Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

EA's statements on Swtor.

First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now
    slipped below one million. Last year we announced that the breakeven point was roughly
    500,000 subscribers. And while we are well above that today, that’s not good enough.
    The message from players exiting the game is clear – 40 percent say they were turned off by
    the monthly subscription. And many indicated they would come back if we offered a free-to-play
    model.
    Our plan now is to pivot and provide a two-tiered pricing plan which will make the game more
    accessible and grow the audience. The new pricing will go into effect in November.
    The first tier is a Premium Players membership for Star Wars fans who want everything the
    game has to offer. For $15 a month, Premium Players will receive comprehensive access to the
    game plus monthly infusions of in-game currency which can be used for boosts, customization
    and for moving more quickly through each level.
    The second tier is a free-to-play option which allows consumers to experience the first 50 levels
    at no charge, but with some restrictions on content and advanced player features. Upgrades to
    the experience can be purchased with in-game currency. Players will move at their own speed
    and comfort level. If and when they’re ready, they can easily switch to the Premium tier.
    Additionally, we are introducing new pricing next week in North America and Europe. Beginning
    August 6, Star Wars: The Old Republic will retail for $14.99 – essentially offering the first month
    free.
    The disappointing results of Star Wars: The Old Republic were largely offset by a powerful
    performance from Battlefield 3 Premium service – although revenue-recognition rules will push
    this very significant EPS driver into our fourth quarter
    Subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue grew 69% year over year, driven by
    Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    For those who are interested.

Also, somewhat related:
    A clear trend-line is emerging here. When I look at the quality of these games and the revenue
    they produce, I’m convinced that free-to-play will soon emerge as the leading business model
    for PC and mobile gaming.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-07-31 at 10:00 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

in-game currency which can be used for boosts, customization

What choice did they have?
    Even if they were still over 500K, they seem to have dropped at least 500K in the last quarter alone. That's an acceleration downward from 400K in the previous quarter.
    And that's before MOP and GW2 launched, and the 6 month subs ran out.
    I wasn't a fan of the game, but this is just sad.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Odegon View Post
    the second part isn't really all too bad. Think about it, essentially it's a time saver for those willing to spend a bit extra, no different than buying champions in LoL. You have 2 options: grind it out or buy your way to max level. Remember a majority of content should be endgame to keep the players invested, so distracting them with a long boring grind is a great way to make them lose interest in the game and quit. Which is evident in the subscription numbers.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And? This is a staple of F2P and has no correlation on paying to win. Please don't give me the tired leveling fast is winning at competition. FFS no it is not. Put on your big boy pants compadres, because here comes the thunder:

The faster the cap out of the free content, the faster they will have to spend money to play the end game. It is as simple as that. It is designed to maximize income for people who are dodging a subscription. In the long run it is only punishing people who are trying to play the game past the leveling point, so should have no relevance to people whatsoever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    What choice did they have?
    Even if they were still over 500K, they seem to have dropped at least 500K in the last quarter alone. That's an acceleration downward from 400K in the previous quarter.
    And that's before MOP and GW2 launched, and the 6 month subs ran out.
    I wasn't a fan of the game, but this is just sad.
    Pretty much this. Whoever was put in charge of the game needs to take a good luck at themselves if they think the finished product was good enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    well that makes it, i'm no coming back ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

Would only bother me if leveling was ranked.

Deleted
    Just reading the official forums, they aren't happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Just reading the official forums, they aren't happy.
    Official forums are never happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll try SWToR now, since I heard the leveling is awesome. For 15 bucks I can level all the classes and see the stories, sounds like a great deal.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this. It means that people with max level characters (who are already probably sticking with the game) can level faster through content they've already seen. It doesn't negatively effect other players not quite sure they want to pay for the sub fee.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Official forums are never happy.
    Yea the official forums of every game make it seem like the world is ending

Deleted
    It was fun while it lasted.

I have bad experiences with F2P MMOs so this will probably be the end of my SWTOR times.

They're gonna sell a bunch of game copies for $15 based purely on the name value of the game. Only thing I can think of is how the next report is gonna look...sheesh:

-Six month subs will be expired
    -Normal continued attrition
    -Addition attrition from players who don't want to pay now knowing it'll be free soon
    -Stiff competition from GW2 and MoP

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    They're gonna sell a bunch of game copies for $15 based purely on the name value of the game. Only thing I can think of is how the next report is gonna look...sheesh:

-Six month subs will be expired
    -Normal continued attrition
    -Addition attrition from players who don't want to pay now knowing it'll be free soon
    -Stiff competition from GW2 and MoP
    I'm actually super optimistic for the first report after it transitions, even with competition from MoP/GW2. I' wouldn't be surprised if subscribers increased and absolutely expect total revenue to increase.

There is the potential for TOR to pick up a lot of players that might stick around for & after the fantastic story missions. Those are quite the "hook", so to speak. Barrier of a sub fee to get to that great story presentation likely turned off many more than it gained.

If EA don't screw over free players and offer current subs a nice, fat wallop of coins-- I think TOR is in a better position now than it has been... ever, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is the potential for TOR to pick up a lot of players that might stick around for & after the fantastic story missions. Those are quite the "hook", so to speak. Barrier of a sub fee to get to that great story presentation likely turned off many more than it gained.

If EA don't screw over free players and offer current subs a nice, fat wallop of coins-- I think TOR is in a better position now than it has been... ever, really.
    Can you please get out of my head now? It's getting really crowded up here.

The problem is that there's nothing to do -but- level.
    TORtanic shooting itself in the hull.
    Again.

Infracted
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-08-01 at 04:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the end of the day you had to expect it i was following that game for so many years when its was just a rumour
    Bioware making a mmo what could go wrong ...
    I tried so hard to like that game after leveling a few characters past 30 and my main but couldnt keep with it, the free to play model seems the best course i may even reinstall
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right