10+ Year Old Account

Suggestion for an AC Router

Hey guys, my current wireless N router is giving me more headaches than I can stomach, so I figure it's a good time to make the switch to wireless AC.

I don't mind spending money for good quality, but I'm pretty oblivious as to what makes one AC router better than the next.

Here's my use case. The router will probably be in the basement of a rather large house, but with some hassle I could put it on the main floor. Our neighborhood is rather crowded and I can usually see the networks from a couple neighbors at a time. We have at least 10 devices connected at any given time, peaking probably around 20 when I have people over.

Thanks for your help!
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do you want AC? No devices use it yet anyhow, and likely no mainstream ones will for at least the next year

Buy a good dual-band N router now and wait until AC has all the kinks ironed out
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Just bought a Macbook Air that has AC. Anything I'll be buying anytime in the future will be AC.

I know the AC spec isn't exactly finalized, but the important stuff is there already. I don't see why I would waste money on an old spec.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    ASUS RT-AC66U or NETGEAR R6300 are two of the better bets; end decision would be up to you. I have a Netgear now and it works fine, haven't had any disconnect issues with it or anything like that so I may be partial to getting another one of those
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    ASUS RT-AC66U or NETGEAR R6300 are two of the better bets; end decision would be up to you. I have a Netgear now and it works fine, haven't had any disconnect issues with it or anything like that so I may be partial to getting another one of those
    I just upgraded from a Netgear N900 to an Asus RT-AC66U and both work outstanding with no issues. Currently the N900 is my router upstairs and the Asus is my AP covering most of the house. Definitely can't go wrong with either one, except for the fact that the dirty jerk-offs put USB 2.0 ports in them and for that they deserve to burn in the Firelands.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, the N900 is what I have. I haven't looked at routers in a number of months; they were a LOT more expensive when I looked. The AC ones have come down in price a lot, I didn't realize that when I suggested sticking with N for now

Just ordered the Asus RT-AC66U, needed an upgrade from my 2 year old router as signal quality for wifi has gone down. But I'll need the new router for my parents/brother who uses the wifi while I have a switch in my room for the 8 devices all wired in plus when ever I do some service work on the side. I'll report in later as to how I like the router.

Deleted
    just something to keep in mind is that some routers (like the Apple Airport) don't enable the AC network by default. you need to manually enable it in the settings.

Frankly the router you use isn't the major concern, what your internet-network usage is. If you want to share media locally then the best revision most of the devices support is a concern (as I'm sure you know) but if it's about d/l or u/l then your router probably doesn't need to be that 'advanced', DSL ins't that fast.. and for the record you wont get better coverage without directional antennas etc. if you can, just use wired.. There's a lot of misconception regarding wireless etc. so always do your checking etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudopath View Post
    Frankly the router you use isn't the major concern, what your internet-network usage is. If you want to share media locally then the best revision most of the devices support is a concern (as I'm sure you know) but if it's about d/l or u/l then your router probably doesn't need to be that 'advanced', DSL ins't that fast.. and for the record you wont get better coverage without directional antennas etc. if you can, just use wired.. There's a lot of misconception regarding wireless etc. so always do your checking etc.
    Yeah, I'm aware that an 802.11a (from 1999) router could saturate my entire broadband connection, which is really really sad, looking to upgrade soon if possible.

I have a home server that's hardwired to my router, which provides media wirelessly throughout the house, which would allow me to use the benefits of AC.