Page 49 of 112 FirstFirst ...
39
47
48
49
50
51
59
99
... LastLast
  1. #961
    Legendary! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    6,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Really? I'm not allowed to claim I like it better than any other mmorpg Ive played?
    Hmm, well its 2 days in, I guess one could say its maybe a bit too early to say, you could probably say its the best start to an MMO you've ever seen but really MMOs are judged on longevity not the quick fix. Not saying your wrong, its your judgement call, you can ofc claim it, but its not really much credence to some peopel due to the short time frame.

  2. #962
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadanon View Post
    Ye - GW2 is the first game in a long long long time where Im not rushing through the content - just enjoying it - exploring and looking at fantastic vistas all over the place. ANd I can do that because I dont have to rush to some "endgame" and I dont have a month sub to worry about. I will do it in my own time and progress at my own pace.

    Ya I havent had much time to play during the head start. But I found myself going through divinity's reach for I would say...at the very least...ninety minutes looking for vistas and waypoints. Just gasping in absolute AWE at how absolutely amazing looking this game is. Best part is I was rewarded with experience for finding those waypoints and other stuff...

  3. #963
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcatron View Post
    Interesting, I feel the game is completely opposite what you said. All we are doing is following a scripted pve grind and pubic quest gauntlet of events, completely mindless if you ask me. Nothing open end about it.

    I know the game is new and youre really exited. We all want to think it's the greatest thing ever, same stuff we say with every previous game. But damn, this is the same or worse than the wow model, other than the WvWvW pvp que.

    Mindless pve grind following a scripted path of events. The PVP is it's saving grace.

    if a sandbox mmo were possible, it would of already been made.

    shit, they're even making an Elder Scrolls mmo and it isnt sandbox, its even got a hotkey attack system like WoW for that matter, lol.

  4. #964
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Hmm, well its 2 days in, I guess one could say its maybe a bit too early to say, you could probably say its the best start to an MMO you've ever seen but really MMOs are judged on longevity not the quick fix. Not saying your wrong, its your judgement call, you can ofc claim it, but its not really much credence to some peopel due to the short time frame.
    Some of the people making that claim have been playing since the first BWE. So thats been quite a few months. They knew all their progress would be wiped out and they are more than thrilled to level up another profession on live now. That's not something I could do with wow. Sadly with wow I feel forced to level my alts right away for profession reasons. This game when it comes time to leveling my alts I will be damn glad to do it. Nothing in this game feels grindy. If I dont feel like doing quests I can pvp, explore, or try and find some DE's wherever I am and gain experience. When i make an alt in wow i honestly despise playing it and stop real quick. Wow's world feels dead compared to this which is one of the reasons I feel so in love with this game. It's finally a new breath of fresh air I feel will actually hold my attention past a month since I started playing wow 8 years ago.

  5. #965
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Hmm, well its 2 days in, I guess one could say its maybe a bit too early to say, you could probably say its the best start to an MMO you've ever seen but really MMOs are judged on longevity not the quick fix. Not saying your wrong, its your judgement call, you can ofc claim it, but its not really much credence to some peopel due to the short time frame.
    Well, actually I've been playing it for weeks/months thanks to my prepurchase. I've played ALOT more than 2 days. I'm completed the starting zones several times and I'm still thoroughly enjoying them.

    So considering ANet said endgame starts at level 1, I think I'm okay to assume the game play isn't going to drastically change as I level up. Therefore I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the game is about and can claim it's better than my previous MMOS.
    Last edited by Snow White; 2012-08-27 at 08:44 PM.

  6. #966
    Pandaren Monk Myz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,773
    Sandbox MMOs are like having sex with a pornstar: Everyone wants it, but when you're getting it, it's suddenly not so awesome anymore.

  7. #967
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    if a sandbox mmo were possible, it would of already been made.

    shit, they're even making an Elder Scrolls mmo and it isnt sandbox, its even got a hotkey attack system like WoW for that matter, lol.
    Archage is looking to be a actual sandbox coming out of Korea. It will be the next super hyped MMO coming along
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  8. #968
    Kind of feels way over hyped imo. I can't seem to enjoy any of the professions.

    When something is so hyped, people expect too much and get disappointed.

  9. #969
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Sandbox MMOs are like having sex with a pornstar: Everyone wants it, but when you're getting it, it's suddenly not so awesome anymore.
    Voice of experience? Because I can name a few I'd like to see what 'not so awesome' is like with

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 04:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    if a sandbox mmo were possible, it would of already been made.
    Darkfall? Probably the closest thing to it that I can think of.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  10. #970
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    About 13-14 hours in and I don't know.. I really have no urge to log back in. The graphics are fine and the pvp is interesting, but all in all, it's just very similar to WoW, Rift, and SWTOR (I played all three) and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It' slike I've done all of this 100x's times before. I really, REALLY am trying to like it but it just feels like somethings missing from it. In SWTOR I had alot of fun the first month, and Rift was cool for about 3 weeks, but in GW2, I just don't like it I guess.. One big gripe I have is the camera. I think maybe because I was expecting more since it's been hyped up alot, and every new MMO that comes out I have high expectations for. I never played GW1 either so I decided to try GW2 since every gaming site is talking about it. Any else feel the same way?
    Childhood was a magical time but we can't go back there either. In any case, just play whichever games you find fun and if none of them are look for another hobby, maybe one where you're not sitting down for hours at a time

  11. #971
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Darkfall? Probably the closest thing to it that I can think of.
    ya, its close. darkfall id say is more like an Ultima Online type setup with better graphics and updated combat, over calling it a sandbox.


    point being the masters of sandbox (Bethesda) haven't taken a shot at an mmo, but for some reason they are allowing Zenimax (imo, a pretty "meh" company) to make an MMO based off the best selling sandbox game of all time, Elder Scrolls.....which is sad, and confusing at the same time, lol

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 02:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Archage is looking to be a actual sandbox coming out of Korea. It will be the next super hyped MMO coming along
    hmmm, is it exclusively korean? will have to check that out, or possibly learn korean in the near future, haha

  12. #972
    Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    That's funny you're juggling 10 attack kills, 3 utility skills, 1 healing skill, 1 elite skill and 1-4 class function skills all of which are going to be affected by traits one way or another in PvP.


    That's far more depth then the same 7-10 button rotation used in WoW so you can grind up a piece of gear with 10 more resilience.
    Except you're not.

    From the 10 skills, 2 are going to be "auto attack" bland skills.

    From the 8 remaining ones, 4 for each weapon set, they will mostly be: A mobility skill restricted to weapon, one Condition skill, and one that simply does more damage. The 4th will probably just be a repeat of the other ones.

    I find it hilarious that you say you do a 7-10 button rotation in WoW when the game is actually far, far more complicated than that in absolutly all aspects, and most if not all classes have a major resource to organize, AT ALL TIMES, not just every now and then like GW 2.

    For instance, for my rogue, I have something like....45 binds. The abilities that simply "do damage" however only consists of like 4 keys (Ambush, Hemo, Backstab and Evis), and even those have conditions that mean that I can't simply press em on cooldown (Energy pooling, keeping up buffs, Ambush requires dance or stealth, Evis requires combo points).

    The rest 40 binds are all situational use, which on top of resources to manage, adds so much depth that this mess of a game can't even try to compare.

    The same goes for all classes in WoW at this point, really.

    Oh yeah, nice appeal to gear gap also, when at the high level of PvP, the only gear gap in WoW comes from PvE gear and besides that, everyone is in the exact same gear. >.>

  13. #973
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    If you don't want to do endgame than why do you rush in other games, are you just plain retarded that you can't decide for yourself to enjoy the game at your own pace? I'm doing the same thing I would in any other MMORPG, running around killing stuff and walking from point A to point B.

    And sub fee has jack shit to do with how much a game allows you to do fun...don't use it as an argument. If you are low on money and you can't pay for the game than it's not the games fault that you are low on cash.

    If you didn't know - other mmos are built so that you are forced to follow the main stream to get into content with your mates. GW2 is not that way since you can litterally play with a lvl 80 when your lvl one and both will be benefitting and scaling acrodingly.

    Sub fees have nothing to do with how much money ppl have to spend. It has to do with how much they value the gameplay vs money spent. For example - Im annual pass subcriber. Still I havn't played WOW for few months. I dont mind but it doesn't create a great positive picture for some ppl.

  14. #974
    Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Except you're not.

    From the 10 skills, 2 are going to be "auto attack" bland skills.

    From the 8 remaining ones, 4 for each weapon set, they will mostly be: A mobility skill restricted to weapon, one Condition skill, and one that simply does more damage. The 4th will probably just be a repeat of the other ones.

    I find it hilarious that you say you do a 7-10 button rotation in WoW when the game is actually far, far more complicated than that in absolutly all aspects, and most if not all classes have a major resource to organize, AT ALL TIMES, not just every now and then like GW 2.

    For instance, for my rogue, I have something like....45 binds. The abilities that simply "do damage" however only consists of like 4 keys (Ambush, Hemo, Backstab and Evis), and even those have conditions that mean that I can't simply press em on cooldown (Energy pooling, keeping up buffs, Ambush requires dance or stealth, Evis requires combo points).

    The rest 40 binds are all situational use, which on top of resources to manage, adds so much depth that this mess of a game can't even try to compare.

    The same goes for all classes in WoW at this point, really.

    Oh yeah, nice appeal to gear gap also, when at the high level of PvP, the only gear gap in WoW comes from PvE gear and besides that, everyone is in the exact same gear. >.>
    Yeah when i have to heal with my druid , i have to push 9 bottuns , while my oponent have to small 2-3 attacking abilities .....
    And i u dont have the latest gear = no1 will inv to ur arena team
    Farm to have fun ....
    GW2 : Plzbegentle - Ruins of Surmia EU - Sylvari Engineer
    WoW: Vergin - Deathwing EU - Elf Resto Druid (27/05/05 - 02/04/12 Perma-Banned- Unhappy whinning PvP customer - whos begged from 4.1 to get rid of the RNG of Regrowth ... )
    It seems ppl have the energy to whine for a game , for not beeing exactly like their <<main>> game , while it dont have a SUB , and they dont have the courage to whine at their Game Master for slacking and producing few PvE content ...

  15. #975
    Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Oh yeah, nice appeal to gear gap also, when at the high level of PvP, the only gear gap in WoW comes from PvE gear and besides that, everyone is in the exact same gear. >.>
    Except they are not. WoWs top-end PvP gear gap is bullshit. The only thing it achieves is to make those who either a) start the season late, b) dont hit 2200 early, or c) have a down week where the dont play end up falling behind in the gear treadmill, and fall to a disadvantage compared to the other 2200+ rated teams. The degree of disadvantage variates based on how many instaces of a, b, or c crop up.

    A PvPer should want to be on equal ground at all time with their opponents, not gaining an advantage that isnt based on skill.
    Corsair 500r - [email protected] - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

  16. #976
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Hmm, well its 2 days in, I guess one could say its maybe a bit too early to say, you could probably say its the best start to an MMO you've ever seen but really MMOs are judged on longevity not the quick fix. Not saying your wrong, its your judgement call, you can ofc claim it, but its not really much credence to some peopel due to the short time frame.
    MMOs are judged on longevity because they are built around sub fee or microtransactions. GW2 still has some F2P elements but it offers a great game straight out of the box. YOu dont have to buy extra maps or content or key to get into Raids and PVP. OFC ppl will get bored but then.... there will be B2P expansion in GW2 just like in GW. It will add to the game for sure.

  17. #977
    Quote Originally Posted by ucplayer View Post
    I played for about 5 hours on live(+beta about 15-20hours) and GW2 is not for me. Graphics/art is very good, and some other stuff the game has. But I don't really enjoy the combat or spells. It just lacks the "X factor" the WoW had 7 years ago...

    And I hate the downing state...I mean WTF. even doing normals quests if the mob is 2 levels higher you just get rapped. Same for group events where those mobs(sometimes 5-10 from nowhere) just one shot you and you need to fight in that state all the time and also heal the other players in downing state to save them...
    It's just stupid, the action is always stopped because of that. 50% of the time you are dead (in group events). Not fun at all.
    Already gave away my accound, never liked GW1, this GW2 I gave it a shot but meh.

    Just my 2 cents.
    You just suck balls... nothing else to it...
    Evasion is there for a reason as well as other defensive skills/abilities, thats right, gw2 is not wow and you actually have to check what your skills do and use them properly. Nobody is gonna hold your hand. L2p rather than calling game or its features stupid simply because you are bad player(which you obviously are if you cant handle 1 mob that is 2 lvls higher).

    loads and loads of people have been saying that GW2 is gonna be next big thing for MMO's after UO/EQ/WoW
    --

    not really getting into it, questing is the same, you just don't go to npcs to pick them up
    Only that hearts (which are quests equivalents) are very few in each zone (around 15) and each ne of them, can be completed in about 3-5 different ways, which is about 2-4 more ways that wow lets you for example. Not making it wont "stop chain quest" as such thing doesnt exist in gw2. Chain event sure exists, but event is random, its not a quest and it doesnt wait for you, it just goes on w/e you want to follow it or not.
    I find "questing" in gw2 nothing like in wow for example simply because i can do w/e i want, whenever i want, however i want... instead of being put on the rails and forced into playing in 1 possible way and complete zone in a way blizz wants me to...


    As for the OP, i have no idea how can you compare gw2 to wow, rift or swotr... i just have no clue... I hardly can find a similarity between gw2 and wow, they are just so insanely different. But maybe mmo genre just isnt for you?

  18. #978
    Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Except they are not. WoWs top-end PvP gear gap is bullshit. The only thing it achieves is to make those who either a) start the season late, b) dont hit 2200 early, or c) have a down week where the dont play end up falling behind in the gear treadmill, and fall to a disadvantage compared to the other 2200+ rated teams. The degree of disadvantage variates based on how many instaces of a, b, or c crop up.

    A PvPer should want to be on equal ground at all time with their opponents, not gaining an advantage that isnt based on skill.
    The fact of the matter tho... Is that most PVPers love ganking rather than fighting on equal grounds. IF you dont belive me then go look at games like Warhammer online and see how they built up the game for ppl in better gear to gank the noobs. But btw... thats why Warhammer isn't growing cause it throws every new players into the face of vets for cannon fodder. OFC everyone quits in less than a month when they realise that.

  19. #979
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadanon View Post
    The fact of the matter tho... Is that most PVPers love ganking rather than fighting on equal grounds. IF you dont belive me then go look at games like Warhammer online and see how they built up the game for ppl in better gear to gank the noobs. But btw... thats why Warhammer isn't growing cause it throws every new players into the face of vets for cannon fodder. OFC everyone quits in less than a month when they realise that.
    Thats exactly my point. After PvPing for 6 seasons of Arena and 2 of RBG, I am extremely happy that I have some PvP where I dont need to meet set criteria beforehand just to be competitive. It will be nice to kick ass (and have my ass kicked) based on skill alone.
    Corsair 500r - [email protected] - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

  20. #980
    Moderator aiko-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    You just suck balls... nothing else to it...
    Insults don't really get you anywhere (and that goes for both sides). It's kind of ironic. For all the talk I've heard about the GW2 community being "better", it looks the same as all other online communities to me.

    Disliking the downed state is a matter of opinion, and one that I happen to agree with. Dying while learning the game can be frustrating to new players when they then have a small amount of time to read all the skills on their new toolbar. Even after getting accustomed to it, however, it just starts to get annoying. Especially when you're in WvW encountering a zerg; you might end up being killed and then left alone while they target other alive people. You get to sit there waiting to die or try slowly resurrecting yourself. It's not exactly what I'd call fun or necessary. It just feels...there, and out of place. Not everyone played in the betas, either, and the dodge system was not explicitly explained in-game.

    This again is my opinion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •