Deleted

Do you use your macro-keys on your keyboard?

I was wondering,

most modern gaming keyboards come with a large array of macro-buttons along-side the regular 100+ keyboard buttons.

My own keyboard has at least a dozen of these but I've never put them to any good use.

I was wondering how many people actually make use of their macro-keys and if so, in what fashion?

And what is the best way to put these keys to use?

I'm actually very curious as to what creative ways people use them. I can't see them being that practical for macros in-game. At least for WoW.

Deleted
    I used to have a keyboard with extra macro keys down the sides but I never ended up using them. They were just too far away and it wasted too much time moving my hand away from the WSAD keys.

Deleted
    I use them in HoN a lot. I got certain pre-made starting item setups on my G-keys that makes me buy the stuff I need instantly. Helps to set-up early ganks and to get into the game faster. Especially helpful in mid-wars where the early loadout looks very similar on a multitude of heroes.

I happen to use them on occasion in "normal" tasks as well; setting up a quick macro for a task you do repeated times is helpful.

Other than that, I don't use them that much.

I bound them to an action bar on the far left side of the screen that's hidden but appears on mouseover.
    I have them set to do targeting things.
    on one fight the first one might target the boss, the second targets the random add that needs to die ASAP the fourth a mob that I need to kill that might get lost in crowd of other mobs. Tabbing through and hoping you get luck, or click-targeting (with name plates to highlight the 'interesting mob') are still not as quick as "press this button to target and attack <X>"

I have another button that swaps the profile of my keyboard that converts those buttons into 1-press "put the <red/green/blue/yellow/purple> raid marker where my mouse cursor is" buttons. It's useful when you get stuck doing raid leading to nto fiddle around with pulling out the menu - just point with mouse and press M1, M2, M3 to place markers.

In the past I've used them to 'reconfigure' my UI from "stand around the city" where I want to hide buttons/unit frames, make my chat window larger ad centered etc. and then "I'm going to play dungeons as a healer " or "I want to raid as DPS now"

The quick and dirty way to implement the above is to just have a bunch of profiles that you swap for addons and then a macro that switches them all: /bartender profile choose idle; /chatter profile choose idle; etc. When your macro to switch profiles gets to long you either need another addon (like bindpad), do some cross macro-chain calling, or you can just make a keyboard marcro that types allt he things you would have put into the macro.

In wrath I had a 'solo magtheridon' macro that cycled through defensive cooldowns while spamming deathstrike. I could run to the boss, drag him to a wall, press the macro - go take a piss - and when I came back the boss was at half health.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a keyboard with 5 macro buttons going down the very left hand side of the keyboard... I have never once used them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    I have a keyboard with 5 macro buttons going down the very left hand side of the keyboard... I have never once used them.
    How? I have like 40+ keybinds and im dying for a few more that would be comfortable.

I have macro buttons on my mouse that I use occasionally but the ones on my keyboard have never been touched. They are in an awkward position for me so I really never touch them .

Deleted
    I have a sidewinder x4 and it has 6 macro buttons which I find handy for extra keybinds in WoW.
    The buttons aren't too far away and work well
    I just bind them to keybinds you wouldnt manually press for example

Macro button "S1" - Ctrl+alt+1
    Macro button "S2" - Ctrl+alt+2
    Macro button "S3" - Ctrl+alt+3
    Macro button "S4" - Ctrl+alt+4
    Macro button "S5" - Ctrl+alt+5
    Macro button "S6" - Ctrl+alt+6

I used my G15 years ago to auto jump in AV when I was afk for a few min. Thats about all though.

I do, however I cant seem to find a use for ALL of them lol.. Logitech G600 + Corsair K90, that's 31 keys, just macro keys, not counting the regular keyboard keys.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Just usernames, emails and a 10-sec hold mb1 for mining obsidian in Minecraft.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    I do, however I cant seem to find a use for ALL of them lol.. Logitech G600 + Corsair K90, that's 31 keys, just macro keys, not counting the regular keyboard keys.
    best problem ive ever heard of imo.