Thread: MLG Finals

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I dunno about sports where you guys are, but for example in football its more than common for teams to rest their first squad against smaller teams in cups that they may feel arent as important. For example the Carling Cup in England generally wont see any of the big name players until the quarter or semi final. Are they being unprofessional? Nope theyre managing themselves properly so that they can perform well in the major competitions.
    You are drawing a wrong comparison. Your Carling Cup might well see replacements, but it won't suddenly see them play handball. These players could easily be substituted and no one would bet an eyelash, as long as it was communicated beforehand.

Similarly, matchfixing is being looked at quite severely in several sports, such as Boxing and Football. This should be no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    that's the main thing that bothers me about this. It really bugs me when people say they played against the rules or something. LoL has no rules really. There is no referee to make sure that play is fair. I know they didn't get DQed because they broke the rules of LoL, but still. It's annoying.
    They broke the MLG rules by
    1) agreeing to that ARAM beforehand
    2) agreeing to (allegedly) split the prize money.

If nothing else, MLG needed to set an example that people shouldn't be dicking around when there's a sizeable amount of money at stake.

Deleted
    I think you're all getting kind off the point here, unless I missed some announcement.
    It's been said that the teams are punished NOT for ARAM - and I don't see how could they be punished for not following god damn meta and giving the public a funny surprise as a part of the finals. The MLG officials claim that the punishment is for a collusion. The problem I see is that there is absolutely 0 evidence proving the collusion; moreover it makes no sense for the teams to fix the match to end the way it ended, since no one gained anything from it; it was Dignitas who needed that win and Curse was unaffected(if I understand correctly). So, we have a crime with no evidence and no motive? Or does MLG flat out lie about the ARAM not being the reason for the punishment? Either of those options is a huge slap in the face of that budding industry, a much worse one than the teams providing some unexpected entertainment to the crowd in form of ARAM or Dyrus deciding holding onto a pillow is a funny joke...

Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    You are drawing a wrong comparison. Your Carling Cup might well see replacements, but it won't suddenly see them play handball. These players could easily be substituted and no one would bet an eyelash, as long as it was communicated beforehand.

Similarly, matchfixing is being looked at quite severely in several sports, such as Boxing and Football. This should be no exception.

They broke the MLG rules by
    1) agreeing to that ARAM beforehand
    2) agreeing to (allegedly) split the prize money.

If nothing else, MLG needed to set an example that people shouldn't be dicking around when there's a sizeable amount of money at stake.
    No where in the rules for LoL at MLG does it state that an ARAM is against the rules. Also, prize splitting has been done by SC2 players numerous times and I'm fairly sure that it isn't stated in the rules that they can't split the cash.

I wonder what would happen if professional football players started doing then Hula instead of actually playing during a big game...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    I wonder what would happen if professional football players started doing then Hula instead of actually playing during a big game...
    I wonder what would happen if professional LOL teams suddenly started professional football... Also, as far as I know doing hula during a big game is actually against rules in football(as well as American handegg, since you could mean either of those). I'm quite sure current meta is not enforced by any rules in MLG, so IF they got slapped for it then not only did MLG flat out lie and slander both teams accusing them falsely of fixing the match when stating reasons, but also decided rules are for suckers and they can disqualify teams based on whatever they feel like.

Again, why are people so hung up on the ARAM thing here? After all it's supposedly not what the disqualification is for, it's for an unproven matchfixing that actually would only make sense to have taken place if the match was fixed the other way around.

Scarra (Dignitas) has said it more than once that MLG tournament week before NA regionals is very bad idea because no top team will take it seriously even with 20k price for the winner. That's just the way it is. It was not a particulary fun game to watch however, so that's a bummer.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think they participated in the first place due to pressure from Riot, MLG, sponsors, etc...what is a North American LOL tournament without Curse, Dignitas, and TSM? No one would even watch.

It doesn't excuse their actions...I mean, if anything, they should have made it more subtle by picking crazy team comps and playing a standard 5 v 5. At least then they wouldn't have been DQ'd and picked apart by MLG/Riot.

You can't make a mockery of a professional gaming event when you're sponsored.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2012-08-30 at 01:09 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

From what I heard Dignitas participated simply because they have new member and they need lan experience. These kind of things are bound to happen as the scene matures. If either Dignitas or Curse had team coach you can see on SC2 scene for example, this wouldn't have happened.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    No where in the rules for LoL at MLG does it state that an ARAM is against the rules. Also, prize splitting has been done by SC2 players numerous times and I'm fairly sure that it isn't stated in the rules that they can't split the cash.
    ARAM isn't against the rules, no. But the fact they both agree'd on how to play the game is matchfixing, wich is indeed against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackroo View Post
    ARAM isn't against the rules, no. But the fact they both agree'd on how to play the game is matchfixing, wich is indeed against the rules.
    Agreeing on how to play the game is not match fixing. Match fixing would be if they got together and decided the result of the game before it was played. Deciding to not use the current meta and to play ARAM was a change in how they played the game, not in who won.

10+ Year Old Account
    For anyone who, like me, missed this game: I finally found an upload on YT.

Part #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeW84S0liVI
    Part #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJEMokH7nz4
    Part #3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuklNCDUYpw

After watching this you can tell that everyone is having a great time, except the producers...
    Last edited by Liquephyre; 2012-08-31 at 01:57 AM.
    Grammar- It's the difference between knowing your shit & knowing you're shit.