Deleted
    Devotion Aura (New) - is a defensive raid cooldown. Which overs 20% magic damage reduction, also immunity to silence and movement interrupt effects. It is a mix between Aura Mastery (Holy) and Divine Guardian (Prot).

If this is usable in pvp/arena wouldnt it be way OP, i know it says raid cooldown but will there be a tooltip saying wether or not it is? or is that what its meant for, but tbh why am i complaining some stuff is looking pretty nice
    Last edited by mmoca75e6d026c; 2012-08-27 at 10:21 AM.