Desired Hot Fixes

I didn't play the beta, so maybe some of these are known issues.
    But anyway, all in all in these issues make so unenjoyable to play I'll just hope for a hot fix.
    Couldn't get past level 4 it was so annoying. Tried 3 different races and professions but they all suffered from the same issues.
    But thanks to the no subscription model, instead of quitting, there's no cost waiting for hot foxes until I play again.

Others can add their own wishes below.

1. Every time a tree of rock comes in between my character and the camera the camera bounces in and out.
    It's bad enough in straffing mode, but god forbid one tries to turn in a circle - it's a 3D game you should be able to turn without the camera bouncing everywhere making you sea sick.
    This can't be hard to fix, every other game I played from EQ to WoW to Tera to Rift to LOTR etc. handles the camera trivially.

2. Shadows are just terrible, even on the highest resolution. Even wow on a 4 year old machine has good shadows.
    Without good shadowing and lighting the characters look like 2D cardboard cutouts.
    If wow can make the avatars look like part of the 3D environment on 4 year old machines, this too should be trivial to fix.

3. Remove the outlining of npcs, creatures and avatars. Any time you completely surround an entire character with different color pixels it visually removes it from the envronment and makes it look like a 2D sprit. It's simle psychology, well studied, and most games put circles under selected characters and don;t outline them exactly for this reason.

4. Walk cycle animations need fixing. My toon seems to translate through the environment with its feet moving at the wrong speed as compared to the speed my toon moves. I mean I can handle a little foot skate, but this isn't even close. It can't take more than 1 day for a skilled animator to sit down and fix the speed on the animations. Again it feels like my character is a 2D sprite translating around floating in air with no ground contact.

5. Dyanmic events are designed terribly. Way too many enemies and way too many players. I can't even tell what I'm hitting half the time, and I'll select something move to it and all of a sudden its dead before I get there. Theif jump works sometimes, but other times it seems to fly off into nothing or after random birds or chimpmonks. Tried ranged classes like necro and hunter, but necro has car and scratch skills, not even really ranged. With all the bad shadowing, and 2D effects, throwing so many characters into such a small space makes it cluttered and eveyone just randomly hits random stuff. IT's like they took the horrible idea form the Nexus and made it into every encounter in the whole game. Simply giving both our avatars and the npc far more life would at least prolong the battles so you could sort out what's going on.

6. Abilities don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. It's the first game I've played where you literaly button mash and the skills have no real rotation feel or priority feel. Again, since the other 20 mmo's I played the last couple years do this easily, I assume it's a one day thing to design the skills in some sensible non mashing way.

TL;DR - a bunch of VERY small fixes, done trivially in other games, would make this a far more submersive 3D world rather than 2D sprites randome running around with confusing button mashing with no rhyme or reason.

Goog News - no sub fee, so even though it's too unenjoyable to be playable atm, can cross fingers and wait for hot fixes...
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

10+ Year Old Account
    O_o

You are aware that the shadows in this game are actually based on the actual shape of your character and the position of the light sources?

In WoW, all you get is a dark blob under your character. Regardless of light intensity and position.
    Admittedly... I can't remember if I ever set my shadows to high in WoW. I just don't remember shadows having real shapes.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 05:38 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I'd hold on to reasons 1-4 for now and maybe voice them on the official forums once the launch day chaos has subsided.

Reason 5 is just the nature of launch day. You're playing a game with thousands and thousands of other people, all within the same regions and levels as you. Naturally it was going to be crowded. If stuff like this bothers you, don't play during launch week.

You'll have to expand a little on reason 6. It seems like you're stuck in a bit of a WoW mind-set here. I don't think Guild Wars 2 is supposed to have DPS rotations and the like. Every ability should be entirely situational.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    O_o

You are aware that the shadows in this game are actually based on the actual shape of your character and the position of the light sources?

In WoW, all you get is a dark blob under your character. Regardless of light intensity and position.
    Admittedly... I can't remember if I ever set my shadows to high in WoW. I just don't remember shadows having real shapes.
    Download the free wow version, set it to ultra, and look at shadow. I just did it, it's amazingly detailed - and playable.
    I just went back to check myself to try and figure out why GW2 felt so flat.

#3 I'm pretty sure you can turn that feature off.

Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    Download the free wow version, set it to ultra, and look at shadow. I just did it, it's amazingly detailed - and playable.
    Wow updated the shadows when it went DX11. As a result, it has a fairly advanced (and resource heavy) high end shadow implementation.

GW2 is still a DX9 game with shadow implementation that looks pretty similar to that of GW1. That's a game from 2007. On the bright side, while a lot worse then WoW, it's at least as much better then SWTOR in this regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    #3 I'm pretty sure you can turn that feature off.
    Is this true, I really cant stand it, its a feature Id like to remove, just do like other mmos and give me a circle.

Op you say small fixes then criticise the whole dynamic event system thats not something that can be hotfixed :P
    Your other points are mainly personal preference and as such dont require a hotfix they just need you to get to like them unfortunately.

PS As im actually playing wow I Can safely say the shadows are superior and not just blobs, dont know why people even need to mention wow especially when they dont even play it and thus spread misinformation.

1) I have never seen it actually "bounce". It moves up and down with the terrain, yes, but thats a good thing. I much prefer that to having to move the camera up everytime there is a hill or rock between my toon and my screen. Wouldnt hurt to have an option to turn it off, tho.

2) This is a DX9 game unless im mistaken (DX 10 max). WoW upgraded to DX11. Yes, it has better shadows, but no, they did not have those shadows 4 years ago. Personally I think they are completely fine the way they are... If anything, im tired of irreallistically defined shadows. Sorry man, but if you go spend 5 min outside, you'll notice that shadows are not in unicolor HD.

3) Frankly It never bothered me at all, just made it easier to tell who i am targetting without having to look down. That being said, again, wouldnt hurt to have an option to turn it off I guess.

4) You would have to post detailed videos here, because I have no freaking clue what you are talking about. My version of the game is fine in that department...

5) Its a MMO launch... what in the name of god did you expect? Just be happy you arnt waiting around for quest mobs with 20 other players.

6) Button mash? Look, anyone can do button mash. But ill tell you right away: if you do, you are bad. The game should not have to tell you which spell to use in which order, you should be able to figure that out by yourself. For exemple (I play sword/pistol mesmer): 1 = autoattack. 2 = AoE burst (cannot use while moving). 3= gap closer + clone + root. 4 = Single target burst + clone. 5 = Ranged stun. 6 = heal. 7 = instant damage, no GCD. Needs to be charged first. 8 = Stealth + clone.

There is very much a high priority system. First i need to keep an eye on clone generation for my Shatters, then I need to keep in mind the skills DPS (2>4>1). My "8" and "6" are best kept for keeping myself out of trouble, while my "3" and "5" are great for closing the gap and keeping a target in place for my "2" or "4" to deal maximum damage.

"4" and "5" flow great together because both are ranged and can be used to keep them in place and apply pressure while running in range for a short root using "3", allowing me to land a full "2" without them running out of its range (timming here usually lets the damage from the "4" and "2" land at the same time, giving you huge burst). If im in a pile ill keep my stealth for escapes, but if its 1v1 I'll usually use that right after the "2" to get a third illusion going, which allows me to pop either F1 for damage or F4 for extra survivability, again depending on how the fight is going.

No, the game isnt holding your hand telling you what spells to use in what order, but if you are button smashing because of it, the bottom line is that you lack the intelligence to figure out a system that very much exists but somehow eludes you...

EDIT:
    PS As im actually playing wow I Can safely say the shadows are superior and not just blobs, dont know why people even need to mention wow especially when they dont even play it and thus spread misinformation.
    That is because most of us played WoW before they switched to DX11. Trust me, shadows used to be blobs.
    Last edited by Nikijih; 2012-08-26 at 06:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat is going to feel button mashy to new people, I remember having the most useless spells in my tooblars on other mmos, this kind of spoon feeds you a little bit and i dont mean that negatively, it only gives stuff thats useful to you. But I have found it to be a bit button mashy the first few hours of levelling a prof, but I highly doubt its any worse than learning any other new mmo

But anyway, all in all in these issues make so unenjoyable to play I'll just hope for a hot fix.
    Couldn't get past level 4 it was so annoying. Tried 3 different races and professions but they all suffered from the same issues.
    But thanks to the no subscription model, instead of quitting, there's no cost waiting for hot foxes until I play again.

1. Every time a tree of rock comes in between my character and the camera the camera bounces in and out.
    It's bad enough in straffing mode, but god forbid one tries to turn in a circle - it's a 3D game you should be able to turn without the camera bouncing everywhere making you sea sick.
    This can't be hard to fix, every other game I played from EQ to WoW to Tera to Rift to LOTR etc. handles the camera trivially.

2. Shadows are just terrible, even on the highest resolution. Even wow on a 4 year old machine has good shadows.
    Without good shadowing and lighting the characters look like 2D cardboard cutouts.
    If wow can make the avatars look like part of the 3D environment on 4 year old machines, this too should be trivial to fix.

3. Remove the outlining of npcs, creatures and avatars. Any time you completely surround an entire character with different color pixels it visually removes it from the envronment and makes it look like a 2D sprit. It's simle psychology, well studied, and most games put circles under selected characters and don;t outline them exactly for this reason.

4. Walk cycle animations need fixing. My toon seems to translate through the environment with its feet moving at the wrong speed as compared to the speed my toon moves. I mean I can handle a little foot skate, but this isn't even close. It can't take more than 1 day for a skilled animator to sit down and fix the speed on the animations. Again it feels like my character is a 2D sprite translating around floating in air with no ground contact.

5. Dyanmic events are designed terribly. Way too many enemies and way too many players. I can't even tell what I'm hitting half the time, and I'll select something move to it and all of a sudden its dead before I get there. Theif jump works sometimes, but other times it seems to fly off into nothing or after random birds or chimpmonks. Tried ranged classes like necro and hunter, but necro has car and scratch skills, not even really ranged. With all the bad shadowing, and 2D effects, throwing so many characters into such a small space makes it cluttered and eveyone just randomly hits random stuff. IT's like they took the horrible idea form the Nexus and made it into every encounter in the whole game. Simply giving both our avatars and the npc far more life would at least prolong the battles so you could sort out what's going on.

6. Abilities don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. It's the first game I've played where you literaly button mash and the skills have no real rotation feel or priority feel. Again, since the other 20 mmo's I played the last couple years do this easily, I assume it's a one day thing to design the skills in some sensible non mashing way.

TL;DR - a bunch of VERY small fixes, done trivially in other games, would make this a far more submersive 3D world rather than 2D sprites randome running around with confusing button mashing with no rhyme or reason.

Goog News - no sub fee, so even though it's too unenjoyable to be playable atm, can cross fingers and wait for hot fixes...
    Your opinion is valid and I'm not bashing it but it's clear you don't like this game and would rather pandaria. Fortunately you're smart enough to know this and have made the best choice for you. In which case you creating a thread wanting gw2 fixes and bashing the game seems foolish because you already decided to play another mmo. So unless you want to play gw2 don't bash it and let those that enjoy the game have their fun.

I agree - WoW's fake shadows look better than GW2's fake shadows. Every other graphic detail, however, looks 100x better in GW2 - the water/sunlight reflections on the water look stunning....so do the spell effects...so do the realistic environments...etc.

The beta experience was for me, wonderful. The worst issues in the betas was the occasional lag/skill delay. Very minor and never long.

However, as is the case when MMOs hit a live server... shit happens. Headstart has been very, very rocky.

1. FIX THE AH

Stopped working on Saturday. Can not use it since.

2. Fix broken Skill Point Challenges in Snowden.. that were buggy in beta.

No excuse here. These went through at least 2 passes and launch without a fix. -_-

3. Fix bugged DEs in Harathi Hinterlands, Queensdale South, Ebonhawke and Bloodtide Coast
    DEs are not progressing, just stuck at certain points. Mobs in the Hinterlands and Ebonhawke randomly walk away or stand there frozen.

4. The body sliding thing is way lame. Fix, plz.

This has happened like 4 or 5 times now. I use a leap or a charge skill and my character is stuck in knockdown animation. I can use skills and move but just glide on side like I am sleeping/magically firing arrows out of my butt. 1, 2, 3, 4.

5. Fix the cut scene stuck in combat thing

Had to stop doing my Personal Story because the harpy veteran bugged out. Cut scene began as the harpy was still alive. Garm and my pet are now stuck in combat 4ever. Cut scene won't end. Eir and I just sway...

6. Overflow system broken
    Not matching us to the same as a party. {Party members randomly disappearing from the map.

7. Can not join new guild/can not represent new guilds
    Only fix seems to be spam kick/invite/join to the same person

Hope this stuff is addressed soon. Rather buggy and unstable.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-26 at 06:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    I agree - WoW's fake shadows look better than GW2's fake shadows. Every other graphic detail, however, looks 100x better in GW2 - the water/sunlight reflections on the water look stunning....so do the spell effects...so do the realistic environments...etc.
    Yeah lets compare an 8 year old games graphics to a new release :S Also thats a personal preference I have no preference between the 2 as both have a different art style.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-26 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    1) I have never seen it actually "bounce". It moves up and down with the terrain, yes, but thats a good thing. I much prefer that to having to move the camera up everytime there is a hill or rock between my toon and my screen. Wouldnt hurt to have an option to turn it off, tho.

2) This is a DX9 game unless im mistaken (DX 10 max). WoW upgraded to DX11. Yes, it has better shadows, but no, they did not have those shadows 4 years ago. Personally I think they are completely fine the way they are... If anything, im tired of irreallistically defined shadows. Sorry man, but if you go spend 5 min outside, you'll notice that shadows are not in unicolor HD.

3) Frankly It never bothered me at all, just made it easier to tell who i am targetting without having to look down. That being said, again, wouldnt hurt to have an option to turn it off I guess.

4) You would have to post detailed videos here, because I have no freaking clue what you are talking about. My version of the game is fine in that department...

5) Its a MMO launch... what in the name of god did you expect? Just be happy you arnt waiting around for quest mobs with 20 other players.

6) Button mash? Look, anyone can do button mash. But ill tell you right away: if you do, you are bad. The game should not have to tell you which spell to use in which order, you should be able to figure that out by yourself. For exemple (I play sword/pistol mesmer): 1 = autoattack. 2 = AoE burst (cannot use while moving). 3= gap closer + clone + root. 4 = Single target burst + clone. 5 = Ranged stun. 6 = heal. 7 = instant damage, no GCD. Needs to be charged first. 8 = Stealth + clone.

There is very much a high priority system. First i need to keep an eye on clone generation for my Shatters, then I need to keep in mind the skills DPS (2>4>1). My "8" and "6" are best kept for keeping myself out of trouble, while my "3" and "5" are great for closing the gap and keeping a target in place for my "2" or "4" to deal maximum damage.

"4" and "5" flow great together because both are ranged and can be used to keep them in place and apply pressure while running in range for a short root using "3", allowing me to land a full "2" without them running out of its range (timming here usually lets the damage from the "4" and "2" land at the same time, giving you huge burst). If im in a pile ill keep my stealth for escapes, but if its 1v1 I'll usually use that right after the "2" to get a third illusion going, which allows me to pop either F1 for damage or F4 for extra survivability, again depending on how the fight is going.

No, the game isnt holding your hand telling you what spells to use in what order, but if you are button smashing because of it, the bottom line is that you lack the intelligence to figure out a system that very much exists but somehow eludes you...

EDIT:

That is because most of us played WoW before they switched to DX11. Trust me, shadows used to be blobs.
    So basically you mash 3/5 to catch up to a target, 8/6 if you start to die, and 2/4 to do damage.
    That's what I'm call button mashing in the first place.

Also "in a pile" is exactly one of my other complaints btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Nikijh - there is no particular of skill order that particularly matters, because you're not exactly intended to just mindlessly rotate your skills. For most weapons, highest DPS is pure auto-attack, and the other abilities are there for specific situations or tasks. Doing AoE, moving towards/away from the enemy, blocking an attack, stealthing yourself, huge amount of burst, applying a certain condition or boon.

So basically you mash 3/5 to catch up to a target, 8/6 if you start to die, and 2/4 to do damage.
    I've always called "button mashing" as just constantly mashing buttons to kill the enemy, non-stop. Not necessarily random buttons, but that would usually be the case.

Neither form is true for GW2. If you call situational skills that need to be used intelligently in combat instead of mindlessly spammed "button mashing"... then button mashing is a good thing.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 05:52 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
    Just for clarification, WoW had shadows added in patch 3.0 in October 2008, it's not a DX11 specific feature. DX11 only increases performance, not features in WoW.

Actually its quite a lot more complicated then that, but I guess I wasnt clear enough for you.

Let me try again:
    "1": Auto-attack
    "2": PBAoE that also happens to be my highest DPS skill. Cannot use on running targets unless you stop them from moving, meaning you have to plan before using it. Makes you invulnerable for the duration, meaning you have to keep in consideration that, while high DPS, you could also keep it for a few seconds of invulnerability as an extra "evade" (with good timming), or to wait on a CD.
    "3": Both a gap closer, a root and a clone skill. You can use it to open, you can keep it to use with your "2" (not same CD = cant always combo), you can use it to summon an extra clone for a Shatter skill, or as an extra decoy, or as a way to leave the melee faster by targetting a far-away opponent. Always keep in mind the opportunity cost (if you use it for a Shatter burst then he evades you wont have a gap closer for exemple).
    "4": Single target burst and clone skill. Pretty straightfoward skill, altho you have to keep in mind that the clone shoots once and can then be used for Shatter skills, so you want to time it with your other clone skills.
    "5": Range stun, can be used to close a gap, can be used for a "2" burst, can be kept for running away, can be kept as an interrupt.
    "6": Heal. Pretty straightfoward.
    "7": Extra damage, requires setup. Charging takes time and requires a disengage, so you want to plan how to use your two charges wisely to throw a target off.
    "8": Stealth + CLone. Can be used to close distance without being seen, can be used to make an escape, can be used to summon an extra clone if neither is required, can be use when focused to throw fire off you and stay in the pile longuer.

Now, if you want to resume that with "Button Mashing", I am sorry to say, you qualify as a bad player. Sure, I could just mash whatever. Or I could attempt to actually be as effective as possible, keeping a tool for every situation, allowing me to react accordingly and come on top.

Also "in a pile" is exactly one of my other complaints btw.
    Its a MMORPG. I don't understand which part of that you dont understand. People play those games because they offer MASSIVELY multiplayer online experiences. If you want arena gameplay then go play SPvP, and if you want to solo on your own without anyone around then go play a single player game. ANet cannot "hotfix" players to stay offline just so you can have your cake and eat it.
    Last edited by Nikijih; 2012-08-26 at 11:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be ok with the official forums being brought online, I don't think they've been up yet this whole headstart. It's a pretty effective way to reduce QQ to a minimum though. And it would be nice if I could get the FPS my PC is capable of, regardless if it's Arenanet's fault or Nvidia's.

1. I personally have not had this happen, but if it does happen to some people even if not all people yes I agree it would need fixed.

2. This one I (mostly) disagree with, the shadows in GW2 are MUCH better then your example of WoWs... In WoW its a big black blob no matter where you are, in GW2 the shadows are the shapes and densities of proper degrees to where even gaps in the leaves of trees leaves the correct shadow in it, as for a part I would partially agree on with the shadow issue you brought up is that there is almost to many light sources indoors or in major cities from to many angles where a lot of the time you don't end up getting any shadows because of multiple light sources fading out the shadow to much. But for the most part when you are not in cities or highly light areas the shadows.... well look like what a real shadow would given the light sources and locations. Looks much more realistic then your example of "good shadows" which are basically one density and blob fits all shadows.

EDIT: Apparently WoW has updated their shadows and I never noticed, I know for many years they where just one shade fits all blobs, so even if I saw the new shadows I may have forgotten what they look like due to only remembering the shadows I saw for the longest amount of time when playing. Either way I don't find the shadows in GW2 bad at all, proper shapes and multiple densities based on locations and densities of light sources. But to each his own.

3. Fully agree, when I run the game in 2D it makes the outlined things look flat, when I run it in 3D sterioscopic (rare to do for me, and most people don't have the hardware to run in 3D) they look great and fully there, but when not using sterioscopic it makes the models highlighed look flat... I don't think however removing said highlighting entirely is the best option, I think having an option to turn on/off highlighting would be best.

4. Can not comment on this since I rarely look at the feet of my character, I am normally looking "over shoulder" in front of my toon... but it may be a big enough of an issue for some people to where it would be good to "fix" but this is kinda a nitpicky thing since odds are a good 70-90% of people never even notice what the feet on their character are doing since feet are kinda out of sight of where most people look for combat.

5. I take it you have not played many MMOs day one? DEs are not poorly designed, its more of the fact that they are not made for 100% of the people to be in a very small cluster f***, give the game a few weeks for people to spread out more before coming a a conclusion on this since you normal play per area ratio will not be so clumped.

6. Your judging this a bit to early just like number 5... how much skill did you have to use in say level 1-20 content of vanilla WoW, or RiFt, or ToR,or well you get the point... at least get to level 40+ content before judging how the combats challenge will work, they have already said on many occasions that intro level content is button spamable to allow content where lesser skilled players to play in while as playing that way in higher level content is a good way to die due to having skill x on CD at the wrong time... I am not saying your wrong, this may very well be the case but get to higher level content first before making that call since pretty sure you can do the same "random button spam" in any low level of any MMO heck you could easily defeat the first few dungeons in WoW via just auto attacking as long as you have a competent healer because its designed to be for new players who have no clue how to play yet, so its still a bit to early to judge (unless your already mid 60s doing mid 60s content and still being able to just spam in which case that is disapointing).

Anyways I agree fully on two of your points, disagree with one, have no comment on one and feel that two of them you are judging a bit to early, which could be agree or disagree once servers settle down and more people are higher levels.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-08-26 at 11:27 PM.