Thread: LFG Workaround?

LFG Workaround?

There is a bug in the groupfinder where you click on your choice of DPS or Heal (by turning the other one off) and the game will still assign you to the role you did not choose. This results in a "decline" and another half hour wait. Today I had four dungeons in a row where I was assigned the "heal" role even when I had only DPS lit up. Yes I double checked.

So, after ranting in another bug report, I started playing. I clicked off heal, sent as healer. I clicked off both choices, and then clicked on DPS, still sent as a healer. The next time I clicked both off and on twice, then turned the dps on (this was my 5th attempt) and I got a queue as DPS. Probably just random luck though. I will test this method again tomorrow to be sure.

So, does anyone have a good workaround for this? Tomorrow I will try queuing for the dungeon run only (today I was queued for both dungeon and sm ops) if today's method fails me and see if that helps.

I don't know but I reported this issue w/ a ticket to the GMs filed as a "bug report"

So, you and everyone else just do that too so they'll be aware of this crap and fix it

Today I got in first try as DPS. I queued ONLY for one HM flashpoint, as DPS, and that is the choice that came up. This is no proof however, so I will do the same thing tomorrow and the next day and see (hope) that only joining one queue at a time is a workaround.

Okay I could not post yesterday and today I tried a different browser.

I found 2 workarounds.

1, is to queue with a group. I know thats not really an option but queing with one other person seems to help for some reason.

2, Go ahead and queue as healer and dps but imedietly click group finder again unselect healer and hit update roles. For some reason it will accept updating roles but ignore initial unchecking of healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilith View Post
    Okay I could not post yesterday and today I tried a different browser.

I found 2 workarounds.

1, is to queue with a group. I know thats not really an option but queing with one other person seems to help for some reason.

2, Go ahead and queue as healer and dps but imedietly click group finder again unselect healer and hit update roles. For some reason it will accept updating roles but ignore initial unchecking of healer.
    Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.

Today I did the only queue for a HM and not for an operation as dps, and it put me in as the healer again. Then a tank asked for more, so I joined him as dps and we got another dps and a healer in a few seconds. I hope your method works!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.

Today I did the only queue for a HM and not for an operation as dps, and it put me in as the healer again. Then a tank asked for more, so I joined him as dps and we got another dps and a healer in a few seconds. I hope your method works!
    FYI all, this is two days in a row that this workaround has worked for me. Yes, not enough days to be statistically significant, but it is a good start.

And thanks again for the tip!

FYI all, this is two days in a row that this workaround has worked for me. Yes, not enough days to be statistically significant, but it is a good start.

And thanks again for the tip!
    Glad to help man!

There is a bug in the groupfinder where you click on your choice of DPS or Heal (by turning the other one off) and the game will still assign you to the role you did not choose. This results in a "decline" and another half hour wait. Today I had four dungeons in a row where I was assigned the "heal" role even when I had only DPS lit up. Yes I double checked.

So, after ranting in another bug report, I started playing. I clicked off heal, sent as healer. I clicked off both choices, and then clicked on DPS, still sent as a healer. The next time I clicked both off and on twice, then turned the dps on (this was my 5th attempt) and I got a queue as DPS. Probably just random luck though. I will test this method again tomorrow to be sure.

So, does anyone have a good workaround for this? Tomorrow I will try queuing for the dungeon run only (today I was queued for both dungeon and sm ops) if today's method fails me and see if that helps.
    I'm not sure it's a bug.

Read this:

Advanced Classes and Roles:

The roles that you are allowed to queue for in Group Finder are based on your Advanced Class and not your skill point allocation. For example, if you are a Jedi Sage you can queue for both damage and healing.

Once you launch Group Finder, you can limit yourself to a specific role if you so choose. You can also queue for both of the roles that are available based on your Advanced Class. However, you are more likely to be assigned to the less common roles (tanking or healing) than to damage.

When Group Finder successfully matches you with a group, the icon next to your name will display the role you have been assigned. However, Group Finder does not automatically allocate points in your skill tree based on the role selected; you must change your allocations manually if required. For example, if you are a Jedi Sage that is allocated to a damage tree and you are assigned to a healing role, you will have to travel to the respec vendor and reallocate your skill points before you travel to the Flashpoint or Operation.
    Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/guide-group-finder-part-2

What we have found to help with this when playing a sage and guardian is as soon as we join que. Each person goes to the finder and unclicks all options, reclicks the one option they want and then clicks "UPDATE ROLE".

That seems to have solved many issues when being assigned a role I have no business playing. I'm a full sage healer. Never been DPS but got it a couple times till I started doing what I said above. Same for my brother that plays a guardian. He's all DPS but at times gets tanking. He's never been a tank.

Doing the update role has fixed those problems.
    Last edited by quras; 2012-08-31 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I'm not sure it's a bug.

Read this:

Source: http://www.swtor.com/blog/guide-group-finder-part-2

What we have found to help with this when playing a sage and guardian is as soon as we join que. Each person goes to the finder and unclicks all options, reclicks the one option they want and then clicks "UPDATE ROLE".

That seems to have solved many issues when being assigned a role I have no business playing. I'm a full sage healer. Never been DPS but got it a couple times till I started doing what I said above. Same for my brother that plays a guardian. He's all DPS but at times gets tanking. He's never been a tank.

Doing the update role has fixed those problems.

Yes that's is where I found the work around. Also if you actually read gruffs post you would see that He did "unselect healer" it was making him queue as a healer anyway. That is a bug. It had nothing to do with his spec it was forcing healer on him even if he deselected it.

I had this same problem on my sorc I found 2 work arounds the update rolls one from that specific thread.

Well, bad news.

Today I queued three times, all three I:
    1 - queued as both DPS and Heals;
    2 - clicked off heal so only dps was lit;
    3 - chose to update role.

The first two times I was sent in as dps. The third time I was made healer again. So this "workaround" seems to make it more likely that you will be given the role you want, but you will still be given the wrong role at times.

I have been watching the queues for a while now, and I think this is a common bug. Often I will see all of the dps click "ready" and then get the message "a group member has declined, you have been placed at the top of the queue." My best guess is that whoever chose dps and had the game put them in as a tank or healer was the one that declined.

I hope that this gets addressed with 1.4, or at least dual speccing gets put in. RIFT style 4 speccing would be even nicer.

I agree with the spec switching I hope they add it. The current method of spending credits to respec can get very costly very very quickly. It is not practical to run 2 specs at all.

Well, the past two days it seems update roles has been taken out, or is not working after the last patch. Not sure if the wrong spec bug was changed or fixed as well, since I saw nothing in the patch notes on this specific issue.

I guess I'll have to see.

So, this bug is still present. I queued today as DPS for my dungeon run, it came up as DPS, then I queued as DPS for sm KP/EV, and it came up as heals. 63k to change spec again. Yes, I am annoyed, I would rather have waited longer... but not so long I wanted to decline and set my queue position back to 0.

One day I hope this is addressed...

So, this bug is still present. I queued today as DPS for my dungeon run, it came up as DPS, then I queued as DPS for sm KP/EV, and it came up as heals. 63k to change spec again. Yes, I am annoyed, I would rather have waited longer... but not so long I wanted to decline and set my queue position back to 0.

One day I hope this is addressed...
    It is rather annoying especially since they took out the workaround.

Well, this topic is now addressed in the "?" known issues section in the game. BW says they are aware of the issue and working on a fix. Hopefully this will be fixed before FTP, or a lot of new players will be whining.