Thread: Hd 7870

  1. #1
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216

    Hd 7870

    So I ordered one, it is between GTX570 and GTX 580 right?

    Also power consumption is way lower than GTX570?

    I can't see how it is better than GTX570 but consumes less power? Did it come out later and was tech better then?

    Basicly I want to discuss the GPU a bit.




    Oh, and is Sapphire a good brand to buy it from?

  2. #2
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,229
    What is there to discuss? It's a newer architecture on a smaller die that allows for higher performance at lower power consumption.

    It's a fair chunk faster than the 570 though so I feel it isn't fair to pair it with that card. If you want to pair it to a card from the last generation then the GTX 580 is much closer:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=517

    In reality though, I'd say it's much fairer to pair it with the new GTX 660 Ti:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=647

    You can find a review here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5691/t...lor-pcs-hd7870


    As for reference cards, brand matter little. For custom coolers I'd go with Gigabyte Windforce, MSI Twin Frozr or possibly ASUS DCII. There are other good ones; Sapphires aftermarket cooler solution is alright:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...phire_hd_7870/
    Last edited by Marest; 2012-08-26 at 12:37 PM.

  3. #3
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    What is there to discuss? It's a newer architecture on a smaller die that allows for higher performance at lower power consumption.

    It's a fair chunk faster than the 570 though so I feel it isn't fair to pair it with that card. If you want to pair it to a card from the last generation then the GTX 580 is much closer:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=517

    In reality though, I'd say it's much fairer to pair it with the new GTX 660 Ti:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=647

    You can find a review here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5691/t...lor-pcs-hd7870


    As for reference cards, brand matter little. For custom coolers I'd go with Gigabyte Windforce, MSI Twin Frozr or possibly ASUS DCII. There are other good ones; Sapphires aftermarket cooler solution is alright:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...phire_hd_7870/
    Comparing it with the GTX 660 Ti? I know it recently came out and I ASSUME it is a mid range card. But can it really be compared with that card when the 660 is more expensive? I would assume they would make it more expensive for more than the reason: it's just released.

    EDIT: Nvm, just saw the comparison between the 2, it seems 660 in SOME fronts is better, but for me does not justify the higher price like that.
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2012-08-26 at 12:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Fluffy Kitten Marest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,229
    Performance-wise the GTX 660 Ti and the 7870 are very similar. They are both considered to be mid-range cards. Price matters little; the charts speak for themselves.

    nVidia cards usually pull ahead in TWIMTBP titles (simply due to driver and card optimization from the developers).

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Oh and Physx doesn't matter THAT much I assume? It is barely noticable? (going from Nvidia to Radeon, that's why)
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2012-08-26 at 12:50 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Performance-wise the GTX 660 Ti and the 7870 are very similar. They are both considered to be mid-range cards. Price matters little; the charts speak for themselves.

    nVidia cards usually pull ahead in TWIMTBP titles (simply due to driver and card optimization from the developers).
    If im not mistaken the 7870 has a better memory bandwidth, so longevity wise the 7870 will pull ahead. Still I think id recommend the 660 Ti currently.
    Think im going to do a lil WC soon, waiting to see some waterblocked 680s. Only going to do 1 tho =)

    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Oh and Physx doesn't matter THAT much I assume? It is barely noticable? (going from Nvidia to Radeon, that's why)
    your cpu handles Physx if on radeon and game demands it.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-08-26 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I can't see how it is better than GTX570 but consumes less power? Did it come out later and was tech better then?
    The one is from 2010 and the other from 2012.

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    If im not mistaken the 7870 has a better memory bandwidth, so longevity wise the 7870 will pull ahead. Still I think id recommend the 660 Ti currently.
    Think im going to do a lil WC soon, waiting to see some waterblocked 680s. Only going to do 1 tho =)



    your cpu handles Physx if on radeon and game demands it
    .
    Wow. I didn't know that.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Wow. I didn't know that.
    Also btw yes the 570 is older than the 7870, by an entire generation. The 7870 is newer "smaller" technology technically, with size decreases you get power consumption decreases generally speaking.

  10. #10
    I am thinking about getting the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigaby...870-oc-review/ I just hope that I can use it on my Gigabyte P55-UD3L MB. My MB only supports PCIe 2.0 and the GPU is a PCIe 3.0 card meaning that it has to be downward compatible.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by martinboy View Post
    I am thinking about getting the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigaby...870-oc-review/ I just hope that I can use it on my Gigabyte P55-UD3L MB. My MB only supports PCIe 2.0 and the GPU is a PCIe 3.0 card meaning that it has to be downward compatible.
    It will work and you won't lose any performance.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It will work and you won't lose any performance.
    This makes me wonder if it will work with my mobo, ASRock S3/DE H61. :/

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=H61DE/S3
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2012-08-27 at 09:11 PM.

  13. #13
    All PCI-E x16 cards work on all PCI-E x16 slots. The only difference is in bandwidth.
    Not only you can put a 3.0 card in to a 2.0 or a 1.0 slot, but you can put a x16 card into smaller slot like x1 and it would work (although severely limited). The opposite is also possible, x1 card into a x16 slot.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-08-27 at 10:03 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    your cpu handles Physx if on radeon and game demands it.
    not entirely true. there is software you can download from nvidia to get some physx (i'm talking about the trademarked stuff nvidia owns, not other mechanics where a developer might integrate physics) working in games like batman that have phsyx. but it's nowhere near having a physx enabled card.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •