Does PvP give exp?

I just did about 7 or 8 of those 8v8 BG style battles and I swear when I exited the Mists my exp bar hadnt moved and I was on a level 5 character so any changes would have been noticeable. Does PvP not give exp?

Deleted
    WvW gives PvP, structured PvP (sPvP) does not. So no... the type you're doing doesn't. For WvW hit "b" for the shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    WvW gives PvP, structured PvP (sPvP) does not. So no... the type you're doing doesn't. For WvW hit "b" for the shortcut.
    thats dumb why doesnt sPvP give exp? Half the time I cant figure out whats going on in WvW lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Thats dumb why doesn't sPvP give experience? Half the time I cant figure out whats going on in WvW .
    Why should sPvP give experience? You're already level 80 and you've got all your skills. Progression in sPvP is mostly skillbased.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Why should sPvP give experience?
    something to do when you are bored of quests to keep leveling?

Deleted
    thats dumb why doesnt sPvP give exp? Half the time I cant figure out whats going on in WvW lol.
    sPvP put you at level 80, gives you access to customising all your traits, skills and gear. There is no reason for you to have any levels or even be interested in exp to further your sPvP.

WwW puts you in only with the skills you've unlocked in PvE as far as I'm aware, although you still are level 80 with level 80 stats and gear... your PvE progression can help somewhat in WvW and you can also do events in there that are pretty PvE based so it's not pure PvP. It may seem hectic at first but I'm sure you'll get used to it.

There is a total disconnect really between sPvP and the rest of the game, and given that you can fully access all of the sPvP at level 2, I'm not sure why it would give exp. You do get a glory system so it's not like there are no rewards at all, there are just rewards that are actually relevant to the content you're doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't see anything wrong with getting exp in sPvP, but I also don't think you really need to, either. If all you care about is jumping right into sPvP, you really don't benefit from it. In PvE and in WvW, you do. IMO, you should get exp from things where you actually need the exp.

Also: Maybe it's because they don't want gaining legendaries (which can require 200 skill points, which you gain by grinding exp) to be too easy?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-26 at 09:35 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

The only problem with WvW is you cant do it. Been in queue for over an hour.

Deleted
    Complete the "Dynamic Events" in the area gives you a minor amount but nowhere near as quickly as PvE does.

As to why they decided to not give XP in probably has to do with win/lose/completion of objectives is very party dependent and to give XP in sPvP for anything but time as a factor would be "punishing" the people who may be the best skilled PvP player out there but ends up in pugs of everyone else who thinks getting naked and /dancing out in the middle of no where to just troll people wanting to play. In WvW at least you can go and do the DEs without relying on a PuG to be competent and do x objective.

On top of that levels do matter in WvW due to it draws a lot of stuff from your PvE stuff, where as sPvP has no reliancy on levels since all skills and traits are unlocked and you get level 80 gear. And as apose to what some people may have said/think about WvW you DO NOT get level 80 gear for WvW its just the3 stats on your current level gear get scaled up to similar stats said piece would have at 80, but actually getting level 80 green+ gear will give you a lot more stats then say level 2 blue gear scaled up. WvW is not near as gear dependent as other games, but having level 80 gear you will have more stats then having your lower level gear of your actual level, the gear you set up in the Mists is only for sPvP and not WvW, WvW you use your PvE gear.

Due to the nature of WvW pulling your PvE traits, skills, and gear while sPvP does not they give xp for WvW and figure anyone doing sPvP is doing it for the competition... think of WvW being a hybrid between a classic MMOs PvP servers and a BG, its heavy on the PvP but also has a fair amount of PvE objectives to do as well if you like to PvE with the risk of PvP, and then think of sPvP as straight up BGs, with this view it makes sense that the "BGs" of sPvP doesn't give xp while as .the PvE world with the risk of PvP of WvW does give xp.

I honestly don't care if they leave sPvP xp-less because there is no good measure as to how much xp you should get if your PuGing a sPvP since there is no mechanic that can acuratly judge how much xp you should get compared to everyone else wither same team or opposite... in some cases the top player on the losing team "should" ear more xp then anyone on the winning team but got screwed over by x amount of people on his team trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    something to do when you are bored of quests to keep leveling?
    So basically you want BG leveling.

Good god can we not get away from WoW for even 5 minutes >_<
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

It's got nothing to do with WoW. How is offering an alternative option to levelling via the rest a bad thing? You can in theory level entirely through crafting and what with PvP being such a big point of GW2 it would make sense to offer it through WvWvW and whatever the instance ones are called.

See, the whole "WoW did it so it sucks" thing really irks me. There's plenty of good, reasonable, ideas that are in WoW you shouldn't shun for the sake of it being in WoW. Inb4 some smartarse reminds me "wow didnt do it 1st".
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-08-27 at 12:52 AM.

I'm winning a ton of gear and bags in PvP but the gear has no stats, how do you get the stats in the gear? I'm guessing you keep everything in your PvP locker regardless of profession and once its full you get some sort of reward?

I already notice my robe looks better than most others, does your gears appearance scale with your PvP ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    I'm winning a ton of gear and bags in PvP but the gear has no stats, how do you get the stats in the gear? I'm guessing you keep everything in your PvP locker regardless of profession and once its full you get some sort of reward?

I already notice my robe looks better than most others, does your gears appearance scale with your PvP ranking?
    The gear you get in pvp is cosmetic. You can make whatever gear you're using look awesome with it, but it doesn't change your stats.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2012-08-27 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The gear you get in pvp is cosmetic. You can make whatever gear you're using look awesome with it, but it doesn't change your stats.
    I get that, but the gear I win in bags have NO STATS when I put it on but when I mouse over the gear they supply you with it has a ton of stats

I get that, but the gear I win in bags have NO STATS when I put it on but when I mouse over the gear they supply you with it has a ton of stats
    You need to put runes in the gear. Go to the Armorsmith and browse his runes and use the ones you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

I leveled through BGs and RvR in DAoC. That was released 3 years before WoW, and like 7 years before WoW BGs even gave exp. WoW was not the first MMO just letting you know cause you seem to think it was for some reason.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-08-27 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    You need to put runes in the gear. Go to the Armorsmith and browse his runes and use the ones you like.
    OK thanks! Is that in the PvP area or a main City?

10+ Year Old Account
    OK thanks! Is that in the PvP area or a main City?
    It's in the PvP area. When you spawn in the Mists, it's to your right, up the stairs.
    Resurrected Holy Priest