Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Getting an SSD and HDD for my new build. Need some tips

    I have a Western Digital Black 1TB drive, as well as a Crucial 250gb SSD. I'm brand new to this (building my first pc, waiting on my skylake processor to come in since I live in Canada), and was wondering if anyone could point me to any resources to go about installing my OS and games to these drives. Specifically, I want my OS + WoW on my SSD, and everything else on my HDD.

    Question though, will putting WoW on my SSD kill the lifespan of my SSD? From my understanding, constantly writing to an SSD will reduce its lifespan. Considering WoW patches and runs logs, I'd think it would kill SSD. If anyone has any tips for this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! mayhem008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,300
    Quote Originally Posted by dagachi View Post
    I have a Western Digital Black 1TB drive, as well as a Crucial 250gb SSD. I'm brand new to this (building my first pc, waiting on my skylake processor to come in since I live in Canada), and was wondering if anyone could point me to any resources to go about installing my OS and games to these drives. Specifically, I want my OS + WoW on my SSD, and everything else on my HDD.

    Question though, will putting WoW on my SSD kill the lifespan of my SSD? From my understanding, constantly writing to an SSD will reduce its lifespan. Considering WoW patches and runs logs, I'd think it would kill SSD. If anyone has any tips for this, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    It's not complicated. Install the OS to the SSD. If you want wow there then install it there. When you install any program pretty much the first thing it asks is where you want to install it to. When you get that option point the install towards whichever drive you want it on. In your case everything but wow and the os points towards your other drive.

  3. #3
    It might kill the SSD by the time of your 100th birthday or something, if you use your SSD like a normal hard drive, it will last longer then traditional HDD's, the only downside to a failing SSD is that usually all data will be lost while a mechanical HDD there might be ways to recover it (anything can break down).

    check this article out

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dagachi View Post
    I have a Western Digital Black 1TB drive, as well as a Crucial 250gb SSD. I'm brand new to this (building my first pc, waiting on my skylake processor to come in since I live in Canada), and was wondering if anyone could point me to any resources to go about installing my OS and games to these drives. Specifically, I want my OS + WoW on my SSD, and everything else on my HDD.

    Question though, will putting WoW on my SSD kill the lifespan of my SSD? From my understanding, constantly writing to an SSD will reduce its lifespan. Considering WoW patches and runs logs, I'd think it would kill SSD. If anyone has any tips for this, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Hey Dagachi,

    Not to offend you in any way but there are so many resources available already about this very subject that it is faster to google it than to wait for responses on mmo-champion.

  5. #5
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,798
    You should honestly install all of your most-used and even less-used programs on your SSD, if you have the room... and 250GB is PLENTY. To ONLY put WoW and Windows on it would be criminal! Put your internet browser on it, any other games, any programs, literally anything that needs to open up/load.

    Your HDD should be purely for storage, pictures, video, music, etc.

    If you don't do this you're essentially wasting a nice big SSD. Like, why did you buy such a big one if that's all you plan on putting on it? That can fit on a 64GB. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You should honestly install all of your most-used and even less-used programs on your SSD, if you have the room... and 250GB is PLENTY. To ONLY put WoW and Windows on it would be criminal! Put your internet browser on it, any other games, any programs, literally anything that needs to open up/load.

    Your HDD should be purely for storage, pictures, video, music, etc.

    If you don't do this you're essentially wasting a nice big SSD. Like, why did you buy such a big one if that's all you plan on putting on it? That can fit on a 64GB. :P
    64gb is a bit risky. wow is ever-increasing in disk space, windows has the habit of hogging unnecessary space with temp files and junk, and given op is new at building a computer i question if he regularly cleans his OS hdd. Min for wow + OS (for me) is 120gb.
    But I agree, 250gb to just instal the OS and wow is overkill and wasted space. Not that the free space is bad, but is cheaper to buy a smaller ssd if that's all you want there.
    Now, if you tell me you want steam games in there as well (or other games)...
    Don't put torrent-like programs in the ssd. Stick them to the HDD.

  7. #7
    I've already got both drives in hand. I got them both at a pretty good deal, and the 250gb ssd was like 10 dollars more then a 120gb, so I just went with the 250. I plan on installing the OS + WoW at the bare minimum, and probably all my other blizzard games as well. Does anyone have a link to tips for keeping my ssd in good condition? I wouldn't want it to fail in a year or two because I used it like a regular hard drive.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by dagachi View Post
    I've already got both drives in hand. I got them both at a pretty good deal, and the 250gb ssd was like 10 dollars more then a 120gb, so I just went with the 250. I plan on installing the OS + WoW at the bare minimum, and probably all my other blizzard games as well. Does anyone have a link to tips for keeping my ssd in good condition? I wouldn't want it to fail in a year or two because I used it like a regular hard drive.

    Pretty much you let it do what it will do and let windows and it deal with itself. And you NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER run defrag on the SSD.

  9. #9
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,798
    Even if you use it like a hard drive, it will still last a very long time... longer than a regular HDD.

    Which model Crucial did you get, anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  10. #10
    Warchief Evildeffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nieuwegein, Netherlands
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Pretty much you let it do what it will do and let windows and it deal with itself. And you NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER run defrag on the SSD.
    With that many double negatives you just told him to always run defrag on an SSD

  11. #11
    It's not completely "ignore any write endurance".
    However, if you use it just for browsing and games, it is very likely to last more than 5 years, while a HDD has a 50% chance to fail each year after the 3rd.

  12. #12
    I got the Crucial CT250MX200SSD1

  13. #13
    You have about 80TB write endurance, which is 40GB writes per day for 5 years.

  14. #14
    Warchief Evildeffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nieuwegein, Netherlands
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You have about 80TB write endurance, which is 40GB writes per day for 5 years.
    That's only official write endurance, the MX series can easily get 10 times that in reality.
    But by that point at normal usage and speed the PCB has likely deteriorated from natural decay.

  15. #15
    So basically you guys are telling me, there is nothing to worry about. Put whatever programs (except for torrent like programs) and the OS on the SSD, and just go about my business?

  16. #16
    There is nothing to worry about. Myself I just bought a 500gb SSD for OS and games, don't really need more space than that in this day and age (music on spotify, films via streams, and if I do download one I just delete it after watching, no point in saving anything when download speeds are so fast nowadays anyway)

  17. #17
    Warchief Evildeffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nieuwegein, Netherlands
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by dagachi View Post
    So basically you guys are telling me, there is nothing to worry about. Put whatever programs (except for torrent like programs) and the OS on the SSD, and just go about my business?
    Everything you can install and run on the SSD (OS, Games, Programmes etc.), including Torrent downloaders.

    But your documents, pictures, any form of media files and your torrent download locations all to the magnetic HDD.

    I.E. you have uTorrent, you install that on the SSD and put the download location to your magnetic drive.

  18. #18
    Yeah as allready stated, plenty of information out there. HDD will break way faster than any SSD. If u dont write tons of data, an SSD might serve an whole lifetime.
    And since Win 7 they are idiot proof, u dont neet to tell Windows that u use an SSD, it will detect it by itself.

  19. #19
    That is incredibly reassuring. Thank you for the help! I'll ne sure to post my rig specs when I get my processor in hand (damn you skylake shortages >_<)

  20. #20
    High Overlord Ulminia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    178
    Samsung EVO 850 series are good SSD drives 250gb+ is what you would want and any mechanical HDD green or black are best for storage purple may be out of your range for pricing

    on windows 7 and up you can clone your current drive to the new ssd and activate trim once its done and you wont have to install again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •