Page 1 of 112
... LastLast

Anyone else disappointed in GW2? [NEGATIVE OPINIONS INSIDE]

About 13-14 hours in and I don't know.. I really have no urge to log back in. The graphics are fine and the pvp is interesting, but all in all, it's just very similar to WoW, Rift, and SWTOR (I played all three) and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It' slike I've done all of this 100x's times before. I really, REALLY am trying to like it but it just feels like somethings missing from it. In SWTOR I had alot of fun the first month, and Rift was cool for about 3 weeks, but in GW2, I just don't like it I guess.. One big gripe I have is the camera. I think maybe because I was expecting more since it's been hyped up alot, and every new MMO that comes out I have high expectations for. I never played GW1 either so I decided to try GW2 since every gaming site is talking about it. Any else feel the same way?
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2012-08-26 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    About 13-14 hours in and I don't know.. I really have no urge to log back in. The graphics are fine and the pvp is interesting, but all in all, it's just very similar to WoW, Rift, and SWTOR (I played all three) and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It' slike I've done all of this 100x's times before. I really, REALLY am trying to like it but it just feels like somethings missing from it. In SWTOR I had alot of fun the first month, and Rift was cool for about 3 weeks, but in GW2, I just don't like it I guess.. Any else feel the same way?
    To say it's like those games you mentioned is a stretch.

But you disliking it is fine,this game won't appeal to everyone, there will be valid reasons they don't like it, and then there will be the "it just doesn't feel right" camp. It's fine, you don't have to love it. I want you to, but if something is better to you, hell, go play it and have fun.
    Last edited by Dodrin; 2012-08-26 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ain't ever done anything like this before. And I played WoW for 5+ years. O_o

In WoW, I would mindlessly grind levels. In GW2, I've completely ignored my level and just done the content, because the content... doesn't feel mindless or boring.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 05:57 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you done that char instance yet?? That's nothing like them and is really interesting. But all and all if you don't enjoy it don't force yourself. I really enjoy the PvP and haven't really seen the PvE(mainly because I haven't been 80??). Since there isn't a sub if you put it down you can just jump into it later and maybe you'll think back and think I kinda wanna finish that personal story or something.

I purchased the game thinking the necromancer was actually a necromancer.

Turns out its just a warlock NAMED a necromancer.

Maybe it seems dumb or shallow to other people, but it really was the only reason I bought the game.

I think I expected the game to be something "revolutionary" in the MMO-genre from the way people have been talking about it which is why I'm kind of disappointed in it.

Deleted
    I think I expected the game to be something "revolutionary" in the MMO-genre from the way people have been talking about it which is why I'm kind of disappointed in it.
    This. The game has no doubt been over-hyped by many people, claiming it to be revolutionary, as a result, people like yourself have been disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing i'm disappointed in is that the Trading Post has been down for 2 days. Since i've started getting good items from drops or crafting i don't really want to vendor them. Now got 2 alts just to store it all.

People who dislike the game will spend most of their time QQ'ing about it. Same goes for any game. If you really like it, you're prolly playing it right now.

This is the first MMO I've played that rewards exploration. Find a new point? 5% of your level. Not some wimpy 0.05% of a level. 5% of your level. For me, that's huge.

I also never jumped ship for SWTOR, Rift, Aion, or any other "WoW Killer". I didn't even buy them. If I wanted to play a WoW-like game, I'd rather play the one I've already invested 3,000 hours into. After watching all the videos, reading reviews, and feeling the hype for GW2, I pre-ordered (and upgraded my system in preparation for the game). 10 hours in, I'm incredibly happy with my purchase and do not see myself getting bored anytime in the near future.

So, to answer your question, I give you a resounding "No".

I played for about 5 hours on live(+beta about 15-20hours) and GW2 is not for me. Graphics/art is very good, and some other stuff the game has. But I don't really enjoy the combat or spells. It just lacks the "X factor" the WoW had 7 years ago...

And I hate the downing state...I mean WTF. even doing normals quests if the mob is 2 levels higher you just get rapped. Same for group events where those mobs(sometimes 5-10 from nowhere) just one shot you and you need to fight in that state all the time and also heal the other players in downing state to save them...
    It's just stupid, the action is always stopped because of that. 50% of the time you are dead (in group events). Not fun at all.
    Already gave away my accound, never liked GW1, this GW2 I gave it a shot but meh.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Patife17; 2012-08-26 at 06:16 PM.

About 13-14 hours in and I don't know.. I really have no urge to log back in. The graphics are fine and the pvp is interesting, but all in all, it's just very similar to WoW, Rift, and SWTOR (I played all three) and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. It' slike I've done all of this 100x's times before. I really, REALLY am trying to like it but it just feels like somethings missing from it. In SWTOR I had alot of fun the first month, and Rift was cool for about 3 weeks, but in GW2, I just don't like it I guess.. One big gripe I have is the camera. I think maybe because I was expecting more since it's been hyped up alot, and every new MMO that comes out I have high expectations for. I never played GW1 either so I decided to try GW2 since every gaming site is talking about it. Any else feel the same way?
    I am sorry you don't like it. But you can't expect everyone to like it though. For instance, to me, GW2 is completely different from the games you mentioned. I quit playing WoW few weeks after getting to max level because the endgame was so totally boring. My motivation to play SWTOR went to zero after only 10 hours gameplay because the game itself was so totally boring. In contrast, GW2 is exactly what I have expected of it. Of course GW2 isn't completely revolutionary, but I think their content presentation, game mechanics, pvp and overall UI is miles ahead of everything else and that while delivering the best production quality possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    This is the first MMO I've played that rewards exploration. Find a new point? 5% of your level. Not some wimpy 0.05% of a level. 5% of your level. For me, that's huge.
    Not really. EQ2 kind of has it beat there already to begin with. You could literally spend an hour and you'd level up just by exploring. Well then again it is what you've played.

I'm going to hop on my brother's account and try it out some time later. Assuming he lets me.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-08-26 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsune View Post
    Have you done that char instance yet?? That's nothing like them and is really interesting. But all and all if you don't enjoy it don't force yourself. I really enjoy the PvP and haven't really seen the PvE(mainly because I haven't been 80??). Since there isn't a sub if you put it down you can just jump into it later and maybe you'll think back and think I kinda wanna finish that personal story or something.
    When I was playing the betas I did a bit of PVE and enjoyed it but when I went into WvWvW I really started having a blast. Everyone is different though and I am sure that there will be some people that don't like GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody's been acting like that. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

like i've always said, most MMORPG players don't like MMORPGs, they like doing what their friends do. that's why nothing feels "fresh" because the very nature of an MMORPG the problem

give me your account if you hate it, i'll make good use of it. i've found that when it comes to actually quitting a game, giving away your account so that you can't come back, people aren't nearly as decisive
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-08-26 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I purchased the game thinking the necromancer was actually a necromancer.

Turns out its just a warlock NAMED a necromancer.

Maybe it seems dumb or shallow to other people, but it really was the only reason I bought the game.
    LOL. You buy a game because you project your own subjective expectations on a single word? What is a 'necromancer" anyway? I don't see anything warlock-like about GW2 necromancer, which is as much a proper necromancer in my book as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    loads and loads of people have been saying that GW2 is gonna be next big thing for MMO's after UO/EQ/WoW
    --

not really getting into it, questing is the same, you just don't go to npcs to pick them up
    Last edited by jonte912; 2012-08-26 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    have you been under a rock for the last year? 50% of posts about GW2 is about how it does "Everything is done different" or how it will "revolutionize MMO's by removing trinity/balancing PvP/making questing fun" etc etc.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Guild Wars 2 is exactly the style and type of game I expected for the last few years. And plays more or less as it did in the betas. I am only disappointed that Anet seem to have released a somewhat unfinished game in the later zones and the massive amount of bugs we've encountered.

Oddly, the beta experience was wonderful. Headstart, not so much.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-26 at 06:20 PM.